S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 for Long Distance Trips?

Old 10-17-2001, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just last week I drove 980 miles, each way, from Maryland to Florida. Took 14+ hours for an average speed of 70 mph.

I was expecting the worst from noise and seat discomfort. I was pleasently surprised on both counts. It was a blast and I was not any more tired than I would have been in any other car I've driven down in. No problem. Have fun.
Old 10-17-2001, 04:11 AM
jim

I drove from Madrid to a small fishing village just past Marseille, France. Took two days. Felt fine! Return trip home to Madrid was through the Pyreness Mountains. The first day was a 10 hr. trip, which began in bad traffic at 20k an hr. for about 4 hrs. Then, the last 4 hrs. of the total 10 was on fantastic mountain roads. THAT woke me up! Did the last 4 with top down. First 6 was up due to really heavy cross winds.

After the 10 hr. trip, we sat down to a dinner that lasted for 4 hrs., ending with local booze & Cuban cigar! Great day, and the next day meant another drive on to Madrid....about 7 hrs.

Best car I've ever driven for a long trip.

Jim
Old 10-17-2001, 05:51 AM

I think Jim from Spain hit on a great point! The S2000, unlike so many cars, IS part of the trip. I mean, you're not just going from A to B all the time in some sedan. In this car, getting there is sometime half the fun! I think it's a great "road tripper".

By the way, I will check out Mingster's one-piece design. Thanks for the idea.

Pat
Old 10-17-2001, 06:03 AM

Killer Bee,

The extended wind screen also came with 2 rubber stabilizers. They get glued to the headrests and the screen frame rests on them when up. Some wobble, but only bugs me at night when I pick up reflections of the car in front of me onto the screen when I look in the rearview mirror. Worth the minor inconvenience to me. You do have to disassemble the stock screen and reglue the new one if you go this route. The stabilizers came unglued on me after a week, but after I stripped the glue again and reglued them, they have been ok. I probably did not strip all the glue from the stabilizers as directed. Wasn't sure why I was stripping glue to put new glue on. Guess I found out.

Pete
Old 10-17-2001, 06:28 AM
pfb

I usually due about 3-hour segments before stopping for gas and a stretch. Three hours of backroads slip by quite nicely. Three hours of super-slab and my leg is numb...
Old 10-17-2001, 07:26 AM

I just made my trip about two weeks ago from Denver to Enid, OK and one thing I wished I would have done is put on some sunscreen so I could ride with the top down. I don't know what the temp is like where you are going but, it would have made things nicer for me.

Oh and the wallet idea mentioned earlier is a must!
Old 10-17-2001, 07:50 AM

I regularly (5 times a year) make a 9 1/2 hour trip from NC to NY through the beautiful mtns. of WV. That drive used to be a pain in the a$$ but in the S it just flys by! BTW, I rarely use cruise control cause I get bored.
Old 10-27-2001, 01:24 AM

Dallas to SFO and back, six days on the road, two people, full luggage, top down. A blast. Do it.
Old 10-27-2001, 05:15 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

I've done several 500 mile days during a 3,000 mile trip without any discomfort. The seats are great. Leg stretch area is naturally at a minimum. The ease of putting the top up or down, makes for wonderful adjustments due to the outside elements. My two petty gripes are the lack of inside storage space (my MGA has lots more) and I'd prefer a four-spoke steering wheel (a personal thing since I like to rest my hand at the bottom of the wheel during long boring straight roads).
Old 10-27-2001, 05:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with windscreen "wobbles" is a consequence of improper reassembly and/or imroper gluing of the windscreen mechanism and/or the bumpers we provide. The assembly must be relgued so that is completed rigid and solidly glued together and the bumpers must be installed with superglue using proper techniques for these glues. When it's done right the screen does not wobble and the bumpers stay in place. And done right, the faster you go the more solid it is.

I've inspected several mechanisms that were returned for windscreen replacements, and the gluing jobs on every one were inadequate. But this is a do-it-yourself install, so it's impossible to insure that everyone does it the way it needs to be done.

Quick Reply: S2000 for Long Distance Trips?