S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 AP2 or NSX NA2

Old 12-23-2017, 07:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default S2000 AP2 or NSX NA2

I have a 08 AP2 completely stock. Its primary use is cruising around town, doing some groceries top down.

Assuming $$ is out of the equation, and you being the S2000 sales person. Please give me reasons why I need staying with my 08 AP2.

Likewise, assuming you being the NSX sales person. Please give me reasons why I need moving to 97-01 NSX NA2.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm a rarity. I prefer the S2K over the NSX for a variety of reasons: body styling, ease to work on, convertible sports car has been my dream car.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a NA1 of both models ('03 and '95). If cost is no object, I prefer the NSX in virtually every way. But if cost is an object, I think the S2000 is very, very inexpensive for what it delivers.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive owned both as well,

the nsx is rare and fun and plenty of fun to drive but expensive to mod and purchase and more maintence will needed for an old car, window...interior lot of small things would needs to be replaced or addressed.

s2000 is not rare, plenty of fun to drive, s2000 feels more modern , parts are cheaper to mod.

nsx for class and styling

s2000 for daily beater lol
Old 12-24-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with Bamafan and tbkonwso. I think if you're a track rat the S2000 might be more fun. As a friend of mine who has owned both cars once said, the S2000 is "more fun-per-dollar". But if cost is no object, then I'd go with the NSX (or something Italian ). FWIW, my NSX is MUCH more comfortable to take on road trips, and in that regard it's no contest. While I enjoy driving the S2000, I just don't get the same "feel" that I'm driving something that is quite as special as when driving the NSX.

Last edited by jeffreygebhart; 12-24-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:43 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

The glass is not half full, nor half empty. Its apparently the wrong glass. You are going to use these cars for cruising and trips to the grocery store? And?

Don't get me wrong, I cruise around in my S and go to the grocery store in it all the time. But thats not my primary purpose for it.

If you really are just going to cruise around and go to the grocery store, either of these cars is way overkill. How about a nice, driver condition classic car instead. A convertible 60's Mustang. A classic convertible Caddy. Maybe some British Roadster.

All of these cars will be fun to drive, without any real performance intentions. They will make every trip something special. They won't be the wrong glass for the task.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Car_Analogy, I appreciate your response, but my thread is not whether I should move away from S2000/NSX and choose a different car. You are off my topic.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

My take on this is much the same as the comments already made. An S2000 is a lot of car for the money. I am more comfortable tossing it around than the NSX. I've owned it for 17 years vs 6 years for the Acura, so that probably accounts for some of the difference in exploring the limits of each car. I have only put 9000 miles on the NSX since getting it.
The S2000 has been bulletproof, needing only tires, fluids, and brake services since new. Same for the NSX, but it has under 18000 miles and sees limited use. It is indeed a more comfortable car, and is never mistaken for a Miata! If cost isn't a factor, and the NSX is something you have lusted after since the first time you saw it like me, then go for it. You only live once!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

If I found myself talking to you as a car salesperson, and you told me that your primary uses for the car would be for grabbing groceries and running around town, like Car Analogy I honestly couldn't suggest either the S2000 or the NSX. But to stick with the Honda theme, If cost were no object, then I'd recommend that you let me locate for you the cleanest example of a late-model CRX Si that money could buy. Not only would the CRX be a fun "novelty", but you would soon find that for running around town and grabbing groceries that little car is hard to beat.

If you still want to entertain the discussion of the S2000 or the NSX...

I like getting out of town and exploring local country roads. I'm not talking about racking up a lot of mileage, but more like heading out for part of the day. Doing so on a motorcycle is really enjoyable, but my wife isn't into bikes at all. The S2000 provides a way for us to both enjoy day-trips together and seemingly fits our needs perfectly. Getting out of town is a blast in this car. I wouldn't have a problem taking the car on longer trips, and at some point plan to do so. But if that kind of thing were actually my preference, then I might be inclined to choose the NSX over the S2000, but then I'd certainly miss the option to go top down. With that in mind, in your scenario I would think that the biggest determining factor would be how important top-down motoring is to you. With few exceptions (caught in a rain storm, etc.), I've pretty much only driven the S2000 with the top down since buying this past summer. For me, that is one of the most appealing things about the car.

Beyond that, I would think that how much of the car's performance potential you'll able to exercise would factor into such a decision. In that regard, I rarely break the back end loose in the S2000 — there is still plenty left of this car for me to explore (even in it's stock form). But I still enjoy things like running the engine up to redline (at least through the first few gears) and working on my smoothness through the twisties as my heel-and-toe technique improves. The way I look at it, this car will continue to both challenge and entertain me for a very long time to come. If I did not feel that were the case, then maybe the NSX would hold more appeal for me.

Another factor might be how much you like working on cars yourself. Thus far I've found everything on the S to be very accessible which really makes things like carrying out preventative maintenance much more enjoyable. It's very refreshing when compared to so many cars today where everything in the engine bay is concealed by covers of some sort or another both above and below the engine. I'm not sure how the NSX fares in this regard, but I can only imagine that the engine location alone would make things less accessible when compared to the S2000.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Y'all need to play more Tetris. I've gone shopping at Costco with an S2000.

Quick Reply: S2000 AP2 or NSX NA2