S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rick's Aeroscreen vibration solution.

Old 03-15-2001, 02:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We have been very concerned that several of those who purchased our windscreen have noticed it undulating at speed with the top down. In our personal testing we have found this to vibration to be very slight to unnoticeable. However, a problem for a customer is a problem for us. We have been looking for a solution, which would be less intrusive to the lines of the acrylic screen.

Last night we arrived at what we believe to a very elegant, simple solution. Frost King Rubber Foam Weatherseal (3/4" wide - 7/16" thick - 10' long). The answers were right on the packaging; minimum compression - superior shock absorbing, extra tough and durable, seals around windows and door and "aero screens", many automotive and marine uses! This weatherseal will be included in all subsequent orders of our aero screen, along with easy installation instructions.

Current owners of the aero screen, who may be having screen vibrations, just write me at mullins@ricks2k.com for a couple of strips of the weatherseal with instructions. Or visit your local hardware store. I found this at Home Depot.

Here are close-ups of the installation from inside my car.

The Weatherseal packaging

Contents: 1 Roll - 10 ft

1. Either open the secret compartment (with he top down, or lean the screen back then open the secret compartment (the top up), to expose the sides of the aero screen base.

2. For the best application of the tape, clean the sides of the aero screen base with rubbing alcohol and dry. Many cleaners and "Armorol" type cleaners leave a slight oily residue. Make sure he sides are free of oils and fingerprints.

3. Apply strips of weatherseal to sides of the aero screen base. Bias the tape towards the front of the "ears" as would be seen with the screen in its raised position.

4. Since the weatherseal makes a snug fit, it must be compressed with your fingers before raising the screen to its upright position.
The screen does not need to be forced. Only slight pressure needs to be applied to raise the screen being careful that the tape is not being pushed off the back of the ears by the roll hoops.

This solution retains the stock look and feel of the aero screen, while giving our taller acrylic shield a more solid mechanism to ride in.

In testing, I have found that this solution maintains the aero screen
Old 03-15-2001, 07:17 AM

Thanks ReedZ! I'll drop by Home Depot tonight and get the materials. My windscreen (I have the 7/8 tinted) undulates quite a bit, even at moderate speeds but doesn't make any noise. I followed Rick's directions to the T when I put the screen together.

I will give this a try, sounds like a great solution
Old 03-15-2001, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Top down view;

Old 03-15-2001, 12:46 PM

James,

thanks!

This looks like just what I've been waiting for. I'll try this out as soon as I can find that weatherstripping.

Ted
Old 03-16-2001, 02:09 AM
Former Sponsor

da capo
Old 03-16-2001, 08:17 AM

ReedZ

Are you saying that you have to compress the weatherseal with your fingers on both sides EVERY time the Aeroscreen is raised?

Andrew
Old 03-16-2001, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Andrew,

I have observed mostly the first time. After that the sticky part has had time to cure and the foam has a slight shape memory so you wont have to compress everytime. Only when first applied or after the screen has been down for long periods of time you should raise again with a little more attention.

James
Old 03-19-2001, 11:18 AM

Woo Hoo! Frost King rules!

Thanks James for finding and posting this; now my 7/8th screen is stable and vibration free, even at my normal cruising speeds .

Ted
Old 03-19-2001, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Excellent,

I was waiting for someone to post independent results of this adaptation!

Thanks Tedster!!
Old 03-19-2001, 06:37 PM

Excellent! An even better idea than using black fuel-line tubing fastened to the sides of the aeroscreen itself, which was a bit unsightly when compared to this, more elegant idea.

I'm off to Home Depot tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Rick's Aeroscreen vibration solution.