S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

s2000 full vehicle fire

Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 full vehicle fire

My s2000 caught fire today, huge engine fire that spread to the interior and destroyed every thing.

im ok. just sad

This is a quick run down.. im driving down the road behind my base housing and i see the temp gauge pegged to hot.

pull over to a side street/ one of these residential roads with no street sign. ill get into that later.

i stop the car still running in nutral thinking ohh god i blew a coolant line now what.

i hit the hood latch, the hood comes up about an inch. and i see a 3 foot flame come out of the side so i say f@#k this im out. now i know some thing is seriously wrong. i get out of the car run away from the fire. turn around 2 see this

this goes to show how fast it went up. thats about a 100 ft smoke stack.

so at this time im on the phone with dispatch, and the dude is like ok man calm down ( i was a bit upset) where are u at. member how i said no road signs. yeah. so i run to the closest house and bang on the door. get the street address and now i wait for the fire dept.

well about 3 mins goes by and 2 cops show up, chief of police and then a reg cop behind him. they pull there fire extinguishers out try to put it out but at this time its too big.

unfortunately i didn't get any pics of it while it was burning but im sorry the last thing on my wind was to take pics.

about 15 mins later the fd shows up. and unknowing to me 15 mins is a shit long time when u are talking about a car fire.

when the fire dept show up, the car is already fully engulfed. windshield has blown out. interior is fully on fire. front end is gone. etc etc.

so they get the car put out and call me up. say hey is there any thing in the car im like no except my 500 dollar sunglasses. so the open the secret compartment and my glasses are un touched. who knew.

these are the only few pics i have of the car once they got the fire out, and it was safe to go up too.

this is obviously the interior. or whats left of it. 2 feet of water from the fire dept. putting it out. carpet is gone, seats are gone, wheel is melted etc etc.

this is whats left of the front end. every thing wasgone. radi melted, head lights, bumper lip all gone. it melted my carbine strut bar in half so the fd said it was over 2800 degrees in there.

Luckily for me i have full coverage on all my cars. im ok, cars f@#ked.

just people please be careful. this came out of no where. and as for me.. well im a bad ass (not to sound cocky. . ive been in combat more times then i can count. and this nearly made me cry.. it was my pride and joy and is now gone. ill never know what happened bc every thing is melted or gone.

mods if this is the wrong section please move it.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn sorry to hear.. Me and a friend of mine were on the subject of car fires last week (458 italia's)

I don't even know what I would do if I were in your shoes..
Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Sorry to see that happen. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Just curious, did you change your oil recently? If not tightened down really well, the oil filter has been known to vibrate itself loose. Has toasted enough cars that at least two companies (J's Racing, ASM) make simple but expensive brackets with a metal wire that hooks to a clamp on the filter and prevents it from rotating loose.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 PM

dang thats crzy, glad your allright
Old 10-31-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by W0Pdego
Wow. Sorry to see that happen. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Just curious, did you change your oil recently? If not tightened down really well, the oil filter has been known to vibrate itself loose. Has toasted enough cars that at least two companies (J's Racing, ASM) make simple but expensive brackets with a metal wire that hooks to a clamp on the filter and prevents it from rotating loose.

nope only had the car 7 weeks. i just replaced all the interior, dynomated every thing on the inside. the fuel rail area was extremely damaged so that kinda leads u in one direction. i just dont even know what to say. it sucks so bad.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry to see your loss, hope the insurance works in your favor! This is the best example of why one should carry an extinguisher.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Sorry to see your loss, hope the insurance works in your favor! This is the best example of why one should carry an extinguisher.

Yeah ill def have one from now on. but who knows, like i said b4 2 cops emptied 2 into it and it just came back stronger. it still hasnt hit me yet.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

sorry for your loss bro! Hopefully everything works out, and thanks for serving our country!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soon2bspooled
Originally Posted by W0Pdego' timestamp='1320110498' post='21117470

nope only had the car 7 weeks. i just replaced all the interior, dynomated every thing on the inside. the fuel rail area was extremely damaged so that kinda leads u in one direction. i just dont even know what to say. it sucks so bad.

If anyone with actual fire forensics experience knows better than I do, please chime in, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the hottest part of the fire is typically the source of the blaze, although I'd imagine that changes in the presence of an accelerant (i.e. gasoline). You know if your insurance company is going to take a look at it to determine the failure that led to the fire, or are they more concerned with just paying out and moving on?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by W0Pdego
Originally Posted by soon2bspooled' timestamp='1320110909' post='21117484
[quote name='W0Pdego' timestamp='1320110498' post='21117470']

If anyone with actual fire forensics experience knows better than I do, please chime in, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the hottest part of the fire is typically the source of the blaze, although I'd imagine that changes in the presence of an accelerant (i.e. gasoline). You know if your insurance company is going to take a look at it to determine the failure that led to the fire, or are they more concerned with just paying out and moving on?
[/quote]

yeah i would really like to know what happend. and they will send an adjuster so hopefully he knows what went on .

Quick Reply: s2000 full vehicle fire