S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2k value dealers pay?

Old 11-20-2020, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question S2k value dealers pay?

I am trying to hold on to my original 2008 black S2k with 16k miles, but I may have to sell it after all. Question is, what do car dealers pay on trade ins for these cars? Do they go only by KBB value or do they consider market adjusted price?
Old 11-20-2020, 06:50 AM

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

No way a dealer is going to give you what the car is worth. If the vehicle is in great shape (all VIN stickers, minimal body/interior blemishes, etc), you would be much better served selling privately or at least giving BaT a shot.
The following users liked this post:
Dave JP (11-25-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 07:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

BAT or Cars and Bids or some other "enthusiast" site. Here in the classifieds, even. You will hate yourself for selling such a beautiful car, but it'll be even worse if you short-sell it.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, all VINs intact. No accidents. Car never seen rain. All OEM except for K&N air filter. Car always garaged. Never tracked.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:36 AM

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

KBB says your car (excellent condition) is worth $28k-$30k. I would suspect that you could do a bit better than that selling privately.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:42 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

You could take it to CarMax, to see how much they'd give you. It should be a decent indicator of what other dealers would give. Its not like a Honda dealer would be any more eager for it than any other used Honda.

Once you get that reality check, look into the more realistic options others spelled out in this thread already.
timg (11-23-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:14 AM

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nil-S2k
KBB says your car (excellent condition) is worth $28k-$30k. I would suspect that you could do a bit better than that selling privately.
I'm actually floored by this! I thought if I pulled KBB up it would be $10k less than this easily!

Yes, you can get more from something like BAT, which is what I would recommend. With that being said...the dealer route at this price isn't the worst thing ever, certainly if you get in a pinch it would do.

I do slightly disagree with one thing posted above, many dealership owners are also car collectors. The Acura dealership by me has an NSX fan as the owner, he has a few there on display, old and new models. The Ford/Subaru dealership has a TON of collector cars on display from the owner. So a Honda dealership may look more favorably on something like that actually as the owner may want it.

Either way, the KBB price is way more than I thought it would be.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:14 PM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree with what donkeykong has stated about some dealers being car collectors / enthusiasts. Honda didn't want dealership owners getting a first year S2000 for themselves when they first came out. They were to be pre sold to retail customers with a $10000.00 nonrefundable deposit. I ordered two, a Silverstone / red in a good friends name for me, and a red one that we had taken a $5000.00 deposit on. (10K seemed excessive to me). The red one came in first, I think the serial # ended with 007, a very early Canadian car. The buyer was not from the area, and the car sat in the showroom for several weeks. Mine showed up a few weeks later. Those two cars in the showroom together were quite a sight!

The buyer for the red one arrived with her boyfriend and went for a test drive. They were gone for a while, and when they got back to the shop, she had a speeding ticket to show for her efforts! They left vowing to be back in a couple of days for the car. A couple of days came and went, so I gave the them a call. They had decided to not buy the car and went back home. She knew the 5K was nonrefundable and was fine with that. My Silverstone came in shortly afterwards, and we had the best looking showroom in town!

I spent more than a few nights after closing time staring at the two cars, wondering if I should go with my initial choice, or go with the early serial # red one. In the end I went with the silver. The red was awesome, but I knew it would be a ticket magnet (already proven) plus one of my best dealer friend buddies didn't order an S2000, and desperately wanted one. Twenty one years and 45000 kms later, the silver car is still in my garage and always will be. For the last nine years there has been another Silverstone "Honda" keeping it company, a 2003 NSX. I'm not stuck in a rut however as it has a black interior!

We decided to use the $5K deposit on a blowout party in the showroom for our family, friends, customers, and staff for New Years 2000, complete with fireworks, food and cheer, and a kickass blues band. It was indeed a night to remember, and the party resumed for many of us on New Years Day for the long cleanup.

The following 3 users liked this post by The King:
donkeykong (11-23-2020), jaymz (11-20-2020), S2KNorth (11-25-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 04:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

First off I would never ever go to a dealer to sell an S2000. They are in business to make money, buy low, sell high obviously. But I really want to know why NADA prices are absolutely in the basement in regards to S2000's? Right now KBB says a range from $20-23K. NADA is $13k. And when I got mine my bank would only loan me the NADA amount and a percentage over. All I hear is NADA has inflated prices, but not with the S2000?
JackTs2K (11-23-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 07:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The King
I agree with what donkeykong has stated about some dealers being car collectors / enthusiasts. Honda didn't want dealership owners getting a first year S2000 for themselves when they first came out. They were to be pre sold to retail customers with a $10000.00 nonrefundable deposit. I ordered two, a Silverstone / red in a good friends name for me, and a red one that we had taken a $5000.00 deposit on. (10K seemed excessive to me). The red one came in first, I think the serial # ended with 007, a very early Canadian car. The buyer was not from the area, and the car sat in the showroom for several weeks. Mine showed up a few weeks later. Those two cars in the showroom together were quite a sight!

The buyer for the red one arrived with her boyfriend and went for a test drive. They were gone for a while, and when they got back to the shop, she had a speeding ticket to show for her efforts! They left vowing to be back in a couple of days for the car. A couple of days came and went, so I gave the them a call. They had decided to not buy the car and went back home. She knew the 5K was nonrefundable and was fine with that. My Silverstone came in shortly afterwards, and we had the best looking showroom in town!

I spent more than a few nights after closing time staring at the two cars, wondering if I should go with my initial choice, or go with the early serial # red one. In the end I went with the silver. The red was awesome, but I knew it would be a ticket magnet (already proven) plus one of my best dealer friend buddies didn't order an S2000, and desperately wanted one. Twenty one years and 45000 kms later, the silver car is still in my garage and always will be. For the last nine years there has been another Silverstone "Honda" keeping it company, a 2003 NSX. I'm not stuck in a rut however as it has a black interior!

We decided to use the $5K deposit on a blowout party in the showroom for our family, friends, customers, and staff for New Years 2000, complete with fireworks, food and cheer, and a kickass blues band. It was indeed a night to remember, and the party resumed for many of us on New Years Day for the long cleanup.
That is an amazing story! Drummed up some nostalgia for me as well as I think back to my own (original) purchase experience almost 20 years ago!

Quick Reply: S2k value dealers pay?