S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000: Vandalism

Old 02-15-2001, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people don't know about this car. I've heard from many of you current owners that people mistake it for anything from a Miata to a Porsche--even a Ferrari.

I've seen a couple of posts where the S2000's been vandalized. For those of you who take your car everywhere you go during anytime of the year (to work, out downtown on the Fri/Sat. night, etc.), I was wondering if your car has been worked over by anyone.

I'm somewhat concerned that I'll be too worried to take this yellow beast anywhere except on fun drives due to its high-gawk factor.

It'd be helpful to hear about some of your experiences.

Thanks, as always.

-Ben

[Edited by SpaceNeedle on 02-15-2001 at 10:00 AM]
Old 02-15-2001, 08:54 AM

Some d!cknose MF decided to key my trunk a few months ago. Luckily, it was very light scratching. The person did a back and forth motion that left about 8 inch-long scratches on the middle of my trunk. They have been polished out pretty effectively.

I, too, worry about people who might vandalize my car. There are many spiteful people out there who either loathe Hondas (or are jealous because the wasted too much of their snob money on their Boxster ), or loathe what they perceive as an expensive sports car.

I just hope I can avoid this (knocking wood!) in the future.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You should probably just look up my old thread 'Vandalism'. Fully covered my experience, and mentioned several others.

Oh, and I wouldn'y suggest you leave your S parked around the legal district of New York
Old 02-15-2001, 10:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

While I was still in California I was able to leave the top down all the time when going into a store for a few minutes. I learned real quickly you can't do that in Seattle. Seems people like to toss their trash into the car up here.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:11 AM

In Portugal...i take my car everywhere i go...No one ever vandalized my car...Just once,some old guys,at a closed park,fixing some sh!t scratched the right side of my car, i mean DEEP scratches.I had to paint the front right panel,right door,back right panel,rear bumper and even the hardtop BUt they payed the paintjob
Old 02-15-2001, 10:26 AM

Some thieves attempted to steal my car when it was 3 days old. Messed up my door/door handles/ and cut my plastic window. I've gotten the door handles replaced...touch on the doors and i still have to replace the rear window (insurance reasons - the deductible would have been about the cost of the window and was waiting for a good reason to get it done but haven't found one and now i'm impatient) but it hurts when you're car is no longer perfect =(
Old 02-15-2001, 11:03 AM

Knock on wood I have never had a problem on the eastside of Seattle. I routinely leave the top down in warmer weather and all has been well. However, with that said I do use discretion when deciding where to take the car. I never go and park my car in downtown Seattle. Whenever we head into Seattle we always take the Acura regardless of weather.

Certainly part of it is pure luck. No matter how safe or great a place you may be in. Just try and use your best judgment, error on the side of caution, and hope you play the percentages right. Evan doing all of that does not guarantee safety no matter where you are.
Old 02-15-2001, 12:20 PM

I park my car at nights in downtown Portland, OR. Its at PSU, which has a downtown campus. No problems with vandalism there. I suppose it CAN happen anywhere... I mean at the Portland Auto Show, some people swiped the TypeS Badge from the backs of the 01 CL-S and 02 TL-S on the first night...

There is always a risk factor, but the car can always be fixed. It just hurts to have it happen. My S is my only car, so I take GREATER risk than some people who have multiple vehicles/beaters...

But the S is too much fun to leave at home (except in ice/snow)...
Old 02-15-2001, 12:26 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah, you should have seen the vandalism at the Chicago auto show.

We had our midwest mini meet on Saturday evening, the second day of the show...the first day of the public show, and you should have seen it.

At the Toyota and the Honda areas, the shift knobs had all been missing!!! Even the S2K at the Honda arena had the shift know AND the antenna missing. . .I bet you those Toyota guys stole it and put it on their Celica demo to sell as a new option!!!!!
Old 02-15-2001, 12:52 PM
gdw

The advantage of living in a small town (pop, 19,000), I always leave the top down, when I go shopping or to the movies. Of course I have the only one in town, at least that I know about, but I have never had any problems. The only thing I get is I have had people standing waiting to talk to me about my car. Even had one guy who wouldn't leave until I started it, so he could hear the engine.

Quick Reply: S2000: Vandalism