S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 safety...

Old 10-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly' timestamp='1414262647' post='23382591
If you get into a collision with a semi, I don't think it much matters what you're driving. Living is likely to be a spot of bad luck. I came from an NA miata so I'm pretty overwhelmed by how safe I feel in the s2000. Don't let the man get in your head.
^ This. If you hit a semi you are going to lose no matter what you drive. Question to consider: If you are able to avoid an accident with a car that has great handling and braking traits, aren't you better off than getting into an accident with a vehicle that resembles a boat ?
That's pretty much my logic. But I love him either way, I won't go against what he says until I can buy one and pay for insurance.
Seeing as how he's watched TT production videos explaining Audi space from technology he pretty much believes its a stiffer chassis than the S, and that its far safer. In some aspects I agree, but the the S2000 was Honda's gift to themselves and my brother, mentioned that Honda lost money selling these cars. Then I found a IIHS video explaining the semi trailer standards are too low. I just want to see him like the car lol. At least he admitted my brothers AP2 looked sexy when he drove into the driveway to show dad lol.

That's some progress I guess... Lol ^_^

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Google "man dies s2000" kinda scary. But then again, you could probably find the same for most other cars.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

So he thinks the S isn't safe to crash info the back of a semi, but a TT would be?

Yup. Illogical, irrational fear.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
So he thinks the S isn't safe to crash info the back of a semi, but a TT would be?

Yup. Illogical, irrational fear.
He's extremely stubborn lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly
If you get into a collision with a semi, I don't think it much matters what you're driving.
Yup. OP needs to show his dad this photo. Not going under the bus didn't mean anything for this Hummer.

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
Dad managed to get some slip on these slick painted bricks in the neighborhood and said the car has no grip, mind you he's from the era of big v8 cars lol.
You really can't do anything about someone looking for issues with something.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly' timestamp='1414262647' post='23382591
If you get into a collision with a semi, I don't think it much matters what you're driving.
Yup. OP needs to show his dad this photo. Not going under the bus didn't mean anything for this Hummer.

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
Dad managed to get some slip on these slick painted bricks in the neighborhood and said the car has no grip, mind you he's from the era of big v8 cars lol.
You really can't do anything about someone looking for issues with something.
On Tapatalk I can't see the picture for some reason..

I can't really judge by that moment lol. He just doesn't seem to like any Honda lol.

[edit]

Woe that hummer is in there... Back story?
Old 10-29-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I don't understand this thinking. While the S hoodline is a bit lower than say, a large sedan, but even the large cars hood would still be lower than the bottom of the semi trailer.

So if you crash into one, either way its the windshiled A pillers that are oing to be all that could save you. While the A piller on a sedan is bolstered by the roof and the C and B pillars, the A pillers in the S are a rollbar, capable of supporting the entire weight of the car. I don't know which would hold up better, but either way you are not likely to fair well.

But when was the last time you saw this type of accident? Not very common. Also, I'd rather be in a car that stop much better, and can manuever much better to avoid crashing into the back of a semi in the first place.

This doesn't seem to be a very rational concern. Though of course fears seldom are.
I saw a thread on the M3 forum where a driver wasn't paying attention and rear ended a semi. Even the rather larger/taller hood of the M3 went fully underneath the semi, especially upon braking just before the crash.

Yeah, worrying about the car ending up underneath a semi isn't really your primary concern because, while it MIGHT happen, if it does I don't think that any car is going to fare very well.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by TVPincDoc
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1414273891' post='23382691
I don't understand this thinking. While the S hoodline is a bit lower than say, a large sedan, but even the large cars hood would still be lower than the bottom of the semi trailer.

So if you crash into one, either way its the windshiled A pillers that are oing to be all that could save you. While the A piller on a sedan is bolstered by the roof and the C and B pillars, the A pillers in the S are a rollbar, capable of supporting the entire weight of the car. I don't know which would hold up better, but either way you are not likely to fair well.

But when was the last time you saw this type of accident? Not very common. Also, I'd rather be in a car that stop much better, and can manuever much better to avoid crashing into the back of a semi in the first place.

This doesn't seem to be a very rational concern. Though of course fears seldom are.
I saw a thread on the M3 forum where a driver wasn't paying attention and rear ended a semi. Even the rather larger/taller hood of the M3 went fully underneath the semi, especially upon braking just before the crash.

Yeah, worrying about the car ending up underneath a semi isn't really your primary concern because, while it MIGHT happen, if it does I don't think that any car is going to fare very well.
IIHS posted a video of shitty standards for trailers. Which if they were reinforced I guess it would be like a massive wall.