S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question for driver's over 50 yrs old

Old 01-07-2001, 06:08 AM

Received 5,236 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I'll be 60 in a couple months, retiring, and plan to treat myself. I've been driving an 1960 MGA (rally cam, etc.) for the past 30 years, and decided it was time to enjoy roll-up windows, ac, etc. I'd originally planned to buy a Miata but the Michigan Mazda dealerships went out of their way to discourage me. I test drove a friend's S2000 and instantly fell in love with the acceleration and the smooth 6-speed. My only concern is the seats felt very confining compared to the MG. And, yes damn it, I have arthritus problems that remind me I'm not 30 anymore. Can anyone advise me. Thanks very much.
Old 01-07-2001, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a way, the S2K seats, Recaros, are designed to keep the occupant in place during spirited driving to help hold the person during quick cornering maneuvers and g forces. They are acutally quite comfortable and I have taken long trips in the S2K with no problem. The seats are quite different from the MG, I'm sure, as is the whole car.

If you fit in the S2K seat, I think you will get use to it. You are very familiar with the MG's. Lumbar support is not a problem with me, but it might could use a tad more. After market lumbar supports, some adjustable, could help if you find the need.

hth from a person approaching 50 in a couple of years.

[This message has been edited by Prolene (edited January 07, 2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 53 and will be 54 in April and I love the way the S2000 feels and fits.

The S2000 takes more lifting and twisting to enter and exit than my '93 Prelude and significantly more than my wife's Accord. If your arthritis makes entry and exit painful, then you might consider another car, or consider increasing your NSAIDs.

The cockpit is tight. If you are big or wide it might not fit.

You tried it and loved it. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 01-07-2001, 06:23 AM

I find the seats to be very comfortable (I am 43, 6', 175#) and prefer them to be very restrictive (supportive) as it provides more comfort when driving fast.
About 10 years ago I drove 7500 miles cross country in a Miata and was very comfortable even driving 8 hours a day. The Miata ride is a bit softer than the ride you will get in an S2000, so you may want to try driving one. Also, I believe the noise level is a little quieter in the Miata. Don't know how it compares to your current ride though.
Old 01-07-2001, 06:50 AM

I don't qualify age-wise, but occasionally suffer from a neck and back problem, which makes me less flexible and in some pain at times. I have found the seats support the back very well, better than previous cars. The only thing is that getting into and out of the car puts quite a bit of strain on the legs and back and can be slightly painful. Other than that it works really good, even on long rides.
Old 01-07-2001, 08:23 AM

"Painful" might be an overstatement.

I've found that you get used to the mild contortion that must be accomplished as you enter the car. Over a few weeks of ownership, your body finds the most efficient way of getting into the car with the minimum amount of fuss. For me, after nearly a year, getting in and out is not as awkward as I mentally noted it was on the day I first sat behind the wheel. Might as well be an Accord, for all my musculo-skeletal system cares.

I suspect you might have the same experience.

Old 01-07-2001, 08:29 AM

I can appreciate that the seats were designed to keep the occupant in place during spirited driving. I didn't realize they are Recaros, but certainly recognize the name. I've been hooked on road racing since I attended my first one at LeMans in '61 and involved with vintage racing for some time. Getting in/out is no problem. In my daily driver, '90 Maxima, I appreciate the wider seats primarly because they afford me the ability to shift my weight around when dem 'ole bones ache.

My concern in the S2k is the lack of wiggle room; it looked, once your planted in an S2k that's it. Lumbar support is a concern, that's why new Miata appealed to me

As for the MG, I factored that in when I rebuild the seats from the frame up.

Once again, thanks for the insight.

[This message has been edited by dlq04 (edited January 07, 2001).]
Old 01-07-2001, 08:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by George: "Painful" might be an overstatement./QUOTE]

Yeah, well in my post i was referring to the times i'm plagued by my back problem. Thought that might be of some relevance to someone with arthritis. On a normal day it's not painful, only as uncomfortable as any other low sports car.
Old 01-07-2001, 08:40 AM

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Not quite the right age, only 46. I have a herniated disc in my lower back so I do understand the need for support AND comfort. I do find driving the S to be a pleasure and have had no ill effects on my back, though my longest ride has been only ~3 hours.
Do yourslef a favor and try to drive one before you buy, to be certain.
Hopre that helps.
Old 01-07-2001, 08:46 AM

I plan to drive it a lot. I averaged 5k/yr in the 40 yr/old car, often 2k on a single trip. Imagine what I'd do in a modern sports car.

Quick Reply: Question for driver's over 50 yrs old