S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000: 01 vs 07

Old 09-07-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I can't even imagine the joy motoring around in Hawaii with an S2000. I have no experience with an AP2 but I don't think you'd go wrong with any nice S2000 that checks all of the boxes. I think the demand for any year of S2000 will remain strong and I wouldn't factor that into your decision. You are looking for a nicely maintained example that you can drive and be happy. I can't imagine any differences in AP1 and AP2 making you unhappy enough to regret a decision. The one you linked looks really nice but I'd say you should get a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic who knows these cars. Maybe this one is a gem or maybe it is priced low-ish for a reason. PPI should be $100 or so but it can save you money if there is a red flag, either steering you away or giving you more bargaining power. I sometimes get leery when a person tries too hard to sell the car in the ad but who knows? This may be a decently priced, honest car that is worth looking into. They exist.

I really think these cars are going to be like the Datsun 240/280Z down the road, although there will be more nice examples of S2000s at 40 years old when compared to what's out there now for Z cars.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 09-07-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I can echo the sentiments about the flashpro tune as I have an '06 with a Gerby tune.

And would you please stop mentioning 240/280z's? Lol.. I've been really itching for one lately and have been watching every video I can find on youtube. The ones with the Rebello racing motors sound amazing!
Old 09-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by captain slowly
I'm genuinely curious on what was "demanding" on your 2001. Could you elaborate? Maybe its because I also own a BMW, but I consider my Hondas to be the least maintenance intensive cars ever.
Demanding when comparing it to my previous cars.

I mean I should have known what to expect with it being a 2001 sports car, plus my daily driver, but it still struck me off guard nonetheless. And demanding as in feeling the need to check and change all my fluids just way more frequently and early then previous cars as well as problems arising where I stressed to find the issue. I know changing fluids early is always just good practice, but I never felt the need to in other cars. Had a hiccup with the valve retainers as well. Being in the military and moving frequently I struggle to find knowledgeable mechanics for some of the more obscure places even after asking around in here. The retainer issue alone was diagnosed as a few non related things until I took off the gasket and rocker to inspect them myself and find that they were cracked. My rear differential was also starting to show signs of damage, which i'm guessing is from the known poor 01 rear diff.

Honestly i'm just not the most car savvy person, and the extent of my DIY jobs are like oil changes lol. Either way, I think I fared nicely for what it was. I guess what I was asking is if the 07 is more of a refined and sound car mechanically?

Last edited by Dicky s2k; 09-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
I can't even imagine the joy motoring around in Hawaii with an S2000. I have no experience with an AP2 but I don't think you'd go wrong with any nice S2000 that checks all of the boxes. I think the demand for any year of S2000 will remain strong and I wouldn't factor that into your decision. You are looking for a nicely maintained example that you can drive and be happy. I can't imagine any differences in AP1 and AP2 making you unhappy enough to regret a decision. The one you linked looks really nice but I'd say you should get a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic who knows these cars. Maybe this one is a gem or maybe it is priced low-ish for a reason. PPI should be $100 or so but it can save you money if there is a red flag, either steering you away or giving you more bargaining power. I sometimes get leery when a person tries too hard to sell the car in the ad but who knows? This may be a decently priced, honest car that is worth looking into. They exist.

I really think these cars are going to be like the Datsun 240/280Z down the road, although there will be more nice examples of S2000s at 40 years old when compared to what's out there now for Z cars.
It is fun man, a few windy roads out here like up Tantalus are absolutely designed for a car like the S2000. Plus the views are unbeatable. Thanks for your input, definitely going to get a PPI! I'm only skeptical because these cars tend to go for a little more in Hawaii then on the mainland, so for it to be a deal is refreshing but to good to be true.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Well there are still deals to be had, but you won't know if you've found one until the car has been inspected. Honda did make a number of changes to these cars over the years. The most extensive mechanical changes came in 2004. In 2006 Honda replaced the mechanical throttle linkage with a drive-by-wire configuration which also resulted in the traction control and that remained for the rest of the production run.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by SoFlaKidd
I have an 08 and if I were to do it again id go with a 04-05
What are you complaints?
Old 09-07-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

the 04-05 ap2 is the one to get. The return less fuel system and dbw of the 06+ is junk.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicky s2k
What are you complaints?

Not very many, I actually find the car to be really good. I just would prefer no TPMS and no DWB system if I were to do it again. I probably would have just got a 04-05 if it came in LBP. I'll probably enjoy it even more once I get a Flashpro and a test pipe.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:39 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Changing fluids early is an unnecessary practice. Won't hurt, of course, but that doesn't make it "good." These are Hondas and the maintenance schedules are conservative. As they are in all automobiles especially if you use full synthetics. On the late cars the Maintenance Minder will tell you when it's all necessary. Otherwise follow the schedule in your owner's manual. To be really conservative use the "severe use" schedule. Recall Honda improved these cars every two years. Oil usage in the AP2 engine barely exists. Things like cracked retainers were fixed long ago and their early cracking was due to abuse, not normal wear and tear.

Highly emotional subject I know. My Ford 3.5 EcoBoost engine has a 10,000 mile oil change schedule (or when the computer says -- mine said so at about 9,000 miles) but, of course, the guys on the Ford websites think Ford engineers are complete idiots and are "recommending" 5000 mile oil changes. The Honda engineers were idiots too, of course. The Internet knows best.

-- Chuck
Old 09-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I owned an 01 & currently own an 06. The 01 was more fun to push to the limits... The 06 was more fun to drive as a weekend cruising car... Being 34 about to turn 35 I am extremely happy with my 06 and likely would not go back to an AP1. If i was 21 again, then the AP1 would be my choice

Quick Reply: s2000: 01 vs 07