S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2K vs. Modded Miata - Drove them back to back

Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K vs. Modded Miata - Drove them back to back

I posted a few days ago asking how these two cars would compare. I posted on the NorCal forum asking if someone would like to trade cars and go for a cruise for a bit. Much to my surprise someone was cool enough to take me up on the offer. (Thanks again David, aka HMBS2K.)

Today we went for a ride on some of the best and most beautiful sports car roads in existence. Down the coast along the Pacific a bit, then onto some roads that wind through redwood forests. (I can't believe this is my life ).

This gave me a chance to really get a feel for the car, a pristine white '07, rather than a 5 minute test drive with some salesman prattling away next to me. It was pretty much as expected, very much a shiny, clean scalpel, whereas the Miata is more of a pocket knife. The Honda is bigger than the Miata, mostly I noticed its width - it also seemed to sit me higher above the ground. Felt much more substantial and sturdy compared to the relatively rinky-dink Miata. Very tight, no rattles, no shakes, nothing.

It's faster than my supercharged Miata, but not by a lot - fast, but not crazy fast. The car had a loud aftermarket exhaust on it that sounded great at full throttle, really ferocious, but at part throttle had the worst drone of any car I've ever driven. It must have had the same frequency as my brain cabinet is tuned to, because I heard it not just in my ears, but right thru the bone of my skull - really annoying. I'm sure with the right exhaust the car would sound fantastic at any rpm and/or throttle position. No Miata engine will every sound as good as the S2K did at full throttle.

The car handled beautifully. I didn't push it too hard, but I had the feeling it would easily run through any corner at three times the speed it was posted at. Very stable and precise. Due to it's larger size, it doesn't feel as go-kart-like and tossable as the Miata, but I didn't get a chance to really throw it around like I would on an autocross course. It had HKS suspension on it, don't know much more than that, but it rode smoothly over the few surface irregularities I encountered - seemed very livable.

The Honda really doesn't feel much like a first gen Miata, it feels more like a very quick, rwd, slightly downsized Civic,or as I imagine what an Acura Type R might feel like. It has a very "Honda" vibe to it, in the best possible way. I think it would make a better daily driver or long distance cruiser than the Miata, and would probably beat my modded Miata around a track, but the Miata clearly has a more raw, direct, and connected feel.

Rather than a replacement for my Miata, I might consider it as a replacement for my WRX, it seems like a very entertaining car to drive everyday. Like I told David, the owner of the car - "That is one fine automobile."
Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you had a good time. i have spent time on track in a miata built for spec miata racing, and they are fun as hell. i think that for someone on a budget they are the perfect track car.

i do agree with your opinion that the s2k is much better for a daily routine. it has many of the comforts that the miata lacks, and a much more refined feel. thats also why it weighs about 500-600lbs more than a miata.

if you do get an s2k keep in mind that the rear end is a little more difficult to control once it gets loose. so until you have had some practice in a safe environment (I.E. track) be careful trying to push it. number one rule which almost everyone around here agrees on is: don't lift mid corner.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice writeup!

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JS2k.com,Mar 26 2010, 06:43 AM
Nice writeup!
Thanks for posting this.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:54 AM

Having owned both a Miata and S2000, I can agree with your driving assessment.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Nice write-up. I was just thinking about your comment "but the Miata clearly has a more raw, direct, and connected feel" and then I saw it was an AP2 you had driven. I don't know if you are looking for more raw-ness but I would say test out the AP1s in that case. I can definitely say that the AP1 is more raw than the AP2. Well, just a suggestion if you ever want to try. Anyways, thanks for the write-up.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics or it never happened. lol