S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 or Civic Si

Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love the car. graduated, got it, no regrets.

just drive slow when the road conditions aren't good and don't race around corners for a few months so you can get used to RWD and you'll be fine.

VSA can save you from a slip if you get it. if you live where there's snow, it's a great option.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought mine roughly half a year after i graduated from college and i dd mine. however, i live close to work and more importantly i don't have any kids or the like which would necessitate having a bigger car. while the si is definitely more practical, there is no denying that the s2k can be a fun car to own. plus the additions made to the later models definitely made the s2k more tolerable as a dd.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 PM

The only downside that I see to the S2000 is that it has NO room for anything.

I drove both cars before picking my S2000, but the only reason is because I refused to go back to a FWD car. You HAVE to know how to drive a RWD responsibily. It's really hard not to with a car like the S2000, but you have to really get comfortable. Get the VSA, if you do get one. Also, the Civic Si, if you plan on modifying it, you can get amazing power from modifying your civic for very little money. The S2000 you will drop a lot of money into, a LOT.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy the Si.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM

i had a civic hatch, just bought my 07 s2k 4 months ago. WILL NEVER LOOK BACK! The only reason I would want a second car is so i could keep the s2k in the garage a bit more, but I dont even think i would anyways! I absolutely LOVE daily driving my s2k, it actually has a bit more trunk space than you would think and I find it pretty comfortable for a sports car.

Two of my roommates both have 07 civic Si's. One of them got his before I bought my s2k, i drove it(used to my civic hatch) and it felt very nice! Then a couple months later i test drove the 07 s2k and WAS IN LOVE so I of course bought it, couple months late drove my other roommates 07 SI and I couldnt stand to drive it. It feels so clumbsy to me now, while when i used to have my civic it felt very tight. It is a great car and i wouldnt mind DD one, but if i were to choose i would have my s2k ANY day over that car.

IMO S2K is the right choice. If it comes down to it, buy the s2k and allow 4k or so and pick up a lil bit older civic to DD or have as a back up. Not that you will need it Sorry if i got carried away...
Old 12-03-2007, 06:53 PM

I have a 06 Si (wifes car) and we both love it.

I test drove a 2007 S2000 last week and didn't think the car felt as fast or powerful in the low end of the RPM's, I was surprised.

In the last 6 years.... Honda has done some amazing things to the bottom end of the rev band with the 06 SI 197 HP.... I found myself waiting for the S2000 to get up into the higher RPM's and then once there...not as quick as the O6si feels (feel and sound are better in the si, even if stop watch times are faster in the S2000) ... again back to what the other guy said about the S2000 might shine on the track but on the street, driving around in traffic I liked the 06 Si better.

I am going back to Honda on Wed. at 9:00am to test drive another S2000 they have the new 2008's in (with all the fins)... and I'm hoping I just got a bad 2007 on that last test drive (maybe the lot demo was a bit beat-up)

Anyway...hoping for better results this time. My wife is on-board for the new car and I'm the one thinking twice (usually its the other way around). I'll let you guys know what happens after my next test drive.

( my past cars were 93 MR2, and 97 Z3 )

If the S2000 doesn't impress this time.... I'm afraid next step is to save for another yaer and go for the used NSX, but I'd rather have a new car.
I don't like the idea of finding parts and fixing a older car... but If I'm spending $10k more for a car (or $20k more) I want something that stands out enough from the 06Si
Old 12-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by markstudy,Dec 3 2007, 10:53 PM
feel and sound are better in the si
Not to be a jerk...but that is the most ridiculous thing I have seen.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markstudy,Dec 3 2007, 07:53 PM
I have a 06 Si (wifes car) and we both love it.

I test drove a 2007 S2000 last week and didn't think the car felt as fast or powerful in the low end of the RPM's, I was surprised.

In the last 6 years.... Honda has done some amazing things to the bottom end of the rev band with the 06 SI 197 HP.... I found myself waiting for the S2000 to get up into the higher RPM's and then once there...not as quick as the O6si feels (feel and sound are better in the si, even if stop watch times are faster in the S2000) ... again back to what the other guy said about the S2000 might shine on the track but on the street, driving around in traffic I liked the 06 Si better.

I am going back to Honda on Wed. at 9:00am to test drive another S2000 they have the new 2008's in (with all the fins)... and I'm hoping I just got a bad 2007 on that last test drive (maybe the lot demo was a bit beat-up)

Anyway...hoping for better results this time. My wife is on-board for the new car and I'm the one thinking twice (usually its the other way around). I'll let you guys know what happens after my next test drive.

( my past cars were 93 MR2, and 97 Z3 )

If the S2000 doesn't impress this time.... I'm afraid next step is to save for another yaer and go for the used NSX, but I'd rather have a new car.
I don't like the idea of finding parts and fixing a older car... but If I'm spending $10k more for a car (or $20k more) I want something that stands out enough from the 06Si
uh... go drive an ap1.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:23 PM

I think you can get in trouble with any car. The SI would actually bring out the racer boy in you more than you think - 197 hp even w/o torque is no toy.

I'm worried that if you go the SI route, you'll be tempted to tune it, bringing HP on par w/ the S.... Once you start one mod, it's hard to stop.

Therefore, I suggest you get the S and keep it stock. Also, if you have some brokeass friends that don't/won't/can't afford to drive, you don't turn into the chauffeur of the group. I have a buddy who was the first to buy the new civic, and all his friends make him drive everytime.

Get the S and just take it easy. Cruise with top down and just enjoy your ride. No need to use all of 237 HP on tap.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22,Dec 3 2007, 08:01 PM
Not to be a jerk...but that is the most ridiculous thing I have seen.
Not to be a jerk back....

but don't you think that Honda engineers came up with enough new ideas in the last 6 or 7 years with the engine design to make the 06's Si better at some of the things that the S2000 lacked? (lower RPM's don't feel as slugish)

I don't care if its Ferrari or Honda... Give me a car that's 6 years newer and you've got some new engineering coming into play.

You can buy a 2008 Porsche for less then a 2001 Ferrair 360 and the p-car is now a faster car.

S2000 has a great body,and I love the rear wheel drive, steering feel.... but the one problem is the engine. I've heard enough guys around hear wish for more HP

Guess what? From a side-by-side drive.... I felt like the S2000's 1999 designed 240 hp is = to 2006's 197 hp when it comes to DD on the street.

PS... I hope I'm wrong. Anyway, going back to test drive the 2008 S2000 in two days. I really would like to buy a new car.... I hope to enjoy this test drive more then I did with the 2007 Demo car I drove last week

Who on this forum doesn't wish Honda gave the S2000 a new engine...insted of letting a cutting edge car from 1990's standards slowly drop off the sales charts?

Quick Reply: S2000 or Civic Si