S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 first standard tranny...

Old 09-29-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 first standard tranny...

So...don't laugh at me, but I've only driven a standard transmission for a total of about 20 minutes in my life. I avoided them like the plague until I found a local guy selling an s2k at a great price. I wanted to buy it and (carefully) learn the ways of the standard transmission. However, after reading some of your posts, it seems like I could seriously blow my engine up? Do you guys think this is all one bad idea?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Do you have a friend's beater that you could gain experience on? If not, you could damage the motor by mechanical over rev. That happens when you accidentally shift from say 3dr to 2nd instead of 4th after revving the rpms high in third. One way to prevent that is to not rev the rpms high while learning for a few weeks to ensure that doesn't happen. For example don't go over 5k rpms on an AP2 (could go slightly more on AP1) so incase you hit 2nd instead of 4th you will have room to rev higher by accident without exceeding redline.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

It is not as common to mechanically over rev if you are driving the car easy (if you mis shift at 5000 rpm, you have to shift low enough to run the engine 4000 rpm higher to go above its normal redline). Also, that normally happens more when you are shifting hard and fast. I would assume someone learning to drive stick is not drag racing it or shifting at 8000-9000 rpm ,so just be careful and that likely will not happen (if you shift gently, you should notice if it is harder to get into gear, like it should be shifting to 1st from 3rd at higher speed).

The only concern on the S is that with its low tq (especially at low RPM) it is a tad more difficult to take off smoothly for some, so people tend to slip the clutch a bit more, thus wearing the clutch faster. So it would be good to practice up in another car, and then the S. It isnt all that hard though.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by ssjhook
So...don't laugh at me, but I've only driven a standard transmission for a total of about 20 minutes in my life. I avoided them like the plague until I found a local guy selling an s2k at a great price. I wanted to buy it and (carefully) learn the ways of the standard transmission. However, after reading some of your posts, it seems like I could seriously blow my engine up? Do you guys think this is all one bad idea?

what posts have you been reading?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Not sure what posts those are either!

It really is not bad at all, you will pick it up quickly. My wife hates driving a manual and she had to drive us home one night (lets just say I was out of operation for the rest of that night :P ) and she did perfectly fine.

The plus is you cant ask for a better gearbox. Shifts like good sex
Old 09-29-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just use common sense. Take it easy even if it means your shifts will not be perfectly smooth. You'll get used to it in no time. Everyone has gone through this phase at one point in their life.

also, do not skip shift.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Just take it very easy and slow for the first month... I've been driving manuals my entire life (say 20 years of driving) and I've even mis-shifted this car when I first bought it. The gearing is very narrow and especially when going from 5th down to 4th it's easy to grab 2nd by accident.

But if you don't get in the car and try and drive like a hooligan you should be fine. It just takes time to master it. When my wife bought her first manual trans car she had barely ever driven manual - when she had she was terrible. It took her 2 weeks to be completely capable of getting around without issue and then probably another few months to be competent. Now after 4 years she is good but still makes mistakes - we bought her a new car this week and she's now getting used to that car. Started in 3rd gear last night instead of 1st etc... it just takes time to really "master" it... some cars are a bit easier than others but the S2000 is not a "difficult" car to drive if you drive well below it's limits. It is however a car you can quickly get yourself into a knot if you drive beyond your capabilities.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

The S2000 gearbox shift pattern is close spaced and is spring loaded to the 3-4 position. 1-2 shift just keep slight left pressure and pull back. 2-3 just push forward, the gearbox spring will find the center slot. 3-4 pull straight back, you won't hit 2d by mistake. 4-5 keep shift right pressure and push forward. Etc. Same for downshifts where some get in trouble. 5-4 is just straight back, the gearbox spring will find the center slot. Trying to force into the center slot with left pressure is liable to hit 2d not 4th. Don't be in a hurry. Don't use the gearbox for brakes, discs ain't gonna fade. Race cars get rebuilt periodically. I don't want to.

Up shift above 4000. 4300 was recommended to me and works well. I thought I was being sent for a left handed wrench when that was proposed to me.

Recommendations here are to not skip shift. You want to go from 2d to 4th for some reason? Cycle thru 3d on the way. No need to release the clutch, just slide in and out of 3d. 4th to 2d? Same thing. Saves wear on the synchronos up and down the gear pattern.

Like any other skill it will improve with practice.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
CMK (10-05-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

I taught my daughter (20 at the time) to drive a stick with my 2009 S. It was a rite of passage and we both enjoyed the experience. (She is now a huge fan of manual transmissions and has one for her TL.)
I was able to give her salient pointers especially concerning the S: skip shifting issues, how to treat the synchros, ideal rpms, heel and toe, etc. There are some real differences between the S and other vehicles, such as my manual Tacoma but that all adds to a good overall experience.
Bottom line: take it easy, don't be in a rush, heed the thread warnings you will find here and have a great time!
Old 10-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
The plus is you cant ask for a better gearbox. Shifts like good sex
Had to laugh at this, too funny.

Agree with the guys, the S2k has one of the best gearboxes on the planet of any car. Take your time, don't get frustrated, and welcome to the world of rowing your own gears. Too bad there aren't that many manuals left out there.

Quick Reply: s2000 first standard tranny...