S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Salvage Titles

Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since were on the topic,
We all know kbb prices are outrageous. Well this guy put up a salvaged s2k up for 11k. its an 02 with 98,000 miles.
The kbb value for the car is 12k. Which is on the upper end.
From what is said above, at 50% of 12k is 6k. Is this guy offering way too much, just because its lowered with rims?
What should I offer him if I decide to buy the car?
Let me know if you want me to post the link (dont go and buy the car now )
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil Dre
Since were on the topic,
We all know kbb prices are outrageous. Well this guy put up a salvaged s2k up for 11k. its an 02 with 98,000 miles.
From what is said above, at 50% of 12k is 6k. Is this guy offering way too much, just because its lowered with rims?
Id say it depends on where the damage was and how it was repaired. Thats why i took pics, to document exactly what was broken. Also, unless you really love the rims and suspension, you can pick up a used stock set of both for $500 total so if hell take more off and keep them, id go that route. I tend to lowball when i buy, cuz you can always go up, but i have yet to meet a seller who will let you negotiate down from your previous offer

If youre in California let me sell you mine instead Less miles, its an 03, and bone stock.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Syn
General rule is 50-60% of the value of a clean car. The two biggest roadblocks are:

1) Seller will also own a vehicle with a severely reduced resale value when they are finished with the car (vicious cycle)
2) As previously noted, quality of work is an unknown and some stuff like airbags tend to be fairly important...I would want to know for sure that my car had them!

If there are fewer S2000s in your area and yours is really clean, maybe 70% of clean car value if you are willing to wait.
How would i check the airbags? They hadnt deployed when i got the car at auction, no SRS light on, and wouldnt codes have shown up when they hooked up to the car for the smog?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by sk8za
Originally Posted by Lil Dre' timestamp='1370995745' post='22602316
Since were on the topic,
Id say it depends on where the damage was and how it was repaired. Thats why i took pics, to document exactly what was broken. Also, unless you really love the rims and suspension, you can pick up a used stock set of both for $500 total so if hell take more off and keep them, id go that route. I tend to lowball when i buy, cuz you can always go up, but i have yet to meet a seller who will let you negotiate down from your previous offer

If youre in California let me sell you mine instead Less miles, its an 03, and bone stock.
Nah, Florida.
Heres the car,

I Think if I decide to buy, Ill offer him 6k and show him this thread, or talk to him about salvage worth.
And I do like the rims, lol
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by sk8za' timestamp='1371052677' post='22603584
[quote name='Lil Dre' timestamp='1370995745' post='22602316']
Since were on the topic,

Nah, Florida.
Heres the car,

I Think if I decide to buy, Ill offer him 6k and show him this thread, or talk to him about salvage worth.
[/quote]

Hmm, Florida, that could be a fun drive Thats the thing about this car, everything seems to be in driving distance now
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM

So many people forget that this car is salvaged on something as simple as getting the seats stolen.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by RC 94
So many people forget that this car is salvaged on something as simple as getting the seats stolen.
In the case of this car, it was salvaged for an accident. No airbags deployed though. Ive edited the original post to add pics directly rather than the link.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8za
Originally Posted by Lil Dre' timestamp='1371056327' post='22603779
[quote name='sk8za' timestamp='1371052677' post='22603584']
[quote name='Lil Dre' timestamp='1370995745' post='22602316']
Since were on the topic,

Nah, Florida.
Heres the car,

[/quote]

Hmm, Florida, that could be a fun drive Thats the thing about this car, everything seems to be in driving distance now
[/quote]

That car looks horrible...
Old 06-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by RC 94
Yeah, true. but even in my case, its still a rebuilt title, and that hurts resale, and if you get into an accident, you wont as much as a clean title car. So you have to sell it cheaper
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by RC 94' timestamp='1371065502' post='22604280
Yeah, true. but even in my case, its still a rebuilt title, and that hurts resale, and if you get into an accident, you wont as much as a clean title car. So you have to sell it cheaper
Or have a buddy with a body shop who can give a low enough quote to keep it from getting salvaged again, but high enough that you dont lose money. I did that with my car, paid about $2500 in parts and labor to fix a car that the insurance co paid out $18k on and said it was totaled. Unfortunately, i over paid at auction so now im going to have trouble getting back what i put in.

I added pictures to the first post so everyone can see the horrible damage

Quick Reply: Salvage Titles