S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacement Tonneau Cover

Old 07-09-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Tonneau Cover

Has anyone else found the supplied soft top cover to be the most difficult and poorly fitting part of their car? Mine is a real bear to put on and take off. Once on, the rear tabs do not even come close to fitting the base of the body. Mostly, it just looks sloppy.

Are there aftermarket ones available? I'd love a soft one in leather. That would be nice.

Thanks,

Minsoo
Old 07-09-2006, 04:28 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Veilside tonneau cover. It is fiberglass, so no flexibility at all. It doesn't fit anywhere in the car, so you can't take it off, put the top up and drive home if it starts raining.

Oh yeah, it's a PITA to take off the car sometimes as the rear clips get stuck. Also, you need a screwdriver to take it off.

Looks cool though.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

MGR, most folks simply don't use the thing unless they're in a car show or something.

I think in 4+ years, I've put it on about that many times.

Yes, it is a PITA, and not only that but it doesn't stay firmly seated (at least in my experience).

The Veilside that ruexp shows you above is a pretty cool piece, but not exactly easy to deal with in the rain.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:11 PM

I have never even used the one that came with my 04. They are a definite PITA.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 443 Likes on 319 Posts

I used the soft cover all the time except when it is cloudy and and I am expecting T-storms. I know it is somewhat cumbersome but I've been able to put it on in less than a minute. With more practice, you will be able to put it on and take it off in no time. It does look sharper when you use it. Since mine is '03, I can't speak for '06. Perhaps that one doesn't have a good fitment.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Honda 367,Jul 9 2006, 05:47 PM
I used the soft cover all the time except when it is cloudy and and I am expecting T-storms. I know it is somewhat cumbersome but I've been able to put it on in less than a minute. With more practice, you will be able to put it on and take it off in no time. It does look sharper when you use it. Since mine is '03, I can't speak for '06. Perhaps that one doesn't have a good fitment.
Hmm.

It's interesting that this is a known PITA issue and no aftermarket manufacturer has stepped in with an alternative. I'm not sure if anything has changed from the '03 to the '06 but it seems very "un-Honda" to have such a cumbersome piece. Admittedly, I've only had the car a week, so I'm hardly and expert on putting it on/off... It just seems the clearance between the rear snaps and the top is way too tight. Also, the cover material is very difficult to stretch sufficiently to get both sides snapped in. I usually struggle with the second one for almost long enough for me to give up!

I like to use it because I like the look of the car with it on. It cleans up all the mess back there.

Thanks for the speedster cover shots. While the Veilside cover looks cool, it's not really practical for me. Ideally, I'd like an easy to fold, easy to put on leather cover that fits well. I wonder in my upholstery guy could fashion one?

--Minsoo
Old 07-09-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having had the car 4 /2 years I can honestly say that mine is on 95% of the time. If you don't want yours, I will take it off of your hands.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 AM

Never used it once since I bought my car with 17K miles to date. I wish someone can design a foldable hard cover so it can fit in the truck if you take it off.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 AM

If anyone is interested in selling theirs, I would be interested. I bought my S used and it didn't come with the cover. I think it makes the car look much slicker when on.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 AM

I use mine depending on where I am going. There are certain places I just don't feel comfortable leaving the top down, so I won't bother with it if I'm in a hurry and know where I'm going to be stopping. I have only had the car since January, and I can pretty much take the tonneau cover on and off in about 2 minutes, if that. It is kind of a pain in the rear, but it does make it look so much nicer.

Quick Reply: Replacement Tonneau Cover