S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K Noob Driving Question

Old 01-24-2005, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K Noob Driving Question

Howdy all,

So tried searching a little, but due to my question it was a little hard to narrow down the search criteria.

I have noticed that when I am on the gas (during moderate or hard acceleration) the car tends to pull to the left, and when I let off the gas it feels almost like it comes back to center or to the right a little. I sometimes even notice it when cruising...I'll let off the gas and the car pokes to the right slightly.

When I picked up the car this past Saturday in Tampa, the tire pressue was low in both the rears (but particularly in the left rear). I noticed it after they warmed up and the car was severely pulling to the left so I stopped and bought a tire pressure gauge, and then brought them both up to around 30psi. They seem to be holding the pressure steady so I don't think thats it.

I guess I am wondering if this is just a matter of me getting used to the rear wheel drive (I've been in FF vehicles for the last 10 years or so, an RSX-S being the most recent), or is it something else like an alignment issue? I know this car is very sensitive to steering inputs as well, but this just seemed odd to me.

Any input from you guys would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Craig
Old 01-24-2005, 04:55 PM

I say tire pressure. I used to have this crapola tire gauge that I thought was accurate but it was way off.

I went to Good Year just to have the pressure checked and my guage was waaaaaayyyyy off.

They adjusted and the car drove fine again. I wasnt having the same exact symtoms but mine felt like the rear end was sliding left to right on the freeway while going 50+
Old 01-25-2005, 04:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you bought your car used, so there could be a number of things in play here:

1. Tire pressure
2. Uneven tread wear
3. Blown shock - affecting rebound
4. Aftermarket susepension mods
5. You may need an alignment

If I were you, I would take a look under the car and check your shocks to see if there is anything oozing down them. If there is, then you probably have a blown shock and it will more than likely be one of the front ones (causing this kind of problem). Also while you're down there check to see if any of your sway bars are a different color than Black - same with your rear tie bar. Also check to see if there is something shaped like a X just beneath your motor (most of these are black and can look like something from the factory).

Let us know what you find

And just an FYI: with a RWD car alignments are your best friend
Old 01-25-2005, 07:42 AM

This is a standard response with a north/south motor: on heavt acceleration the torque will cause a pull to the left. Not noticeable with the east/west motors of FWD as torque pulls the car forward. Really noticeable with a torquey V8 motor, but I haven't noticed it yet with my S2K, probably 'cause I have only done 600m with mine since getting it new last Thursday, and am reluctant to open the hrottle fully until it's broken in.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Jan 25 2005, 08:22 AM
I assume you bought your car used, so there could be a number of things in play here:

1. Tire pressure
2. Uneven tread wear
3. Blown shock - affecting rebound
4. Aftermarket susepension mods
5. You may need an alignment

If I were you, I would take a look under the car and check your shocks to see if there is anything oozing down them. If there is, then you probably have a blown shock and it will more than likely be one of the front ones (causing this kind of problem). Also while you're down there check to see if any of your sway bars are a different color than Black - same with your rear tie bar. Also check to see if there is something shaped like a X just beneath your motor (most of these are black and can look like something from the factory).

Let us know what you find

And just an FYI: with a RWD car alignments are your best friend
Thank you all for your replies thus far. I am far from being ignorant when it comes to cars, but very far from being an expert with the s2k.

I did purchase the car used, but there is definitely no suspension mods(bought from my friends 50+ year old mother). I just picked it up this past weekend so I haven't had a "ton" of driving time in it.

I am going to recheck the cold tire pressure today, and I am scheduling an appt. at Honda for an oil change and I am going to ask them to inspect the rest of the car just to make sure everything looks OK. I was going to have this done tomorrow, but I may wait until I can get ahold of some fresh tranny and diff. fluids and have them do all three.

Craig
Old 01-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by JAXrsx,Jan 25 2005, 12:44 PM
I may wait until I can get ahold of some fresh tranny and diff. fluids and have them do all three.
Good idea Craig

I would suggest the LE-607 for the diff.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Jan 25 2005, 12:47 PM
Good idea Craig

I would suggest the LE-607 for the diff.
Yeah thats what I was gonna go with. Seems to be the stuff to use from what I've read.

Any thoughts on the tranny fluid? Is the Red Line stuff good?

Craig
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 AM

Old 01-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by JAXrsx,Jan 25 2005, 12:57 PM
Any thoughts on the tranny fluid? Is the Red Line stuff good?
I plan on changing mine out for the first time this coming April, so I have never paid attention to the different tranny fluids - More than likely it will be another LE product, Red Line, or just the regular old Honda stuff for me.

It would be much easier to get two products from the same vendor though.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

FYI, LE doesn't make a suitable transmission fluid for the S2000. Redline MT-90 works very well (I've used it personally for what can only be described as severe service with stellar resutls).

Quick Reply: S2K Noob Driving Question