S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 safety...

Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S2000 safety...

Not what you think. I know the car can handle roll overs and things of that nature....
But talking with my dad I found out why he hates the car, you can fit under semis and buses. Can't really find any crash test videos of S2000 crash teat videos rear ending a truck.
He's always said its a terrible car and him being stubborn won't believe crash teat videos lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get into a collision with a semi, I don't think it much matters what you're driving. Living is likely to be a spot of bad luck. I came from an NA miata so I'm pretty overwhelmed by how safe I feel in the s2000. Don't let the man get in your head.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:58 AM

There are plenty of crash videos out there. He's the official NHTSA video.

There's a lot of room for absorbing the impact in the front, the rear and side not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxD-ORANVog
Old 10-25-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I don't understand this thinking. While the S hoodline is a bit lower than say, a large sedan, but even the large cars hood would still be lower than the bottom of the semi trailer.

So if you crash into one, either way its the windshiled A pillers that are oing to be all that could save you. While the A piller on a sedan is bolstered by the roof and the C and B pillars, the A pillers in the S are a rollbar, capable of supporting the entire weight of the car. I don't know which would hold up better, but either way you are not likely to fair well.

But when was the last time you saw this type of accident? Not very common. Also, I'd rather be in a car that stop much better, and can manuever much better to avoid crashing into the back of a semi in the first place.

This doesn't seem to be a very rational concern. Though of course fears seldom are.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:06 PM

Doesn't this car have a 5 star front and 4 star side crash rating? Pretty safe. Better than my old car, a '09 Focus Ses Coupe.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
This doesn't seem to be a very rational concern. Though of course fears seldom are.
Oh so true. And not just when it comes to cars. Read the headlines in any major publication (digital or print) and chances are at least one of them is seriously skewed to pray on various irrational fears.

Anyway, OP, this is your dad we are talking about. He cares about you. He's going to have fears about your safety. He might not even be telling you the entire story about what he *really* fears. Not much you can do but thank him for loving you and asking him to trust that he did a good job in raising an intelligent human who is now an adult making his own decisions (assuming you are now an adult and making your own decisions).

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:08 PM

Most cars will wedge themselves under buses and semis. If safety is your concern get a Tesla. They are the safest car on the market.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... 17 years old. I'm only going to be getting an S after college. I have a degree of respect for them.

The day my brother who at the time was 20 I think, bought a new MY05. He called our dad, and dad goes "did you already pay for it, go return it" showing disapproval lol. Dad managed to get some slip on these slick painted bricks in the neighborhood and said the car has no grip, mind you he's from the era of big v8 cars lol.

I guess j just want to show him that Honda makes great cars lol.
And I guess I can almost pinpoint where his fear is coning from. I think there was a football player that rear ended a bus or something in south beach.
Then again, he is a bit of an audi elitist...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly
If you get into a collision with a semi, I don't think it much matters what you're driving. Living is likely to be a spot of bad luck. I came from an NA miata so I'm pretty overwhelmed by how safe I feel in the s2000. Don't let the man get in your head.
^ This. If you hit a semi you are going to lose no matter what you drive. Question to consider: If you are able to avoid an accident with a car that has great handling and braking traits, aren't you better off than getting into an accident with a vehicle that resembles a boat ?
Old 10-25-2014, 04:48 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Buy a thank...

Quick Reply: S2000 safety...