S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

road trip coming up....

Old 05-29-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default road trip coming up....

end of this month, i'm heading up to chicago for my wedding. its about a 900 mile drive and i'm taking the s. just want to know if there are any things i should be aware of with taking a car like this on a long road trip. before i leave i'm up for a engine, tran., and diff fluid change, but if some of you are out there that have taken thier cars on a long trip, i'd appreciate any advice. the car has 38k miles on it. thanks!
Old 05-29-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sunscreen and or a long sleeve shirt. A visor or hat to pretect you head and face from the sun as well.

Best advice: Enjoy the drive.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

sure will, looking forward to going through the mountians
Old 05-29-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you use any "special" brand of oil, take some of that with you, along with a small funnel and paper towels.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, having just gone from Seattle to Santa Fe, my only advice is to make sure you avoid road construction, especially if you happen to be on the US-191 in Utah and Colorado (which luckily isn't on your route, I'm guessing). I ended up going through a minefield of rocks, following a pilot car that went an extremely fast 30 mph. I wanted to go like 5 mph, but if I had I would've been passed, which would've been much worse. As well as knicks all over, a couple of seeds of cracks in the windshield and who-knows-what to my underside, I blew a flat on my right rear tire. Thank God a semi-nearby town had the same size tire (now treads are mismatched ) and I could get back on my way. If only the f*$#%ing people posted a warning and, oh, I don't know, maybe a detour route ...?! As I wind up my vent, can I ask if anyone thinks I can do something about this? The tire cost $250; I am going to get it checked out this weekend, and I honestly can't guess how much it'd take to fix the knicks .... The poor thing only had 1380 miles on it and was so beautiful before it aged 2 yrs in about 5 hrs. Seems to me the State should be responsible for allowing such terrible conditions?

Aside from the above fiasco, it was an awesome ride. Mountains, plains, desert scenery, windy roads, straight roads, ... It was a great way to finish breaking in the car and finally getting to go into vtec! I agree about the sunscreen ... I have a terrible farmer's tan now and it was only with concerted effort that I don't have a sunglasses tan as well. Oh, and having the owner's manual and all my paperwork ended up being really handy!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

can of fix a flat and make sure you have windshield wiper fluid (bugs .. unless you have a can of stoner and something to wipe them off with)

congrats on your wedding
Old 05-29-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes, on long trips at highway speeds with the top down, I like wearing earplugs.
Enjoy,
Russ
Old 05-29-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've gotten a bunch of good replies so far. Nothing really that I can add other than to say that I drove mine on a 6k round trip from the Texas Gulf Coast to California last July (spent time from San Fransisco Bay area down to Cambria, back up almost to Eureka, all on Hwy 1 ) and had a great time.

The S2000 is a better road car than many give it credit for. Try to give yourself some time to take back roads along the way. I avoided interstates as much as possible, drove to enjoy the scenery, and got gas mileage in the upper 20's to low 30's with no problems at all!

You'll have a great time!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a wedding to attend in California next year, I'm looking forward to the drive with my cousin being the codriver. I live all the way in New Jersey. ...it will be more expensive to drive especially with current gas prices but I'm sure the memories will be taken in forever.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just came back from 800 miles. very important, get something to act as a headrest and lean back. it will help your lower back relax.

i was quite surprised by how good i felt after driving for so long. the s2000 is a bit of magic.

Quick Reply: road trip coming up....