S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

the S2000 motor

Old 06-23-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The K20 also makes a good bit more torque and power in the low/mid RPMs than the B18C5 did. Displacement is of course part of it, but the gains are more than the proportionate increase in displacement. The B18C5 also had a ported and polished head.

The VTC in i-VTEC is no gimmick. It can phase the cam very quickly. It is like a cam gear that is always at the best setting.

putting i-VTEC in the AP2 would be very very expensive. The cam gears on the F2xC (3 gears, one directly driven by crank, 2 driven from the first via scissor gears) are completely different than on a K-series (2 directly driven gears).

Implementing the i-VTEC VTC would be very difficult on the AP2. It would have cost at least 10x more money than they spent on stroking the F20C I would imagine. It doesn't make much financial sense to do so, especially since in the AP2s design period, Honda wasn't even sure how long the car would sell for!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steven975,Jun 23 2005, 12:35 PM
the block is basically the same size as the K-series. They are very very similar. The K is like a half-brother to the F20C. Some of the internals are even interchangeable I hear. I'm not sure on the motor mount position, but I'd bet some are common to each other.

With the right bell-housing, it should fit.

I've seen pics of a K tranny on a F20C in fact.
Yeah with the right bell housing it may indeed fit (I used to own an RSX Type S), it's just that it's not going to be a simple swap. It would still be more cost effective to go with one of the various upgrades for the K20A2. That motor responds well to mods.