S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Are S2000s not "in" anymore?

Old 09-03-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are S2000s not "in" anymore?

This was such a popular car (and forum) a few years ago. I see many parts that I may need are already "discontinued".

My question is are s2ks still sought after? Still popular in the race scene etc? I feel there is more sites that offer parts for older cars like civics than there is for s2ks. Just my opinion.

And what about this forum? Can't say it's as populated as a few years ago. Use to be so much more parts on marketplace.Did everyone just sell their s2000 and move on?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of inherit that with such an old car that it would lose some fanbase over the years. Many people who used to own an S2000 either crashed it or sold it and moved on. Being a 9y/o car+ also probably doesn't help part availability, as it may not be profitable to continue a niche part line for a car that is no longer in production. I don't think that the attraction of the S2k has decreased though, except for the people who owned theirs and then eventually sold it, who aren't interested in experiencing the same thing again, but for people who haven't owned it before I don't believe they're any less sought after than a couple of years ago, especially considering the lack of similar price to performance cars in the recent years.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you talking about performance parts?
Old 09-04-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Who cares? If you bought your S2000 just to be cool, then eventually you're going to be disappointed. There's always going to be someone that will say another car is more fashionable, especially since the S2000 has been out of production for so long.

The S2000 is going up in value over time. How many cars does that happen to?
Old 09-04-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

All the old Brit sports cars have long been out of production yet remain popular. Parts for them have been reproduced as there is an active demand for them. I suspect the S2000 will be the same. Good quality reproduction AP2V1 alloy wheels are available (purchasers are happy).

As for being kool? If you mean like Fast and Furious kool then, yeah, they're not so much. The trend seems to be swinging back to OEM condition with perhaps mild tweaks but there are still those who think slammed and buggered pulled fenders is "kool."

-- Chuck
Old 09-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Who cares, I can't think of another car that can be bought in the 10-12k area that offers this level of reliability when tracked and with similar levels of performance. Spiritual successor would be a Cayman S, but I can't afford to walk away from that kind of money if something happens... yet.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Just look on BringaTrailer.com and you'll see that there are tons of much, much older cars that may have fallen out of popularity and returned to become desirable again. One example would be the BMW E30. There are many, many others. The S2000 is still very popular among enthusiasts and is a very young car in the grand scheme of things. It will certainly be sought after 20 years from now. I feel it is still at a pretty high point of popularity. Anytime a car has been out of production for basically a decade, the casual buyers who tend to buy new cars every few years have already passed them on and thus aren't on the forums anymore. Ad to that the number that have been wrecked or reitred and the number of existing cars is far less than what it was ten years ago, also bringing the forum participant numbers down. But yeah, I think the S2000 is only continuing to solidify its place in automotive history and popularity among car people.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its an older car, with the original set of owners who have probably moved on to something else at this point. However, I think theres still a lot of enthusiasm around people who still own the car, or just recently bought it secondhand. Personally I was still a kid when the car came out, so there was no way I would've been able to join the party back then :P But I've always wanted one. Plus theres still plenty of parts out there for the car. More then my wallet can handle haha
Old 09-05-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Look at the youth today, do you think many of them care about 2 seat sports cars ?, or care to drive on a closed circuit road course track ? Harley Davidson will have much fewer customers a few years down the road as today's youth age, they just don't care about the same things that past generations used to like. They can get into a New Tesla rather than finance a used car purchase like an S2000.. o
Old 09-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

That being said, I saw a guy under twenty driving an old Rabbit convertible today so maybe there is some hope?

Quick Reply: Are S2000s not "in" anymore?