S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Questions about cross drilled rotors

Old 06-24-2001, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about cross drilled rotors

Sorry if this strikes some of you as a very elementary/redundant question.

I have really been considering getting a set of cross drilled + slotted rotors (they look cool ). I just wanted to ask if they do offer any real performance advantage.

Other questions:

1. Can I just change the rotors and keep everything else in the brake mechanism stock?

2. Will it still be possible for me to use Rick's upcoming powder coated calipers with a new set of cross drilled rotors?

3. Any reliable brands/sources from where I can procure a good set of cross drilled rotors?

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 06-24-2001, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moneeb, yes, you can change just the rotors. The only trouble you could run into is if the rotors are too wide for the stock caliper to fit. You would run into this if you got rotors that are vented for the rear.

I don't see why Rick's calipers could cause a problem, as long as the rotors you get have the same dimensions are the stock rotors, you are dancin'...

MG Racing supplied the rotors that are on my car. Here are a couple of shots...

Here's one with Brad (meat) holding the old one next to the newly installed one...

Here are lots more shots...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?...&a=12663856&f=0

Keep in mind that they may look cool, but the point of the slotting and drilling is to provide cooling, and thereby increasing the performance of the already very good stock brake system...

All four rotors sell for (I think) 895 dollars. They save about 3 pounds of unsprung weight on the fronts, but no weight savings on the rear...and the blue part on mine (it's called the 'hat') comes in a variety of colors, silver, red, black, etc...

Anyway, if you have any questions, ask away...!
Old 06-24-2001, 04:16 PM

Thank you very much for your reply Greg - I really appreciate it

Couple of questions:

1. Have you noticed any difference in braking after switching your rotors? Is the stock ABS system still fully active. The reason I ask is because even though I wish to get rotors for cosmetic reasons, I in NO way at will wish to diminish the strong braking capability of the stock system.

2. The MG rotors look real nice on your car . Do you know if there is an option of getting both the hat and the remainder of the rotor in gold?? I have a yellow stook and I was thinking that gold rotors with Rick's yellow calipers with black S2000 logo on them would look real nice!

Thanks man - really appreciate the advice
Old 06-24-2001, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just slightly off, they go for $795 - and look pretty darned sweet. as mentioned before, these are cast and not drilled, thus a bit less wear on the pads.
Old 06-25-2001, 03:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]
Old 06-25-2001, 04:25 AM

nope not confirmed. then maybe... ? they are or aren't?
Old 06-25-2001, 05:57 AM
Banned

1. Have you noticed any difference in braking after switching your rotors? Is the stock ABS system still fully active. The reason I ask is because even though I wish to get rotors for cosmetic reasons, I in NO way at will wish to diminish the strong braking capability of the stock system.
I have found the brakes to grab harder and more quickly. I will be at Gingerman this Friday and will offer a full report following that. I have found that ABS kicks in more easily, not sure why, but I have felt it in the pedal...proabably because of the increased grabbing. I only keep things on the car that increase performance, not into mods for appearance sake...and these rotors aren't going anywhere, if you get my drift...

[QUOTE]
2. The MG rotors look real nice on your car .
Old 06-25-2001, 06:11 AM

are the hat color noticable? of course not as visible as the calipers, but...?

and thanks for the clarification on the casting. I thought you mentioned they were, but couldn't find the thread.
Old 06-25-2001, 06:47 AM
Banned

The hats are really only visible off angle. If you look straight on at the wheel, you can't see the blue on mine. That, of course, will be different with other wheels.

Check out the pics at

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albu...&a=12663856&f=0
Old 06-25-2001, 06:52 AM

weird link didn't make it, but I think its this one that you are referring to in your pp album.

and this one straight on.

not bad at all, even in blue. I dont think I'd go for red on a red car anyways, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Questions about cross drilled rotors