S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ringing metalic sound at >8K RPM - Is it normal?

Old 11-16-2000, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would hazard a guess that in Greg's case the ringing sound is actually the sound of a siren approaching behind him!
Old 11-17-2000, 01:21 AM

Same sound in my car. It
Old 11-17-2000, 04:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT:
[B]someone said VTEC doesn't engage if speedo is at zero?
Old 11-17-2000, 05:27 AM

Its funny that I was going to ask everyone the same question.

I have this ringing or jungling noise at 8400 rpm plus and gets louder at 9200 rpm, when I shift. My friend notices it to be a lot louder from out side the car since I've raced him quit a few times. I have no idea what this noise is.

A few answers would definitely help.
Old 11-17-2000, 05:45 AM

If I were to guess, and that is all it would be, the sound emanates from a mechanical component such as a spring or perhaps shifter fork (mentioned above) that is not sufficiently preloaded and which has a natural frequency in vibration of about 7 to 9 thousand cycles per minute. Basically, the engine at 7 to 9 thousand rpm causes this component to begin vibrating, but it is quiet in other rpm ranges. It seems to come from the transmission tunnel or the back of the engine compartment, but when I am shifting at those revs, my mind is elsewhere, if you know what I mean. I would guess transmission/clutch related.
Old 11-17-2000, 07:12 AM

I have the same rattling/vibration coming from either the engine bay or the transmission. Can't quite figure it out. Again, just to make sure we are all talking about the same thing. This noise only presents itself at about > 8000 RPM. I am guessing what ever it is, it must be characteristic to our car.

Come on guys, let's get out there and VTEC to see how many people have this "characteristic". If there are a lot of us, I wouldn't worry about it. I also first noticed this when it began getting cold (yes it gets cold in So. Cal).
Old 11-17-2000, 07:30 AM

Such noises are very common amongst 4 cylinder engines. They are usually resonance related and frequently come and go at different integer related RPMs. Four cylinder engines are inherently less smooth than some other engine designs. The problem gets worse with large 4 cyl motors. Some of the BIg 4 POPPERS such as the Mitsu 2.6 or Porsche 3.0 use balance shafts to cancel the effect. If this is what is going on it won't hurt anything and can be noise or music to different folks. To get rid of it can require time consuming tracking down of each buzz. Sometimes a heavier bit or rubber absorbers help. Some four cylinder cars get buzzier after a few years as any rubber absorbers age.

Stan
Old 11-17-2000, 09:43 AM

Mine does this, too... I think it's kinda cool! Sorta like a battle cry. It really shows the racing heritage of this engine, as that's the sort of noise that race cars make. The rattling noise while off the gas and decelrating is tranny noise... common in Hondas. My roomate's '92 Civic Si did this also. Not sure why honda can't make quiet transmissions... my VW's always had really quiet tranny's. Not that it's a big deal. VW doesn't make anything like an S2000!

Old 11-17-2000, 11:36 AM

Got my car back today. The 1-2 grind has been fixed (hopefully for good). However, the Reverse gear is still very tough to put into. It would take anywhere between 5-10 tries to shift it into R.

The Technician guy said to give it time to smooth out and it'll be normal.

The ringing (bell) noise at above 7000 rmp is a "Residential noise" as stated by the Technician.

He told me that he called Honda Tech Line and they said that they have no idea what the sound is.

Just in case for those of you that want to know how many miles they put on my car. Well they put over 100 miles while they had it.
Old 11-17-2000, 01:41 PM

The same metallic noise is present in the ITR's engine as well. It is not a 7kHz transmission shifting fork resonance nor is it a "residential" noise - whatever that is. What you're hearing is the natural frequency of the block with the firing pulses being the forcing function. You are also hearing some chain whine and PERHAPS the camshaft natural frequency. There is also alternator and any other rotating mechanisms of the engine.

Quick Reply: Ringing metalic sound at >8K RPM - Is it normal?