S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question for "conservative" drivers

Old 08-25-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for "conservative" drivers

This is NOT a should I buy question. I've test driven an S2000, I know the firm ride and the need to keep busy with the gearbox. I was not disappointed in the supposed lack of low end torque because for my needs, it seemed just fine.

If I come to own one, it will be a mostly weekend driver, I'll keep it stock and I'll drive it well below it's limits. That means no dumping the clutch, no racing between stoplights or down twisty country roads. Truth told, the 350z is probably a better fit for me, but I love the styling of the S2k and the austere cockpit. I think it will be a fresh look 10 years from now where the 350z will look aged.

Now I've read of fried clutches, blown differentials and other maladies. I suspect however most of these have come from upping the HP of the engine, track use, or just plain abuse. If any of you are a conservative driver and willing to own up to it, is the S2k a reliable car when used the conservative way I intend to use it?

Please no comments about my driving style. I love the car, I love convertibles and I ain't some rich guy just looking to blow some dough. Yes, I'm over 50 and you don't want me driving crazy.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:31 PM

in a word - YES
Old 08-25-2003, 12:44 PM

I have owned two S2000's, and consider myself a fairly conservative driver.......and I have yet to put even .10 in the car other than oil changes.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:46 PM

I'm a conservative driver. I stay under 5,000 RPM most of the time with the occassionally usage of v-tec when getting on the freeway or for passing.

My car was the first year. I bought it used, and it turned out to be a total lemon. Everything was fixed underwarranty and none of the problems have resurfaced. I've got a new clutch, new windshield, some new gears, new transmission casing, etc. I think Honda has done a good job fixing most known defects, so the '03 model should be fairly reliable.

Having said that, I don't think the car will be as reliable as a civic, because it's a sportscar with new technology and the engine just works harder. Civics have many many years of history.

At this point, I think the engine of the S engine reliable enough even for conservative customers. You hear about problems because mostly problems get posted.

Because you will not be beating the heck out of the car or modding it out, here's what I think you will have problems with even in the latest model:

1) Weak differential, but since you're not launching, no prob
2) soft windshield will pit when hit by pebbles
3) wheels will pit when hit by pebbles
4) exterior paint is a bit delicate so it's easy to scratch.
5) New tires + alignment will cost you about $900

Note, you can't really control most of these problems except #1. The car still looks great even with a few pits. If I were given a choice to buy another '00 model, I would say no.

If I could by an '03, then definitely yes.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:56 PM

Smokee,

I would consider myself a relatively conservative driver ("relatively" being the key word) and would definitely answer your question with a "yes". The S2000 is reliable. My '02 is daily driven, currently has 43k miles on it, and it's held up fine. I do notice a few very minor odd rattles here and there, but so far, nothing has gone wrong mechanically.

As for my driving style, here's what I do and don't do. I do rev the engine high and VTEC it quite a bit, and I do drive it decently hard through the mountains (my commute is over a curvy mountain road). I don't drop the clutch or drag race from a standstill. I think this way of driving causes me to eat up a lot of gas and tires, but saves the car from mechanical abuse.

Go for it!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:57 PM

Sounds to me like the previous owner of your car spent most of his time down at the local dragstrip.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:02 PM

Sharks, if you were referring to me...
I'd say that the previous owner seemed like a nice enough guy. He seemed like a quite gentle person. He talked softly, and was sellling the car because he just has a baby. I think it was just a lemon.

But then again...you never know. Maybe he beat the heck out of it and sold me a line of bs. In any case, the car runs fine now. I have learned my lesson and will never buy another used car if at all possible.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LostWaffle
[B]5)
Old 08-25-2003, 02:03 PM

I have had my MY00 for almost 4 years. I am a fairly conservative driver, i.e., do not dump the clutch but do twisties and some light to light racing, and have had no problems. I have done the normal maintenance, had the TSB's corrected, and purchased a new set of tires from Tire Rack. Overall I would give it high marks for reliability.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Smokee
If any of you are a conservative driver and willing to own up to it, is the S2k a reliable car when used the conservative way I intend to use it.
I also consider myself a "relative" conservative driver -- I will even admit to be over 50 (you should read the Old S2000 Drivers thread). I've owned my MY2000 S2000 for 3+ years and I've never had any problem with it. To me, it is as reliable as the Accord I own. Once in a while, I do participate in some group drives with other S2000 owners and run the twisties in our area. But I don't push the car as much as some of the other drivers .

Quick Reply: Question for "conservative" drivers