S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Roof latches poke through top when down

Old 08-21-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof latches poke through top when down

I just got an 02 S2K recently and have been enjoying every minute with it. One thing that does have me concerned after reading all these posts about top wear and holes is how the roof latches poke through the roof when it is folded. I can feel the indentations along the surface of the roof and notice the bumps and dimples of the latch marks after I raise the roof. Is this normal???? I did a search but could not find an answer in other threads. It can't be by design, it's a Honda If this is normal, they could have used a shorter handle on the latch and not have this problem.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to snap the latches back after you unhook them from the strikers.
I have no idea if that's your problem. I'm not exactly sure of your situation. Do you care to elaborate?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:13 PM

I just looked at mine and the roof latches are on the header that rests on the windshield frame when the top is up. With the top down and the tonneau (boot cover) off they are sticking straight up with nothing around them. The top material is underneath the latches and is six inches away from them.

You have me confused, I can see no way that they will contact the top. What are you calling a "latch"? Are you perhaps referring to the metal frame members? The latches are mounted on the metal header that runs across the front of the top and are well away from the top when it's down.

Bob
Old 08-21-2003, 05:38 PM

Perhaps it would be best if you could take a picture and post it on here for clarification
Old 08-21-2003, 05:39 PM

The part that is poking at the roof when it is down is the back part of the latch handle where the release button is. I lower the top as intended: release both latches, snap the handle back to the top, and lower the top. When it is lowered, the back of the handle pokes through the top, creating bumps and dimples. It does not seem right to have the handle pressing against the roof like that. I hope that clarifies my problem and thanks for the help.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:41 PM

I think hes talking about the popular "wear holes" spot.. one on each side... eventually it does wear thin... can't do much about it..
Old 08-21-2003, 05:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlkNRedS2K
[B]The part that is poking at the roof when it is down is the back part of the latch handle where the release button is.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:57 PM

Here's a picture of the driver's side, but the passenger side's the same way as well:
Old 08-21-2003, 06:03 PM

Ah, I see what you mean... Hmm.. I've never really noticed that on my car. I will have to check the next time I've got the top down. To date, though, I don't remember seeing any dimples or bumps after putting the top back up. But then again, my car is still less than 2 months old.

Maybe it would help to put something there to cushion the latch against the material, if it bugs you that much. I think that might be the only way to go in this instance.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:54 PM

I'm resurrecting this old thread because it came up when I was searching my problem. Specifically the stress that is placed on the convertible top material in the down position. I noticed "dimpling" in the material after I put the top up as described in this thread. Then I inspected the top further and noticed that this stress point was pulling apart the thermobond that attaches the convertible top material to the tab that is attached to the rib. I showed it to the dealer and they're going to replace the top under warranty. Anyone else experienced this and are there any suggestions to keep the new top from doing the same thing again?

Latch stress point with top down

Dimples when top is up

Thermal bond failure next to rib

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Roof latches poke through top when down