S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Repairable scratch? Yes? No? Damn Tow Driver

Old 04-13-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS2000GT,Apr 13 2007, 03:40 PM
Just take the money, and leave it.

More times then not...when you get your car repaired over such a small thing, when you get it back..something worse will happen to it.

If you had black, you would go nuts. Maybe I am just so over forgiving to scratches because I have berlina? I just look at the car and it gets scratched
That's true but they aren't paying me but the bodyshop. I figure if they are going to pay for it, why not get it fix. I wonder if they would fix the front bumper instead of the door however I don't want to come off that I'm taking advantage of them.

Black would be a pain to match but silver looks to be a little more forgiving, i think.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:01 PM

Someone correct me if Im wrong but my friend (who is a painter) and i were having this exact convo the other day. Black can be a pain in the a$$ because it shows all imperfections but anything with a flake in it like silver will always be tough to match and unless everything is sprayed at the same time some difference will be seen. (But it will be nowhere near as noticeable as a big a$$ scratch on your door.) Im with SS2000GT in the fact that me just typing the word scratch probably added one to my berlina S...
Old 04-13-2007, 10:51 PM

Just put a sticker over it
I don't think you need to paint the whole door for that though
I mean pictures suck but it doesn't look that bad.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by jlstyle82,Apr 13 2007, 11:51 PM
I don't think you need to paint the whole door for that though

Originally Posted by crazysupratt,Mar 20 2007, 08:56 AM
it does show metal from what it looks like.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paint the door and get the bumper resparyed too. then put on a 3m bra to prevent more rock chips.

and yes, just thinking of the "s" word has already put 10 lines in my berlina.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:23 AM

whatever you've heard, silver is one of the hardest colors to match. the oxidation of the color, etc, makes it difficult to not see the new work. insist that they blend it in with the front and rear panels. i had a crazy man kick my door and mess it up bad, but a good body shop can make it look like it never happened. PS they threw the front bumper repaint in for free, but the job was close to $700. for the door and side panels.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by SS2000GT,Apr 13 2007, 06:40 PM
Just take the money, and leave it.

More times then not...when you get your car repaired over such a small thing, when you get it back..something worse will happen to it.

If you had black, you would go nuts. Maybe I am just so over forgiving to scratches because I have berlina? I just look at the car and it gets scratched
That is sometimes true, however if you can find a shop that specilizes in restoration and custome painting. With the new advances in paint matching and painting techniques getting paints to match is almost 100%. DON'T GO CHEAP
Old 04-15-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jlstyle82,Apr 14 2007, 01:51 AM
I must not be looking at the same pictures as you. I think it looks like crap and would be pissed if it were my car. Good luck to the OP in getting everything straightened out
Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 AM

try to see if there is anyway that they can pay you instead of the bodyshop. if not, try to find a body shop that will do what plokivos suggested above. that is probably your best option because the dor will still match and your scratch will be perfectly covered. if that doesnt work out, then you can have the door repainted at the expense of the towing co. good luck!
Old 04-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Received 500 Likes on 382 Posts

If you can catch your fingernail in it, sand, spot paint, and full clear... probably one hour labor, 1-1.5 hours refinish with full clear for the panel. Around here going rate is about 70/hr, so there ya go. Respraying the whole panel sometimes isn't the best idea because if the paint is even remotely off, the panel next to it will contrast especially if it's a door, whereas spot paint blends into the panel so it blends in. Granted Honda has the formula for the paint, but it comes down to how good the painter is good at matching paint because paint fades no matter how well you take care of it.

Quick Reply: Repairable scratch? Yes? No? Damn Tow Driver