S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 or Civic Si

Old 12-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 or Civic Si

So i am almost 100% set on buying an 04 or 05 S2000 but i keep doubting myself and thinking that the new si would be a better choice. I am graduating college in a few months and will finally be buying a newish and most importantly reliable car. i have been a research whore with the S2000 and have read just about everthing there is on the web about it and i love it! I have test drove both the AP1 and AP2 multiple times and want a silver one with red/balck interior. however, i keep thinking that since i am still young i may do something stupid with my dream car (like street racing or crashing it). I have a perfect driving record right now but i think the temptation could possibly be too much with the 8k redline and 237hp. so i am debating if i should take the Si since it seems like a nice compromise and once i save up enough money and am more mature the S2000 would be a better fit for me. Especially since my good friend totaled his dream car (a Dinan tuned 1999 M3 in less than a week) what are your guys thoughts on the matter.
-thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The Civic Si is (and always will be) a more practical car.

Temptation is fierce in the S2000. You have to be sure about yourself.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I respect your post, very honest with yourself. I really dont know what to tell you, you have valid points. I think if your careful with the S, you should be fine.

Even though the Si is more practical, I'm assuming you have no kids, so in a way, I think the S2k would be a decent choice.

Have you considered a newer 06+ S2000 w/VSA and traction control?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:59 PM

If you're going to be on your own I would not recommend getting it as your only car. An Si is more practical and will suit you better for day to day activities. I use mine as a DD but thats only because I live so close to home that I can always get the truck if I need to. Just get the Si and get an '08 S two or three years from now as a weekend car.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Past cars:

1988 BMW 325
2000 Honda S2000 (Silverstone)
2002 Acura TL-S
2005 Honda S2000 (Suzuka)
2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan

While the S2000 is reliable, and is the most awesomest, exciting, and good-looking car EVER, it is not "cheap" to maintain.

Bottom line: If you are certain that you can continue to afford to care for this car (s2000), then you must get it. Otherwise, get the Si and wait.

S2000

Pros:
Best car Ever. Good fuel economy. Exceptional handling and connected feel to the car. Fast when you want, quiet when want. CONVERTIBLE (WARNING!!!: convertibles are addicting even if you may not care about it now). For the record, I will buy another S2000 when it is prudent in my life.

Cons:
Wear items do just that, wear, and fast.
Tires- Expect to have replaced six (6) tires by 30,000 miles...and that's if you get it with 100% tread. Even cheap tires with better treadwear ratings will wear quickly.
Clutch- The clutch in 2003 (some) and later models is a weak spot. Aggressive shifting will lead to a weakening clutch...remember you're getting someone else's USED CLUTCH.
Brakes- I've never used up a set of brake pads, I always replaced them early...plus they're cheap anyway.

Otherwise look out for the top, there are spots that are prone to developing holes, though you can take steps to prevent/delay this.

Civic

Pros: Inexpensive to maintain, VSA, excellent fuel economy, well-balanced.

Cons: The Civic is not a convertible or RWD (FWD yuch!). If you've never experienced those, then the Civic is great as well.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:06 PM

Buy a Honda Fit if you are worried about crashing it....

Civic Si is the more practical car for the daily driver though. The S is perfectly DD, I DD mine, but you can't carry much/drive people around/etc compared to the SI
Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

I just got a new Si Sedan. You will speed in it...trust me. The Si is no slouch with 197hp and it has an 8k redline, just like an AP2.

The Si also handles great. Its nice and quiet (compared to the S). It is definitely more liveable than an S for everyday driving. To boot...you attract way less attention from people because they think its just a regular Civic...and therefore...less attraction from the po-po and ricers (compared to the S).

That said...the S2000 is a one of a kind machine...one I would not part with. Go for the S if you can.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM

get the Si. i own an '06 Si and have been entertaining the s2000 ever since i bought it. ive test driven the S three times (but not thoroughly), and each time i came out a bit underwhelmed. the s2000 is a great car no doubt, but to truly enjoy it, you HAVE to take it out on a track. on the street, the S actually feels comparable to the Si in performance, but is much more unforgiving if you want to get a little aggressive. i think the sensitivity and skill required to drive the S makes it a hard choice as a DD. i'm sure you've read the stories on the many crashes people have gotten into with the S w/ normal driving habits in just slightly wet conditions (conditions where the Si as a FWD car would have no problem with due to better traction).

i always tell myself that i could man it up and get an S as a primary car: the convertible factor, the feel and the looks are enough to make me go rabid and buy one. if i were to have driven the S last year without having driven the Si, i just may have done so. but having the Si as a benchmark allows me to evaluate the S a bit better, and as a DD, the Si is a much better choice. you better be very very sure if you're choosing the S.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 PM

..then drive safe with an s2k?... or face concequences god.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by junsu,Dec 3 2007, 08:31 PM
get the Si. i own an '06 Si and have been entertaining the s2000 ever since i bought it. ive test driven the S three times (but not thoroughly), and each time i came out a bit underwhelmed. the s2000 is a great car no doubt, but to truly enjoy it, you HAVE to take it out on a track. on the street, the S actually feels comparable to the Si in performance, but is much more unforgiving if you want to get a little aggressive. i think the sensitivity and skill required to drive the S makes it a hard choice as a DD. i'm sure you've read the stories on the many crashes people have gotten into with the S w/ normal driving habits in just slightly wet conditions (conditions where the Si as a FWD car would have no problem with due to better traction).

i always tell myself that i could man it up and get an S as a primary car: the convertible factor, the feel and the looks are enough to make me go rabid and buy one. if i were to have driven the S last year without having driven the Si, i just may have done so. but having the Si as a benchmark allows me to evaluate the S a bit better, and as a DD, the Si is a much better choice. you better be very very sure if you're choosing the S.
I beg to differ.

I enjoy my S on the streets driving non-aggressively. In the end, it comes down to the driver, and tire condition. An S in the rain, with 'good' tires and a decent driver will do just fine.

Quick Reply: S2000 or Civic Si