S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2k vs. U.D.O

Old 03-22-2001, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving home from bowling yesterday cruising at 75mph, I passed this electron blue Unidentified Driving Object. I mean, I didn't know what it was, had the gigantic rear wing like appendage on the trunk, all this stuff sticking out on the side of the car, huge front air dam thing, about six driving lights, and chrome wheels. I couldn't tell what it was but I passed it by minding my own business. After being about 7-10 car lengths ahead of it, I see the six drivings lights start gaining on me until it was right next to me on the freeway. Then I hear the engine from the UDO kinda roar, more like squeek as he down shifted... To race or something I guess. Well, being in sixth at 75mph, I kinda just pressed on the gas a little bit and started passing him by. I could tell he was giving it his all because I was driving with the radio off and could hear his engine was straining trying to accelerate past me.

Then out of no where, I think he hit the "juice," as he lifted off the ground with his montrous wing and flew off into the night sky, with his six lights showing him the way to the heavens, his front air dam and side things on his car providing all the lift he needed as he steered with his rudder like protrusion on his trunk lid. jk

After I slowed back down to 75mph after an awe inspring take off in sixt gear, I looked over the UDO a little more closely and I believe it was what used to be a civic Si, I think... they do come in that blue color and it did look like it had an red Si sticker on the back. With all the money he spent, coundn't he have just bought a faster, better car to begin with and not have all that hideous, useless aerodynamic stuff on what is basically an econobox with a little higher top end? I have to question some of my younger asian brethens sometimes, why? Why? Why?!?!?
Old 03-22-2001, 10:45 AM

Funny story... I also wonder why people spend so much money on making a car look like it's fast, when they could have bought a faster car to begin with. That being said, the Civic Si is not an "econobox." It is a quick, fun to drive, practical, mid-range priced car.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:15 AM

That is a funny story! We get a lot of cars like that here in SoCal. It's funny how people will buy these Hyundai's and civics and put 50 1b. wings on them. They stick an ungodly huge muffler on it and think it's fast. These cars sound like a mouse with a soar throat! I think it's hillarious, I laugh everytime. Oh, and yes I agree a Civic is an excellent, practical, reliable, peppy econo sedan. In otherwords, an "Econobox". Nothing against civics, my family have owned Honda's since the 70's but they are designed for a small family or college student who want reliable, economical transportation. What are you gonna do???
Old 03-22-2001, 11:26 AM
Bieg

That is a funny story! We get a lot of cars like that here in SoCal. It's funny how people will buy these Hyundai's and civics and put 50 1b. wings on them. They stick an ungodly huge muffler on it and think it's fast.
Don't laugh too loud, there are plenty people of that same type of mind-set posting on this board. Stupid wings, body kits, loud exhausts that don't really add any power, "cold air induction" that actually rob power, VTEC Lights, suspension kits that actually degrade handling, big wheels that rub fenders when you hit bumps, 100 extra pounds in stereo weight, etc....

It is the same mind-set working with more money on a higher end car. Just as dumb IMHO.

To each his own but I laugh at them as much as I laugh at these Civic race boys.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:29 AM

Good point Bieg, I agree...to each his own.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:07 PM

So huyto how did you bowl?
Old 03-22-2001, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my gosh, an invader from the planet rice!

Did you happen to see the UDO's occupants? Were they wearing a baseball cap and a jogging suit? Did they attempt to paralyze you with their 80db ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) beam?

I think its a domino effect...someone buys a Civic, then they see one with a cool spoiler-so they add that, then they see a front spoiler, they gotta have that. Then they see some cool lights...etc... Eventually every accessory they see in a magazine has made it onto this car. What they fail to recognize is that 1 might look good on another car they see, but combined they produce something that makes you laugh when you see it. But who knows, maybe that is the effect they're shooting for. They better watch where they drive though because some country folk might just chase the UFO away, with a shotgun.

-B
Old 03-22-2001, 01:43 PM

Be a little careful messing with those Civics. I understand the Civic is as popular a candidate for hot-rodding as were the Fords and Chevies of yesteryear, especially in S. Cali. Granted, I'm sure the majority have only been cosmetically enhanced/altered.
Old 03-22-2001, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some unfortunate attitudes here. While I bemoan the "rice" factor on so many Hondas out here in SoCal, the reason these cars have become so popular is because they do have legitimate performance potential.

Consider this. A typical Civic Si or Integra GS-R weighs around 2600 lbs. That's 150 lbs lighter than our S2K. Furthermore, they have smaller losses through the tranny (FWD). The Integra engine is only 200 cc smaller than ours and has similar performance parameters (just less :-). And finally, these cars are so well known that getting more performance out of them (a lot more) is formulaic. Moreover, its a lot cheaper. Buy a used GS-R for $12k, drop $8k in mods into it and it will be a lot quicker than you might think - and it will be uniquely yours.

So when you run into a 2200 lbs hatchback with a type-R translplant making 220 hp with a good suspension setup, don't be surprised when they hand you your hat. God forbid they've got a sueprcharger or turbo kit (at half the price we pay). With a supercharger, an otherwise stock Integra GS-R matches the S2K in power, has more torque and less weight.

Mind you this doesn't make the cars better, nor does it justify rice. But look down your nose at "lesser" Hondas at your own risk. I'm fortunate enough to own both an S2K and a CRX. Love them both for different reasons and I will hang on to both.

UL
Old 03-22-2001, 03:25 PM

I think a turbo GSR, or Si would be awesome too. Even a hybrid LS integ engine in a crx is pretty quick. But even with those mods, it would not require a car to have so much aerodynamic downforce needs on the trunk. Its just not necessary. Corvettes don't have em, and they are actually RWD cars with over 300hp requiring the downforce to the rear wheels. Tuning for peformance is great, I'm all for it too, but why are you going to tack on a 5-10 pound wing onto the trunk of your car for more drag, and a heavier car? All the money that guy spent, he could've actually gotten a turbo for that civic. Now that would've made his car a little more interesting.

Oh well, at least he didn't paint some pastel yellow or orange. Don't get me started on those guys. Ridicules.

And I had a bad night at the lanes too, usually around a 190-200 average for a decent night, but with bad lanes yesterday, was throwing 160's 180's. Got hit up a bill, ouch...

Quick Reply: S2k vs. U.D.O