S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Questions about cross drilled rotors

Old 06-25-2001, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for your detailed reply Greg. It really cleared things up.

Just one last small query - is there any reason why Brembo rotors would be preferable to the ones from MG racing. If so, does Brembo make rotors that could fit the S2K leaving the rest of the brake system stock??

Thanks
Old 06-25-2001, 06:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Moneeb
Thanks again for your detailed reply Greg. It really cleared things up.

Just one last small query - is there any reason why Brembo rotors would be preferable to the ones from MG racing. If so, does Brembo make rotors that could fit the S2K leaving the rest of the brake system stock??

Thanks

Going on what I know about Brembo, you should expect to pay a lot more, and if there is a kit for the S2000, I don't know. Perhaps someone else here does...

Bueller!?

Glad I could help...
Old 06-25-2001, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dbw1 is looking into making his a 'kit'. excellent braking improvement, testing with tangible stats are on their way. price is guesstimated in the 2K to 3K range, but unconfirmed until a kit is produced. the kit would require a bit more work than just replacing the rotors, because any change in calipers themselves, bigger, more pistons, etc, will cause the ABS system to freak out and not work accurately. not recommended to just swap the caliper with something from brembo.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:07 PM

The brake kit will be available soon . I wanted to trick out rear also . (reduce weight) . Big brake kit does not effect ABS . Increase of rotor diameter gives increase in mechanical advantage to brakes . Increase in piston diameter gives increase in clamping force . Brembo calipers that are used on street cars and most kits are cast aluminum and are not very stiff . This leads to flex of caliper and requires increase of fluid to move pistons . ( reduction in petal height , less ability to modulate your braking ) Drilled holes may look cool they do not help braking . We have added slots to front rotors ( for curb appeal) We will drill rear rotors (steel) to reduce weight . Or kit removes 10 lbs per front wheel . We are working on pricing for custom bolts to mount kit , rear rotors and supplying a kit for a custom S-2000 that will be doing magazine layout and import shows. If you go to Under Hood section look under Brakes you will find a lot of information on brakes and rotors . Our kit is using racing components , not street look-a-like copies . Testing is going great over 3,500 miles 3 different types of pads . We will have #7 pad available soon for both stock and big brake kit . Will go up to 900 degrees , very little dust , low noise (squeaking) and long life . Bite will be about same as #3 racing pad.

Brad

I still have post up with pictures of kit at Photopoint ( over 1,400 hits)
Old 06-27-2001, 07:13 PM

I bought a set of 4 cross drilled/slotted rotors using Brembo disks off the Legend forums for my Acura Legend coupe. Paid $352 for 4. You really have to wonder about the prices we are paying for S2000 aftermarket parts.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:25 PM

Casting stock rotors or drilling and grooving stock rotors in any kind of numbers does not cost much . Producing high quality racing parts at reasonable cost is not as easy . Most companies are selling cheap copies to unsuspecting buyers . Two piece rotors are going to cost more than reworked stock units . Forged aluminum hats with stainless bushing and safety wired hardware and directional racing rotors ( stronger cast iron ) will cost more . If you read Luis's posts about his Spoon rotors they only made them directional correctly for one side . Very high priced and a one piece rotor . The other items to look at is reduced weight and less transfer of heat from rotor to wheel and wheel bearings.

brad
Old 06-27-2001, 07:30 PM

Greg, your rims seem to be polished - I was thinking about polishing my rims but I am not sure if it does any damage to the wheel, or if there are different way to polish a rim - which is the best? Any advice would be appreciated
Old 06-27-2001, 07:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2x6spds
[B]I bought a set of 4 cross drilled/slotted rotors using Brembo disks off the Legend forums for my Acura Legend coupe. Paid $352 for 4.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Taipan
[B]Greg, your rims seem to be polished - I was thinking about polishing my rims but I am not sure if it does any damage to the wheel, or if there are different way to polish a rim - which is the best?