S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Salesperson Bait and Switch (Long)

Old 11-20-2001, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salesperson Bait and Switch (Long)

Check this out. When I found out that a local dealership had the exact car I wanted in stock, a '02 Spa, I called and spoke with a seemingly very nice salesperson. I told her that I want to pay MSRP and nothing over. She informed me that they were asking MSRP + $2000, and this was not negotiable. I asked this question in many ways, and she asked me to come in and look at it. I told her I didn't want to waste my time since she wasn't negotiable on the price. Anyway, a day or so later I figured I'd swing by and give this dealership one last chance, as they are close to my house.

So, I walk in there around 7:00pm on Friday night, walked straight up to the customer service desk (since nobody came to me), told the lady that I wanted to buy that there car right now. She got me a salesman, and we started talking. About 5 mins after I sit down, some woman (same one I initially talked to on the phone) came up to me and asked me my name. She recognized my name and said, "oh yeah, we talked on the phone". I agreed, and didn't really say anything else. I went on to deal with the new salesman.

Well, last night was one month after I bought the car, and she called me and asked me how everything was etc. I'm wondering what happened to my other salesguy - the one that actually sold me my car.

I walked into the dealership and specifically did NOT ask to talk to her, because I didn't think I could deal with her, and wanted to start off fresh with someone else.

So, did she get credit for the sale anyway? If so, that sucks hard because I really made this other salesman work hard, and he deserves the commision, not her.

I probably shouldn't really give a damn, but this just has me wondering.

Sorry this is way too long, but what do you think?
Old 11-20-2001, 11:14 AM

Call him & ask him if he got credit?
Old 11-20-2001, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Life's too short to worry over *her* feelings... If you are curious, ask the general manager just what probably transpired on the commission-end of your transaction. Explain to the GM that you believe the salesperson that closed the deal should rightly be the honorable receiver of any commission.

Worst bite will be that the sales lady you dealt with over the phone will actually turn out to be the GM or something

But honestly, I can't imagine the GM being peeved to answer to such a customer request. At the same time, seems the sales lady deserves some credit too...which one of them called you a month later to ask how you are enjoying the car? Unless you have a real hard-on to block her progress, etc., for however she might have treated you on the phone,... the fact is she didn't have to call to see how satisfied you are with your purchase. sorry...just playin' devil's advocate here...

Either way, just smile knowing you have a sweeeeet car!

I've been off for the last two days & have enjoyed the top down immensely. In fact, having purchased my Spa on Nov 11th, I've only driven with the top up twice...and that was morning drives to work. In, what, 10 days?...I've put over 1,500 miles on the car!
Old 11-20-2001, 11:25 AM

for a second i thought you were talking about a salesperson bait and switching you on the car...sheesh...this is pretty simple. ask the sales manager...dont' worry about her...what can she do?
Old 11-20-2001, 11:34 AM

w1ngman: Welp, I have nothing against the woman. The phone call I had with her was very friendly, and didn't get tense or hostile at all. She just insisted that they would not budge on the price, so I decided not to deal with her anymore.

Swurvydel: sorry for the confusion, and I will not bother calling as I really don't care, but it does make me curious.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:01 PM

I wouldn't worry much about it. More then likely she didn't get anything out of it, unless she was around during some of the paperwork.
Old 11-20-2001, 12:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moonpie
[B]Check this out.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:04 PM

Coming from a sales management background, I would say that both the initial sales person who fielded your call and the person who closed the deal should split the deal. As to how its weighted, its really up to the sales manager.

It is impossible to be at the dealership all the time, and it is impossible to sell every prospective customer. However, the person who CLOSES the deal will always be creditted part if not all of the deal. (Not unlike a retail sales person who rings you up at the register...they get the commissions regardless of who sold it to you!)

So Radster- Your friend was lucky that he/she got part of that deal since you chose to purchse from someone else.

So long as you understand that this is who most commission stores operate, you can responsd accordingly.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yu888
[B]So Radster-
Old 11-20-2001, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having experience in the car business, I can say with certainty that the sale was split between the two people. The guy who helped you with the car, if he's honest, is totally okay with this. He doesn't want a reputation for stealing deals. I know...you feel he deserves the whole thing. But it doesn't work that way.

Salespeople generally don't get paid a salary...their income is usually commision only. So they go through great pains to protect their deals. Salespeople keep a log with notes...like who she talked to (you) and what date she talked to you on. She then has proof if you ever come in that she helped you originally. Though you may feel she doesn't deserve the deal, the fact is she did help you. She got half. Did the guy who helped you at least call you to thank you?

Quick Reply: Salesperson Bait and Switch (Long)