S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is removal of the clutch delay a bad idea?

Old 03-17-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as ive suggested before. (just my .02) get a stronger clutch,(stage 2 or 3) you will love your delay valve. undetectable, and saves your diff on hard clutch drops. this is my setup, and i have 40k miles on it. works sick. lates dave
Old 03-17-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by S2oooNvegas,Mar 17 2006, 08:51 AM
as ive suggested before. (just my .02) get a stronger clutch,(stage 2 or 3) you will love your delay valve. undetectable, and saves your diff on hard clutch drops. this is my setup, and i have 40k miles on it. works sick. lates dave
i thought when you upgrade ur clutch it will actually damage ur tranny due to harsh engagement? by doing so u dont really solve the problem but adding more potentual problems?

no?
Old 03-17-2006, 08:38 AM
R11

Originally Posted by asukadc,Mar 17 2006, 09:09 AM
i thought when you upgrade ur clutch it will actually damage ur tranny due to harsh engagement? by doing so u dont really solve the problem but adding more potentual problems?

no?
Exactly! By putting in a stronger pressure plate, you are simply offsetting the effect of the stock delay/PP combo. For those that say they haven't seen any proof of larger numbers of premature clutch wear on '04+ consider that the delay would only cause extra wear under the most challenging circumstances, ie, hard/fast redline shifts. I'd bet the large majority of S2000 on the road see very little of this (if any). During regular driving it has no effect on wear. And besides, I think the majority of people that have removed it did it for performance purposes anyway, not so much to extend the life of the clutch (other than the fact that a worn clutch slips even more, further reducing performance).

ron
Old 03-17-2006, 08:55 AM

yeah dude, don't upgrade clutch for no reason.. unless ur stepping into the forced induction.. or just simply take the CDD off..
Old 03-17-2006, 10:10 AM

LOL> sorry dude, most here just arent getting how important that delay valve is. it gets rid of the shock no matter what pressure plate you use. now if you have a stupid 6 puck disk, then youll have shock. if you run a stock disk, and a stout plate, the plate will be able to shut no matter what, thats the problem with the stock plate, not strong enough. so despite the misinfo above, DO change your plate if you have the cash. and run a full faced disk. trust me, ive been running this setup for 40K miles on my s2k, over 2000 clutch dumps, and i have had this setup for 10+ years on my drag car its a 1960, and we Add the delay, and run a full face disk, for no breakage. lates dave
Old 03-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by S2oooNvegas,Mar 17 2006, 02:10 PM
...and i have had this setup for 10+ years on my drag car its a 1960, and we Add the delay, and run a full face disk, for no breakage. lates dave
What car from 1960 had a hydraulic clutch??? Or a delay valve???

I am one of the "Old Scool" drag racers. Back in the day (1970's), clutches were cable operated and needed to be adjusted. We used heavy duty pressure plates and heavy duty racing springs to make the clutch return and grab as quickly as possible. Most of the drag racers from my era had one overly developed left leg muscle from using the clutch.

The delay valve in the AP2 will not allow the clutch to return and grab as fast as it needs to in a "performance situation". Normal driving, one may never notice it. I think R11's post below explains this action very well.

Best post:
Exactly! By putting in a stronger pressure plate, you are simply offsetting the effect of the stock delay/PP combo. For those that say they haven't seen any proof of larger numbers of premature clutch wear on '04+ consider that the delay would only cause extra wear under the most challenging circumstances, ie, hard/fast redline shifts. I'd bet the large majority of S2000 on the road see very little of this (if any). During regular driving it has no effect on wear. And besides, I think the majority of people that have removed it did it for performance purposes anyway, not so much to extend the life of the clutch (other than the fact that a worn clutch slips even more, further reducing performance
Old 03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
R11

[QUOTE=S2oooNvegas,Mar 17 2006, 11:10 AM]LOL>
Old 03-17-2006, 01:15 PM

i think instead of gutting the 04/5 slave valve, simply do a 03 swap with minor modification.. and call it a day.. wouldn't u agree r11
Old 03-17-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by suprfunguy,Mar 17 2006, 12:02 PM
What car from 1960 had a hydraulic clutch??? Or a delay valve???

I am one of the "Old Scool" drag racers. Back in the day (1970's), clutches were cable operated and needed to be adjusted. We used heavy duty pressure plates and heavy duty racing springs to make the clutch return and grab as quickly as possible. Most of the drag racers from my era had one overly developed left leg muscle from using the clutch.

The delay valve in the AP2 will not allow the clutch to return and grab as fast as it needs to in a "performance situation". Normal driving, one may never notice it. I think R11's post below explains this action very well.

Best post:

same basic principal. it is a spring hydraulic cylinder, and it is added onto my 60 karmann ghia. here, this may help, as these days you need to quote someone else to get credability, and who better to quote then who i learned from.

anti shock principal

thats all im trying to say. the stock clutch sucks, and thats pronounced by the delay. so why not get a heavier plate, and another new stock 04 disk, and replace it, youll love it. late
Old 03-17-2006, 02:23 PM
R11

[QUOTE=asukadc,Mar 17 2006, 02:15 PM]i think instead of gutting the 04/5

Quick Reply: Is removal of the clutch delay a bad idea?