S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rear tires bald

Old 04-21-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear tires bald

I know in the rain, especially in our cars, its not good to drive with bald tires in the rear. But what other problems can you encounter with rear bald tires. I already order a new pair but Ive noticed that it seems like my car accelerates slower. Also when accelerating hard on 1st and shifting to second, it doesnt chirp anymore. Is that because its not getting traction?? I installed 4.77 a while back and it might just be me but it seems like the car has gotten slower. Thats why I was wondering if the tires make a big difference.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loosing control, crashing and the car blows up
Old 04-21-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by darkfx,Apr 21 2006, 01:12 PM
loosing control, crashing and the car blows up

And rear end instability when at speed
Old 04-21-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at Costco the other day and they were playing this video in the tire dept. The video had 2 identical cars but one car had good tires all around and the 2nd had worn rear ones. They said that it doesn't matter if the car is front or rear wheels drive, but always put the newer tires to the rear. Their reasoning was that if the fronts were worn, it would send feedback to the driver and the driver can compensate. But if the rears are worn, it does stuff and it'll be too late for most drivers to compensate. Then they gave demonstrations in the wet, yeah, the worn tires car spun around, fish tailing wildly.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by littlerocket777,Apr 21 2006, 10:27 AM
I was at Costco the other day and they were playing this video in the tire dept. The video had 2 identical cars but one car had good tires all around and the 2nd had worn rear ones. They said that it doesn't matter if the car is front or rear wheels drive, but always put the newer tires to the rear. Their reasoning was that if the fronts were worn, it would send feedback to the driver and the driver can compensate. But if the rears are worn, it does stuff and it'll be too late for most drivers to compensate. Then they gave demonstrations in the wet, yeah, the worn tires car spun around, fish tailing wildly.
oh Lord, please banish those producer of the video

after owning and driving countless fwd vehicle, putting bald tires in the front wheels

and what effect it would have if you running bald tires?

oh, nothing much, you just have to repair the weld you blew off from your intake manifold and replace the car with another one
Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 AM

many people say that bald tires in the dry equals slicks with more surface area for traction. is that true?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:29 AM

Bald tires don't automatically mean "danger" - but for street tires it usually is a bad idea to run them that way. (usually the "good" rubber compounds are only used in the tread, so once the tread has worn away, you're driving on "bad" rubber compounds that are not as sticky).

The other big issue is obviously that you no longer have a way of displacing water, which is bad.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by koala,Apr 21 2006, 03:29 PM
Bald tires don't automatically mean "danger" - but for street tires it usually is a bad idea to run them that way. (usually the "good" rubber compounds are only used in the tread, so once the tread has worn away, you're driving on "bad" rubber compounds that are not as sticky).

The other big issue is obviously that you no longer have a way of displacing water, which is bad.
To take it a step further, you're technically putting more tire surface area on the road, so you are supposed to get better traction. That would explain why your car doesn't chirp anymore. I've found that the best time with tires is on a dry surface when they're nearing the end of their life. You get fantastic traction, but just hope the road surface is dry, because hydroplaning and losing control are distinct possibilities. Just to be on the safe side, take it easy until your new tires arrive and are mounted. Until then, you might wanna find a parking lot and work on your doughnut skills!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=dyhppy,Apr 21 2006, 11:28 AM] many people say that bald tires in the dry equals slicks with more surface area for traction.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Clayman,Apr 21 2006, 11:37 AM
To take it a step further, you're technically putting more tire surface area on the road, so you are supposed to get better traction. That would explain why your car doesn't chirp anymore. I've found that the best time with tires is on a dry surface when they're nearing the end of their life. You get fantastic traction, but just hope the road surface is dry, because hydroplaning and losing control are distinct possibilities. Just to be on the safe side, take it easy until your new tires arrive and are mounted. Until then, you might wanna find a parking lot and work on your doughnut skills!
i don't think that's true for every tires,

yes, you are right when you say you have more contat patch without all the gooves and water passage.

but some tires have different construction, the top layer is make to handle and the underlayer(which could be the case when you have very bald tires) is make to hold the shape or cord(not for grip, in short). if are you running a bald tire with this kind of structure/design, you are getting shitty traction.

perhaps jim or some other tires voodoo might want to come in and take over

Quick Reply: Rear tires bald