S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is the RX-8 or S2000 the one for me?

Old 03-21-2004, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This frustrates me...

I'm trying to find out whether or not to buy an S2000 or an RX-8. I currently drive a 1991 RX-7 (in sig) and I have to say I don't mind not having a back seat. I love hardtops, but Convertibles are also awesome (only if it's made to be a two-seater roadster)

I also plan to have my next car for 5 years or so, and I love things like Autocross, and will probably attend some track events...

Reliability is also a concern... although I know the NA Rotary can last just as long as the honda if treated with care, I have my doubts.

Performance wise, I've seen videos of the S2000 beating the RX-8 in everything... and Car & Driver thinks differently. Both are in the Car & Driver top 10... similar price for what I'm looking at... and man, I just can't decide!! Can you guys help me decide?

Thanks,
Troy [DRIV300]
Old 03-21-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you drive both?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:03 PM

Car and Driver and reality are two different things. I don't doubt the RX-8 is "quick" and handles well, but it cannot compare to the S2000. It looks like you want a roadster. If you want an autocross/track car, it's gonna be an S2000. It was designed from the rubber up for pure performance. I'm sorry, but anything with a backseat and suicide doors and an overrated motor was not. You cannot compare the build quality of a Honda to a Mazda. I had a Miata and although I never had a problem with it during my 4 years/56k miles of ownership, there were just little things that bugged me about it's build quality considering it was a $28k Miata. I've had my S now for 2 1/2 months and had never driven one before the salesman handed me the keys to mine. The minute I pulled out of the parking lot, I could tell the car was made better.

Kris
Old 03-21-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven both... '04 S2000 and '04 RX-8

I'd probably only be able to afford an '00-'03 S2000, but hopefully at least an '02 (rear glass window, other stuff)

The transmissions on both are extremely smooth. RX-8 is much more rev-happy, as is my RX-7... of course just because it seems so easy for it to rev, for the rotary engine that is. Ya know, I love both designs... I like the styles of both pretty equally... it's just I'm wondering that for the 5 years I will have it, will I have wanted the other choice?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:20 PM

I change cars waay too often, the s2k is the only car I have kept as long as I have (2 years). It is my "fun time" car and still I manage to somehow get 23,000 miles of total enjoyment on it.

Hard for me or anyone to make that kind of decision for you. There are a thousand reasons we could give to buy one or the other but it comes down to your likes/dis-likes.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:27 PM
WPS

i would go for the s2k if space is not a factor. both are very nice cars that reward the driver but that droptop is the trump card
Old 03-22-2004, 06:55 AM

I think the RX-8 was designed for people who want a sporty car, but the comforts of a sedan. If that's what you are after than the RX-8 would be your best bet, but if you're after pure performance with little creature comfort than go with the S2K.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:32 AM

I agree that the RX-8 is going to be a bit more livable on a day-to-day basis. The S2000 sacrifices that, but you get a convertible top in return. I think the key question here is how much you want the convertible top and are willing to live with the negatives that come with it and the S (cabin noise, etc.)
Old 03-22-2004, 08:18 AM

Do you need seating for four and extra trunk/cabin space? Do you want performance over comfort? Do you want reliability and everyday driveability? Have you thoroughly test driven each one?

I gave the RX-8 a test drive twice. Once before I bought my S2K and once after. I was impressed with the extra room, smooth-revving engine and overall fit and finish. Performance was okay, but nothing spectacular.

When I bought my S2K, I wasn't comfortable with it for the first week. It felt too small, and I wasn't sure if it was for me. But after a week of driving and being able to put the top down on a nice day, I was sold. The performance was great, the openness of the top down and the fact that it gets good gas mileage and is reliable had me sold.

I went ahead and test drove the RX-8 again during that first week of owning the S2K. I took it for a good drive, and when I was finished, I was left unimpressed. It felt like a sedan. The handling wasn't as sharp, the performance wasn't there, and I'm still not ready to go with a car that gets poor gas mileage and is still having flooding issues.

Once I got in my S2K, I knew I made the right choice. I love it!

Figure out what you want, and test drive both. Research, research, research!

For me, the S2K was the clear-cut winner between the two (and I also test drove other cars as well - 350z, EVO, RSX Type S, Nissan Spec V, SRT-4, etc.).
Old 03-22-2004, 10:21 AM

S2000 hands down. The RX8 is too different from the RX7 to judge one off the other.

Quick Reply: Is the RX-8 or S2000 the one for me?