S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Reason why Aust 0-100km/h times are slower than the 0-60m/h times in US

Old 01-13-2001, 04:49 PM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by swiss2k
[B]the best time in switzerland is 5.8 (0-100km/h), with 98 octane gas...
Old 01-13-2001, 10:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jay Li,

All Euro models are 237BHp, but F20C2 engine.

David M et al, Autocar UK test with a half tank and two occupants.0-60 in 5.7.

Paul
Old 01-14-2001, 07:38 AM

There is a common misconception that higher octane equals more power. This is often not the case. Higher octance gas is less prone to ignition at lower temperatures. This is beneficial in high performance engines with high compression as it prevents pre-ignition, detonation, and pinging. However, dyno tests often show that lower octane gases can produce more power as they are more willing to burn. Again, this depends on the engine, weather, and just about every other possible variable. In the case of the S2000, the car has a fairly sensitive knock sensor that will pull significant of timing out of the car when it senses knocking. So running higher octane gas can help performance by keeping your knock sensor in check. But if the weather is fairly cool and you're using good gas the engine will probably not be knocking at all and 92/93 should be the best choice.

BTW, here in the states, the best you can get is 92 or 93 octane (92 is the best we get here in California).
Old 01-14-2001, 02:01 PM

A lot of good points here guys. I'm espec. pleased to hear Swiss say he has read a 5.8 sec 0-100k test locally - in my mind that is spot on for what I would expect.

A couple more points -
1. Yes, Oz and European models are basically the same spec. Locally our cars are rated at 176KW which is around 236HP. This is down from the 250HP which I understand the JDM models have (and also down from the 240HP US market spec).

2. Now someone on this site (I forget exactly who, but I think may have been AusS2000) in the post on Head gaskets stated that the JDM head gasket may be thinner giving a higher compression ratio. These vehicles obviously would benefit from higher Octane fuel.

3. In the US, Europe and Japan you guys have at least 3 different fuel ranges (in the UK its 2 star, 3 star and 4 star - sometimes 5 star too). Compare this to Oz where we have two ranges - Unleaded and Premium Unleaded (PULP). As I understand it the Aussie fuels are the equivalent of 2 star and 3 star (maybe Optimax is equivalent to 4 star, maybe not).

If there are any UK and European posters out there can you tell me what fuel is recommended for the Stook and what the Octane rating of that fuel is - maybe that will shed some more light on this issue.
Old 01-14-2001, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jay Li
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by MX5dude
[b]
American owners don
Old 01-14-2001, 05:54 PM

I believe all speedos tend to get less accurate with higher speeds. The margin of error might be less with a digital one (I don't know), but it's definitely still off by some.
Old 01-14-2001, 06:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2kturkey
[B]If there are any UK and European posters out there can you tell me what fuel is recommended for the Stook and what the Octane rating of that fuel is
Old 01-15-2001, 12:36 AM

As Luis says 98 Ron (which is not a direct comparison to Octane level of the American fuel) is reccommended minimum for Euro spec S2000, but it will run on 95 Ron, with a warning that performance may / will drop as the engine management adjusts timing for lower Octane fuel. UK petrol retailers are selling Super Unleaded with a rating of only 97 Ron in most places though.

These are Super Unleaded (98/97 Ron)and regular unleaded (sometimes called premium here,95 Ron) which are the only two ratings of unleaded fuels, 2,3,4 Star are not sold here strictly speaking as they were fuels with lead in, but there are lead replacement fuels available, and ULSP, ultra low sulphur petrol now as well!!!

Basically Euro and Japan are F20C2 engines, Japan S2000's have a higher compression ratio due to BASICALLY thinner head gasket, and develops more power as a result of higher compression in conjunction with higher Octane fuels available than in the UK.

250 Bhp is quoted but basically it is 250 PS~247 Bhp
Outside of Japan its 240PS ~237 BHp, in Europe / US and just about everywhere else.

Finally two S2000's side by side could easily develop different power outputs+/- 5% is the norm but with these hand built cars(relatively speaking) +/- 2% would be their target?, which could still result in 10 BHp difference in two identical looking cars!!!!

FINALLY IT HAS BEEN MENTIONED DIRECTLY BUT THE EURO SPEC. S2000 IS THE LIGHTEST OF THE LOT WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE SPECIFICATIONS, COULD MAKE A LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN THE WHOLE SCHEME OF THINGS. WHY IS THE AUSTRALIAN VERSION LONGER????

There you go, clear as mud.
Old 01-15-2001, 02:07 AM

Hi UKPaul,

in the Netherlands we have three types of fuel:

1) Euro Unleaded RON95 (for almost all cars with a
catalysator)
2) Super Unleaded RON98 (for performance cars with a
katalysator)
3) Super Unleaded RON98 with leadreplacement (for older
cars without katalysator)

The 2nd type is recommended for the S2K. The manual says
that when it's not available the first type is fine at a
loss of performance and higher consumption. So it's not
that the higher octane has more power, it's more that the
lower octane has less.

Greetings,
Ronald
Old 01-15-2001, 02:45 AM

Ronald,

HUP Holland,

I'm half Dutch, my late mothers side, originally she was from Rotterdam, have family in Amsterdam also.

Uncle and cousin are crazy Sparta fans.

Wish I could still talk Dutch, did so when I was 6-7 years old!

Quick Reply: Reason why Aust 0-100km/h times are slower than the 0-60m/h times in US