S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RPM limiter switch?

Old 02-24-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, i'm just thinking out loud here, so please excuse me if this has already been posted. I read through the thread about the dealership who V-Tec'd a customer's car to test the brakes. Totally uncalled for IMHO.

This got me thinking, is there any chip or switch we can add that will not allow the car to rev past 5k rpms? With my old TT, you could get an aftermarket program put in the computer that would only allow 3k rpms... perfect for valet parking/abusive techs at the dealership. any ideas?

dave
Old 02-24-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You know, that's a helluva good idea, Dave. A rev-limiter decrease would be a great feature for the break-in period. I see no reason why Honda couldn't do that.

Of course, that wouldn't stop folks from downshifting into VTEC, but hey....

Good thinkin' (no, I've not heard of such a thing being available).
Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 PM

That would be a very good product for break-in and for the dealership!

-Matt
Old 02-24-2003, 06:15 PM

well, at least for my audi, this functionality required "chipping" the car which of course brings up all sorts of waranty issues. Anyone know if any of the tuners are working on this for the s2000? I'd find it a REALLY nice feature to have. I wouldn't feel so bad about a Valet Parking Attendant taking my car if he could only hit 3k rpm

Ok, so is the S2000 drive by wire? For those who don't know what drive by wire is: basically the gas pedal isn't even physically connected to the engine, it's computerized. The amount of throttle input you give with your foot goes as an electrical signal to the ECU and the ECU opens the gas valve on the engine. All audi's are drive by wire.

I think this might be the determining factor if this idea is possible.

dave
Old 02-24-2003, 06:20 PM

This is second-hand, but I've heard multiple people say there are no "chip" mods for the S2000. What you're talking about, of course, is not to increase power but to protect the engine (and I think it's a great idea). Most "chipping" is to change the valve program or timing, and I think the S2000 is already optimized in those areas.

Now, if you go aftermarket with FI, that's another story!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be a fuse under the hood which, when pulled, will prevent VTEC engagement. Maybe somebody has a Helm's manual or owner's manual handy and can look.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:35 PM

Check out Modifry's shift module. It has the ability to set off an alarm at any point in the rpm range that YOU select. It can easily be armed before you get out of the car at the dealer via the cruise control AND it will tell you the maximum rpm that was reach since you last cleared it. I installed this last year and I give this little thing "Mod of the Year".
Old 02-24-2003, 06:44 PM

The Modifry thing sounds good.

Gee, folks... I've been looking through the factory service manual, and I haven't been able to locate a fuse which talks about VTEC. Is it part of the PGM-FI system, or something independent?

I have located a VTEC oil pressure switch, and a VTEC solenoid valve. I assume it's the solenoid we'd want to disable.

Anyone having better luck?
Old 02-24-2003, 07:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you could deactivate the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch (you'd get a CEL, though) BUT the revs could still go all the way up to redline, only without VTEC. You need the same sort of intervention as the ECU uses to prevent revving past the VTEC rpm point. ie. Fuel shut-off. If you could design a "reverse" relay where no signal would maintain the fuel pump operational, but when a signal is sent (as in Modifry's shift module), the fuel pump is shut down, you'd have what you want.
Modifry?
Old 02-24-2003, 08:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dgarnett
[B]Hey guys, i'm just thinking out loud here, so please excuse me if this has already been posted.

Quick Reply: RPM limiter switch?