S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is removal of the clutch delay a bad idea?

Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Is removal of the clutch delay a bad idea?

Ok, I know this has been discussed, and before you flame me... I have read most of the posts on the board regarding this issue...

I finally have had enough of this stupid delay, shifting at VTEC from 1-2 and 2-3 has this horrible, horrible delay. So I am ready to do this "mod" and I know the 04+ diffs are stronger etc, but there are a couple things that puzzle me...

1. why would Honda use this delay valve in the first place? (I understand they wanted to preserve the diff when abused during launches... but at the expense of screwing the clutch at every VTEC shift???)

2. It the delay valve harmful at WOT upshifts, or does it just "seem" like the clutch is slipping....

Thanks for the responses. I want to do make the clutch engagments crisper but not if there is some benefit to this delay valve...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:57 PM

i cant see any benefits from leaving it in.

in the first week i got my s i removed the delay valve and lowered the pedal some, it was engaging way too high for my tastes.

the difference is night and day.. now that i've had the car for a while now, im pretty sure quick crisp shifts would have been possible with the delay valve in place because i noticed this car requires a certain technique even without the delay valve to get a nice hard shift without slip.

i never tried launching on the delay valve so i can't comment there. but without it i've had no problem launching.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE]1.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=suprfunguy,Mar 16 2006, 08:26 PM] I'm not sure I would say WOT upshifts are harmful...but it can shorten the life span of your clutch.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:34 PM

i noticed no change. the delay valve simply delays the clutch. so if you're lazy shifting, it's got plenty of time to go back.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:44 PM

Well I've pondered this as well and the other day I spoke with one of the service guys at a local south florida dealer who happens to be a member on here and he stated that despite the AP2 delay valve, they really haven't seen ap2's in with pre-mature clutch wear (at least not to the point it needed to be replaced). Considering its possible for 2004's to be at 40k-50k+ miles for the heavy drivers, if it was getting worn significantly earlier I really think it would surface more by now. He also stated that there have been a lot of ap1's that have done early clutch jobs, and from my own reading on the board it looks like 50k miles is not uncommon to see out of an ap1 clutch (granted this is probably attributed to driving skill as it should last longer, but assume the same problem with ap2 drivers as well). I honestly haven't seen the evidance yet that ap2 owners are really getting significant excessive clutch wear. I understand that the valve is slipping the clutch a bit, but the question is how much in relation to actual clutch life.

I think the conclusion should be, if your an awesome driver and know you won't shock the drivetrain, then remove your clutch delay valve and get the most out of your clutch. If your worried you might not quite be at that level, better a little more clutch wear than the differential.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:19 AM

Hmmmmm.... still a tough call.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The benefit of the delay valve is protection of the differential.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:30 AM

if you noticed, is300 from lexus they all have this Clutch delay device (CDD)
for example of : http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t...&highlight=cdd

also e46 m3's also have this lil bad boy... , people want to save their clutch, wants to drive better will remove this thing.

not just S2k' AP2 FYI

and again... this is the most useless thing ever created.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:35 AM

[QUOTE=Jsmply,Mar 17 2006, 01:44 AM]I think the conclusion should be, if your an awesome driver and know you won't shock the drivetrain, then remove your clutch delay valve and get the most out of your clutch.

Quick Reply: Is removal of the clutch delay a bad idea?