S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

is the S2k safe???

Old 05-11-2003, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the S2k safe???

I am seriously thinking about getting the S2k, but i keep getting comments
on how unsafe this vehicle is. That if i'm to get into an accident, it will be over
instantly.

This worries me because i usually like heafty cars that will protect me, but i've
had my heart set on the S2K, and if this safety issue is tru, then i'll be very javascript:smilie('')

So yea, about un-safeness of this car.....Is this tru....and if so....please explain how so.

Thanx!javascript:smilie('')
Old 05-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes it's safe.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:38 PM

It all depends on how you drive. If you drive crazy then yeah the car can be dangerous (rear wheel drive with a good amount of power). Just be careful
Old 05-11-2003, 04:44 PM

s2k2nv-

definately try using the search feature of the site, as i think this topic has been tackled before ... but no problem ... welcome.

check out this address: http://www.nhtsa.com/NCAP/Cars/2387.html

the short of it .... it's a 2600 lb roadster. you've probably taken physics, it's not hard to figure what would happen in an accident with a 5000 lb suv (i hate them!).... but, regardless of its shape/size, it does remarkeably well in crash tests (as evidenced by link above) as well as actual unfortunate crashes by members here (pictures probably found in search). notice they don't have rollover info in that test ... but i suspect rollover is far less probable in this car, and given the roll bars and reinforced windshield ... probably far better than other cars.

but remember, this sucker turns and stops faster than 99.999% of the cars and trucks out there.... which is something those crash tests don't show. so given that you are the great, responsible driver that most S2000 owner's are, there is a far better chance that you will avoid the simpler accidents than those same 99.999%!

if you have to have one .... get one!

Brian
Old 05-11-2003, 04:48 PM

Most of the times Hondas are better at the whole crashing thing.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:58 PM
mas

I think the number of fatalities considering the number of accidents is very very very low for this car. Many people, including myself, have walked away after an accident without a scratch. The car is very well constructed to protect the occupents by absorbing most of the shock via crush zones/etc. This means expensive collision repair but you'd be safe. The cost of my repairs to date is is over $24000 and it was really not that bad of an accident - slipped off the ramps doing 30MPH and hit couple trees.

I wouldn't worry about my own safely in this car. As for the number of accidents, let's not go there....
Old 05-11-2003, 05:34 PM

Short answer, yes it is safe.

Long answer, it depends what aspects of safety concern you.

For passive safety, it is pretty much as safe or safer than a similar sized convertible car like a Boxster or Z4. Physics is physics so if a multi-ton semi wants to run you over it will. Convertibles will always have a disadvantage in rollovers. If the smallness concerns you no small car will be satisfactory as a huge luxo-boat.

The active safety pretty much depends on your skills and control as a driver. A somewhat powerful rear wheel drive car will always have a tendency to fishtail if you don't control your steering, braking and/or acceleration. The S2000 does have a slight tendency to oversteer, but you would really have to go crazy to get to that point. The S2000 has no electronic aids (traction or stability control) so if you are unsure of your abilities there is no safety net. On the other hand, if you take the time to learn the car and advanced driving skills, the cars handling and braking will allow you to avoid accidents that you would normally be a just a passenger in a lesser performing car.

Quite honestly, all the horror stories about the unpredicability of the car or poor wet weather handling is overblown. If you drive the car like you would any boring family sedan, you won't get in trouble. If you want to get some high performance fun, just be prepared invest some time learning the car. I will say unlike some cars which you just get in and easy to drive fast, the S2000 requires you to build up your skills and knowledge to get the most out of the car. But I think and I would guess most of the people on this board, consider learning the capabilities of the car one of the most fun and best things about the car.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:44 PM

I agree. safety is determined by how you drive. if you take more risks and drive agressively, you put yourself in greater peril. that's regardless of what car you drive, it's just a simple fact.

now, I've witnessed as a driver the handling unpredictability of the S2000, but in my particular case it's really something i should have been (and wasn't) prepared for. like everyone said, in a head to head with a soccer mom in an X5 you're toast, but that's true for most cars. (though the extensive front crush zone and inherent structural rigidity and integrity of the car will do spades to keep you alive if the closing speed isn't too great...) in physics(collisions), momentum is everything, and momentum=(mass)(velocity^2). so, the speed of the collision is far more critical to your survival of the resultant forces that are generated on your body than the mass of the vehicles involved, and speed is something for which the S2000 has a higher than average capability. Drive safe, drive smart, and you'll be just fine in an S2000. Xpander4 told me that on a motorcyle, it's you vs. the traffic always. defensive driving will keep you alive, on a bike, or in a car.

Quick2K
Old 05-11-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by epnfrn
[B]s2k2nv-

definately try using the search feature of the site, as i think this topic has been tackled before ... but no problem ... welcome.

check out this address:
Old 05-11-2003, 06:15 PM

I agree entirely with shift_9k and quick2k, but please remember that in addition to 'accident avoidence' ... the tests don't lie -- the S2000 gets 4 and 5 stars -- which means that it does as good or better than all cars out there (regardless of it's size/class/weight.)

it is that combination of avoidance and crash safety that makes it pretty damn good in my books. it's still no volvo or minivan ... but are those on your grocery list?

b

Quick Reply: is the S2k safe???