S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 (final) audio solution revealed! (pics)

Old 12-09-2002, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 (final) audio solution revealed! (pics)

Hi folks,

Clear mids, bottom tight bass, NO loss of trunk space - look at my posting in Electronics. Living loud!:-)

www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94832
Old 12-10-2002, 12:21 AM

Oh, I'm sure it sounds good...but...
Old 12-10-2002, 07:41 AM

folks, I am missing some feedback from you:-). It appears that not many people put speakers into dash and subs into doors - and the system sound AWSOME for VERY reasonable (almost unbelievable) price!!! ($100 + $100 + $270 + some wiring).

Log on the link above and let me know what you think and if you got similar setup. I think this setup is reaching the ideal sound criteria - but it's me:-)
Old 12-10-2002, 08:17 AM

You really have to be an audiophile to do something like this. THough it didn't cost you much, most people can't (or won't) do all that cutting and installation themselves. Now think about had you taken your car to Mobile One and asked them to do this for you, I promise that the installation would probably have cost more than what you paid for everything.

btw- You are going to kill your passenger if you ever get in an accident, seriously.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:46 AM

Yes I like clear sound even though I do not consider myself to be an audiophil.

As far as speaker location - it's not the sepaker which is going over the airbag. The speaker fits exactly in the space between. If uncovered you would see that the airbag cover is free to go.

It is only the plastic cover which reaches little over. I managed to attach it to the speaker body so that in case of potential deployment it would pop towards the windshield - will try to post some picture of the idea later.

As far as cutting - net work took around 15 mins on each side using Dremmel and L adapter:-). Then the wiring, custom adapter for subs (finally I used plywood).

Yes, it took me one weekend of easy work, running to shop for different tools and screws, wiring, cutting. But it's worth it, I really recommend this to everybody
Old 12-10-2002, 08:54 AM

Good for you, just not for me
Old 12-10-2002, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the others have said on your other post, you really should remove that speaker cover or modify it so that it isn't covering part of the airbag. You do not know how much force the bag deploys with and regardless of it you have a tether or not, it's still dangerous. Should just keep the speakers in the door and mount tweeters on the dash.

I had my amp stuffed in the same space as you and I can tell you now that you should move it. First off, the heat sinks cannot do their job mounted upside down, even with cooling fans. Second, there isn't any air circulating in that spot and will cause the amp to overheat. I know my amp got so hot, that I couldn't even touch it mounted in that space! Make an amp rack and mount it to the side of the trunk and you should be kosher. If you have the spare tire removed, place it in that spot as more air circulates there as well.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:42 AM

What I can try is to cut that little piece reaching over and make some finish which would look nice. That should address the airbag issue completely. Ideally I would know somebody capable of making the custom square grills.

Moving a speaker is a no no - I could go back to stock setup no matter how much would I spend for door speakers - the door location is simply unusable for mids and unaceptable for clear sound. Period.

I tried to avoid putting amp to other locaitons and did not dare to remove the spare (you never know). I guess we will have to wait till summer - so far (given what Amp can do vs. wat is feeds) is running cold and works only at fraction of its capacity. It has enough room around and if you see the cover - there is quite sufficient ventilation through the handle space. I would say that the temperature of the sub space will match easily the temp of the rest of the trunk itself, without the help.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:50 PM

I hope you can take positive criticism (spell?):

1. By looking at the dash....ouch! I don't think 50% of S2K owners would dare do that to their cars. I know I push the limits but I don't think that looks good at all.

2. I have played and played with stereos on the S and in my opinion, just by replacing the factory door speakers, adding a small set behind the seats and running a small amp for both sets, will give you PLENTY highs and mids. Add a couple or a single sub on the spare well, and voila, plenty of bass. Enough to rock the car standing at the light next door.

3. I think having a clean, "stealth" looking system also makes a difference.

I give you props for taking it a step level but I don't think compromising the looks of your car for the insane sounds you are getting was worth it. My 2 cents.....I bet that SOB rocks though!
Old 12-10-2002, 01:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DouglaS2000
[B]As the others have said on your other post, you really should remove that speaker cover or modify it so that it isn't covering part of the airbag.

Quick Reply: S2000 (final) audio solution revealed! (pics)