S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K brakes save deer (and car)

Old 11-12-2000, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex (Texas). Never in my life have I seen so many rabbits and deer on the roads. I counted six deer on a long drive yesterday evening alone. The first two were standing by the shoulder on the exit of a sweeping blind curve. The next pair were stopped in the middle of the road (another blind curve) admiring my HID headlamps as I tested the ABS. One more kept pace with the car before jumping a fence. The last deer wasn't so lucky. It seems to have been killed by a vehicle on HWY 114 near Rhome. I lost count of all the rabbits and mice (none were hit fortunately). At no time was I ever more than about 20 minutes from DFW. Many of the deer were in Fort Worth city limits.
The animals have added some excitement to one of my favorite drives. Anybody else having close encounters with wildlife and your stook?
Old 11-12-2000, 01:27 PM

A deer ran into the side of my S back in July.....$5000 to repair. Looks like new again. The deer wasn't so lucky.
Old 11-12-2000, 02:01 PM

I took a long drive yesterday. I went to Meridian, Tx. That is where my family is from. I was lucky, I didn't encounter any live animals on the drive. I was, however, looking for them. It was very dark on the way home and I was very thankful for the high beams. There is nothing but open land and farms most of the way there. Beautiful drive.
Old 11-12-2000, 04:43 PM

No close encounters in a stook, but several on my bike. Thank god only the 2nd kind. No close encounters of the 3rd kind. I did have a close one with a buzzard. He didn't get up quick enough and I went right under him. They get pretty big here.
Old 11-12-2000, 05:08 PM

This place is infested with deer. They are one of the dumbest warm blooded animals on the planet, although I do believe they could punch a Palm County ballot. They will stand on the shoulder, stare into your headlights, then run in front of you at the last split second. Reflexes and good brakes are imperative. They also eat every flower bearing plant known to man, so forget about a garden.
Old 11-12-2000, 08:25 PM

Deer are one of the biggest road hazards in North Central New Jersey. We have daily reports of deer-related accidents here. I usually have between 6 and 10 grazing on my lawn in the morning and in the twilight hours, when they seem most active. I had deer whistles on my bimmer (don't work). They don't even react when I drive by.

Two close encounters: 1) Coming home one evening in my bimmer and a deer jumped out in front of my car. Was able to swerve in tim and avoid contact. 2) In My Stook last week, was following a guy in a small GM car. He stops short and I cutover to pass him. Deer shoots in front of me for the wooods. I'm now next to the guy in the GM POS. He shoots me a look that says "Dumbass, that's why I stopped."

The moral is don't go trying to go around someone until you can determine why they are stopping.

BigRedESS
Old 11-13-2000, 03:13 AM

This is something that I need to worry about, I live in Virginia, out in the boon-docks and I see deer on the side of the road (about to cross) pretty much nightly. This time of year it gets even worse. Everyone I know has hit a deer at least once. My mother-in-law totaled her Durango hitting a Buck (yes a Durango!) I was thinking about installing those deer whisles on the bottom of the bumper somewhere where you cannnot see them (maybe in the grille). What do you think?
Old 11-13-2000, 06:07 AM

Hey doadea,

Where is gainsville??? In all my years living in VA, I've never heard of it
Old 11-13-2000, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by doadea:
I was thinking about installing those deer whisles on the bottom of the bumper somewhere where you cannnot see them (maybe in the grille). What do you think?
This might be a good option considering where I live. I mean its very urban here, but even in my apartment complex its very common to see a few deer around and where I like to drive they can be a nightmare. I'd call it a small investment if nothing else. I'll wait till I get my stook later this month to see where to hide them.
Old 11-13-2000, 06:27 AM
J R

Bobrod,

Too funny!

Quick Reply: S2K brakes save deer (and car)