S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rattle\Harmonic Resonance - 4500rpm while car in motion

Old 03-22-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
If you can touch the dash and stop the rattle, there's obviously something loose under the dash, or you have excessive shake. You might want to replace the engine mounts, which are probably well worn, or further investigate the dash. Does it have an aftermarket stereo?
I'd also rule-out anything loose under the dash. At least before checking into engine mounts, catalytic converters, etc. It's a pain working under the dash --- sometimes, I wish there was a remote-controlled robot to get to these tight places.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I really love this community. I never worked on my cars before (primarily because I didn't have a garage and kept new cars under warranty). But the information on this site and helpful members have encouraged me to take care of small maintenance items myself and develop an interest in troubleshooting.

I do have an aftermarket stereo. I also have the modifry controller that maps the factory controls to the aftermarket Kenwood stereo. The controller is sitting under the dash without being secured. I am going to take the panel apart this weekend to see if I can't zip tie it more securely. I am also going to follow the steps in the rattle TSB and re-grease all the trim around the windows and spray the hinges. Hopefully one of these steps is going to solve my problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Suggestion. Before zip tie, place something soft like foam or something between box and whatever you're zip tying it to. Otherwise you might still get vibes.
The following users liked this post:
kasher_khan (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
do you have OEM engine mounts or stiffer replacements?

RE: the lost oil cap thing: sometimes people's oil cap comes off and gets lost on top of the transmission bell housing area and sits there and rattles.
+1 That happened to me.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:45 PM

I have a similar buzzy rattle noise coming from my passenger door, only at higher RPMs. It's to the point that I don't even want to explore the upper half of the tach... The buzz is literally that loud and annoying. Luckily I don't hear it as much when the top is down. Any ideas what it could be?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:07 PM

I checked the Modifry control unit last night in the dash. That's not it It seems to be coming from inside the door. At least that is easier to take apart than the dash. I just don't know what all I am going to be looking for in there, because I can't reproduce the sound without driving the car up to 4500. Maybe I'll just leave the door panel off or something for a while to test... Lets see.

On a side note, the weather was warmer this morning and the noise was a lot lower. We are to hit high 70s for the first time this year in my area. I am hoping the expanding metal and plastic's will make the noise go away on its own (it won't be the first time that has happened)...
Old 03-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Take off door panel, look for something loose. Idea to drive with door panel removed is good. Help pinpoint where its.coming from. If it goes away on its own, it was the door panel itself.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

If you have an aftermarket stereo, you may have component speakers, and the crossovers may be in the doors. Also, sometimes the tweeters can be glued to plates and they can come loose, so there are a few things to start with.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 AM

Mine makes a similar noise but it sounds like its coming from the front driver side wheel.... only on deceleration
Old 04-03-2017, 09:00 AM

In my case the wheels look fine. I just switched to summer tires this weekend (man did I miss my super sports I took the car out for a top down spin and to be honest the noise was much less worse (then again there is considerable wind noise at 4500 rpm in anything above 1st gear). So not easy to tell. But I am going to rule out anything to do with the soft top first, before I start taking the door panels off.

I plan to apply the TSB fix for the roof joints (already did the WD spray hinge thing). Now need to re-grease all the rubber pieces. Will do that this comming weekend.

NOTE: Just to be clear, the only thing I have that is after market is the k&N filter and Kenwood head unit + modifry module(Stock speakers). The engine mounts, suspension, exhaust and wheels are OEM. The car currently only has 43K miles on it and overall in very good shape.

Quick Reply: Rattle\Harmonic Resonance - 4500rpm while car in motion