S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Realistic S2000 Value

Old 07-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the Viper! That's a heck of a garage you've got going. And thanks for the confirmation. I hate to think of selling, but it's just not practical for me to try and restore it with my current lifestyle.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablosangelis
Congrats on the Viper! That's a heck of a garage you've got going. And thanks for the confirmation. I hate to think of selling, but it's just not practical for me to try and restore it with my current lifestyle.
Thanks, the Viper is a fulfillment of a life long dream. Wanted one since before I could drive, and finally was able to make it happen.

If you think it might sell better with stock wheels, I will trade my stockers for those Volks.

Worth a Shot

Last edited by lane_viper; 07-25-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper
Since the Viper got here, I'm out of garage space and might have to make a hard decision. Problem is the $6-7K is just going to pay something down, so It will feel like I'm just losing the S2k. It's worth more to me than anything I could get for it.

Hopefully I can just keep it.
I know exactly what you are saying about not gaining any cash with the sale of your S2000. It would certainly feel better if all of your debts were paid and you suddenly had 7k to play with or keep in savings.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by lane_viper
If you think it might sell better with stock wheels, I will trade my stockers for those Volks.

Worth a Shot
And here I was trying to figure out how to sell it without wheels so I could keep the Volks (even if they won't fit any of the cars I'm looking at lol).
Old 07-25-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Based on all that you have shared combined with looking at what I could buy here locally for S2Ks selling for under $10K, I would guess that your car would sell somewhere around $7K. Photos of the car might change that guesstimate. For that kind of money I'd probably be tempted to just keep it. But without having a protected parking spot for it going forward I can't blame you for selling it. Better to sell it now and pocket what you can than to have it stolen and then likely receive even less from your insurance company.
The following users liked this post:
Diablosangelis (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:07 AM

Good luck to you lane_viper. That's one nice looking Viper. For that matter, your S2000 looks pretty sweet too. Hope you can find a way to hang on to your S, but as the Viper was a long-term dream of yours, I'm sure that you'll be just fine either way. Good luck with whatever happens!
Old 07-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Good luck to you lane_viper. That's one nice looking Viper. For that matter, your S2000 looks pretty sweet too. Hope you can find a way to hang on to your S, but as the Viper was a long-term dream of yours, I'm sure that you'll be just fine either way. Good luck with whatever happens!
Thanks man, the struggle is real. The S2k has been such a big part of my life, but the Viper has been a lifelong want.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Seriously? There's a handful of California listing with salvage titles that are trying to get $10 - 14K!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...633940154.html

Now I feel like I should go see those cars, shit on it, and purposely waste the owner's time for the bullshit they're trying to pull.
Oh yeah. Absolutely. You could buy a clean car from Ohio and ship it to california and probably still be under typical asking price for that market. There's plenty of 50-70k mile AP1s here in unmodded shape for around $14-15k. I purchased my most recent S2000 with 100,000 miles on it for $10k on a whim. It's got an accident on the CarFax, but otherwise is flawless. Markets are weird, man.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 AM

There are some reasons for this. Keep in mind that where a car has spent it’s time can raise additional causes for concern. Cars that have spent a chunk of their life where the roads are salted in the wintertime require greater due dilligence on the part of the buyer.

This is why cars from the southwest and the west coast have traditionally been more desirable than say those cars from the midwest or the northeast. That’s not to say that I wouldn’t buy a car from those areas, but I just wouldn’t do so sight unseen. Most enthusiast cars like the S2000 are probably okay, but some guys do get a bit too anxious to get the car out of storage before all the salt and salt residue is gone. I’d just want the ability to either inspect the car in-person, or have a reliable third-party that would be willing to do so for me before I’d hand over the cash.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:59 PM

At 210k and mediocre paint, part the volks and you'd probably get 6.5 for your car. You shouldn't have expected it to hold its value completely. After some mileage like any car the value plummets

For example https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...633065408.html

Last edited by cleans2kbro; 07-25-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Realistic S2000 Value