UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2K vs RX8

Old 10-17-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K vs RX8

Some of you might remember me posting for comments and opinions on the RX8 a little while back as I am thinking of going for something with 4 seats...

General opinion seemed to be that they are OK apart from fuel consumption, but not really in the same league as the S.

Well I decided to take one for a test drive today and here is the verdict:

The RX8 is an excellent car....
The RX8 is not better than the S2000.... they are chalk and cheese.

Here it is in a bit more detail:

Engine - I think the rotary engine is deeply impressive (I drove the higher power version). I love the noise it makes, I love the way it revs even more willingly than our S2K engines, it has similar characteristics as the S2K (ie adequate but not impressive torque low down). It felt like it wanted to be thrashed all the time, something which I find a bit wearing after a while in the S. RX8 wins.

Handling - no contest. The RX8 feels big and is nowhere near as involving as the S. It also feels a lot safer, more predicatable. It just isn't as much fun. Having said that, on some bumpy Suffolk back roads that I use quite a bit it did handle very well indeed, very easy to go fast where the S would have felt very nervous indeed. For overall chassis competence I would say they are of a similar standard but with different compromises, for driver involvement the S wins easily.

Cabin - the RX8 is really well equipped and quite nicely put together without too many silly frilly designerish bits (like the TT and 350Z suffer from, for example). The driving position is good, the seats comfortable. But it feels like a Mondeo after sitting in the S. In the S you become part of the car (apologies for the cliche but you know what I mean), with the RX8 you sit in it. S wins.

Comfort - no contest really, the RX is very smooth, very quiet and has a good stereo as standard. The S has great seats IMO but is much noisier at any speed. RX wins, but who cares anyway ;-)

Styling - totally subjective this one but I like the look of both cars. The RX looks really good in black. However the S has, IMO, one of the classiest shapes of any car ever. The RX is just good. S wins easily.

Gearbox- You already know the answer to this one. S wins easily. The RX is still pretty good though, anybody who hadn't driven an S would be impressed with it! After the S it feels ponderous.

Overall - I really like the RX8 but it is aiming to fulfil very different requirements to the S2K. The S is far more involving a driver's car, there really is no contest in this respect. The RX8 is much more refined, more practical, and has one of the best engines I have ever driven (mpg notwithstanding...). It also of course suffers from having a roof you can't remove ;-).

Bottom line - I need a car with 4 seats. I can't afford both. I intend to buy an RX8. I will miss my S immensly.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:43 PM

With all your comments. Shame you can't post that offer in the FS section, someone will get a bargain.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Oct 17 2005, 01:43 PM
With all your comments. Shame you can't post that offer in the FS section, someone will get a bargain.
Even the one about the engine? That part of the RX really suprised me - I love the engine in the S but the rotary is in a different league.... if they can sort the fuel consumption out we will see them appearing in a lot more cars. But that's a big if.....they haven't managed it in the last 30 years!!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:32 PM

It's *very* heavy on oil, as far as I'm aware - that could end up costing you a lot so go into the deal with your eyes open, if that makes sense...
Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 AM

Maybe not the engine comments, although it is a good engine.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write and a good comparison... but they are different cars.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Jerry,

That is an excellent write-up and virtually matches my opinion of the two cars.

I would add that, If you can source a good late low mileage RX-8, the depreciation should become manageable.

The saving on finance costs/depn (the car is a bloody bargain compared to what say, BMW would want for it) should negate the extra
Old 10-18-2005, 04:32 AM

I thought the engine felt weak in terms of its pull (was in most powerful version) and sounded wheezy compared to the metallic bark of the S2000 - I much prefered the S2000s powerplant
Old 10-18-2005, 05:42 AM

I'm still not sure about the looks, will always prefer the RX-7.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:21 AM

hmm that's an interesting comment about squirt and people getting hung up on it. People will have no problems adding

Quick Reply: S2K vs RX8