S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacement air filter question

Old 05-13-2001, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi...I'm considering on purchasing mingster's jr filter but was wondering if that was the best filter in terms of performance. I was looking into the comptech filter also but have not heard much about how well it performs except for the claim by comptech that it dynoed 3hp which is what the jr filter dynoed at. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2001, 07:00 PM

I can't make any performance claims (although there are dyno numbers, for what they're worth, if you search for them), but I got the Super Competition filter from MG Racing, because I didn't want to deal with oiling.

Just another alternative to consider.

Ted
Old 05-13-2001, 07:16 PM

I've been considering this myself.
Old 05-13-2001, 07:19 PM

let me know what you guys decide...i have been pondering over this subject a while myself....
Old 05-13-2001, 07:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I happen to have both (JR & Comptech)and don't think there is any performance / response difference. It appears that the lack of pleats might mean the Comptech needs cleaning more often. Both are a good design with quality construction.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:19 PM

Thanks guys for some of your replys...hopefully we'll get a general consensus(don't know if I spelled it right but u know what I mean)on which filter would be best and maybe get a group buy together once we all agree on one and get enough people. I know that there have been no real complaints on any of the filters and that they are all good that's why I can't decide. Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2001, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the JR - of course, no gains that are noticable, but its 'all the little pieces added together' that add to the overall performance gains of your car. I dont care if it needs to be oiled. some filters that need oiling are not a 'must oil' kind of filter. on track days, several friends of mine avoided oiling their K&N for least resistance.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]I have the JR - of course, no gains that are noticable, but its 'all the little pieces added together' that add to the overall performance gains of your car.
Old 05-17-2001, 11:10 PM

I have had the Comptech filter for about 2 or 3 weeks now and I noticed the car is easier to drive (less hesitation at low revs). This is my first stick shift car and the filter made it easier to learn the manual transmission. There is some improvement on the Interstate as well when you mash on the gas. I am happy with the Comptech. If you are not into doing a lot of maintenance on your car I would recommend a filter with pleats. The Comptech filter directions say to clean every other oil change. I do the same with my two K&N filter setup on my Durango since they are not inside of a air box.

Richard
Old 05-17-2001, 11:30 PM

So does the comptech filter give u any gains in performance??

Quick Reply: Replacement air filter question