S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rolling (or basically ruining) Fenders

Old 10-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rolling (or basically ruining) Fenders

Why do more and more owners roll their fenders to accommodate overly aggressive, non-S2K offset wheels? I understand wider wheels may look better to most, and that wider front wheels and tires can eliminate whatever little understeer is present on a track. But rolling fenders is ridiculous, especially when there are wide, aftermarket fenders available.

I just shake my head in disbelief when I click on a Gallery post only to see completely ruined fenders with uneven edges, bumps and paint chips. And then, many of the responses say "dope" or "need to roll my fenders." SERIOUSLY? It looks like garbage! Congrats on taking a beautiful car and damaging the body.

Does this irk anyone else? And I know, I know, "whatever floats their boat" or "it's their car" are fair responses. It's also fair though to think it's an absolutely stupid thing to do.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its done well and not overdone, then I don't mind it. I think it looks horrible as you describe when its wavy and chipped looking like someone used a ball-peen hammer to roll their fenders.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You know it is possible to roll them without damaging them....I have mine rolled and pinched with no adverse effects. I don't have super aggressive wheels (18x8+50/18x9.5+55), but the tires were still rubbing (lowered on PSS9's).

Scott-
Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You're describing poorly rolled fenders..... done correctly there is no ripples or paint damage and to the casual observer no modifications done.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:02 AM

I agree with the op.
Never saw why you would want to do this.
I get that you want wider wheels or a more aggressive look but its just not for me.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know why. Because it's the choice of whoever owns the car.

Nobody is the same, leave it to whoever to do whatever they wish.

This is the reason you can see people with HORRIBLY rolled fenders with rust/paint missing and then in the same breath you can find perfectly rolled fenders with no ripple or cracking. Everyone has their own way of doing things some good and some bad, and those people who don't do their own thing to the car are either going to be cheap(crappy) or spend some good money(look good) to have someone else do it for them. I rolled the fenders on my old car with a Baseball bat and a Hammer, but it looks GOOD because I'm not a hack and took my time/used a heat gun.

It's never how you do it, it's the end result that counts.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

It is my opinion that it decreases the value of the vehicle. I will never be rolling my fenders. If it's properly done then I don't mind if you're trying to run +45 with appropriate sized tires. I've seen more ruined fenders than properly rolled fenders though, and for that reason it leaves me with a sour taste regarding the issue.

On that note, this thread will not be used to bash other members on the forum. Let's keep it clean and generalized.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 AM

I got mine rolled by another forum member... can't even tell its done when its done right.
Name:  IMAG0495.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  47.1 KB
Old 10-09-2011, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do realize that fenders can be rolled w/o any change in external appearance?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 AM

I can't believe how many people leave their cars stock and never take them to the track and worry about decreasing their value. The car is meant to be enjoyed and it's up to the owner as to how they are going to enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Rolling (or basically ruining) Fenders