S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

San Bernardino Driving school

Old 05-07-2001, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you interested in going to the San Bernardino Driving school that is run by the Sherriff's department, I need to get a show of hands that can make it. I talked with the instructor and the next open date for a group is July 21. The class holds a maximum of 20 people. We need to fill that completely before he will teach the class. If we don't fill the 20 spots before the end of the month, he will open it up to outsiders.

We will have a flier describing this in more detail at the West LA meet on 5/19.

For more info, go to http://www.evoc.org. Click on "courses" in the left menu and the choose "General Public Courses Only" in the drop down menu. The class is called Advanced Defensive Driving techniques. There are discounts for being AAA members or being related to a law enforecement officer (immediate family).

I'm just seeing what the level of interest is in this to see if we can get 20 people.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:24 PM

I'm #2.
Old 05-07-2001, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wanabe #3
Old 05-07-2001, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm number 4
Old 05-07-2001, 07:36 PM

I'm #5! I am a AAA member... what's the discount?

[Edited by SteveUCI on 05-07-2001 at 08:42 PM]
Old 05-07-2001, 08:09 PM

how much? if i am in town..i'd love to go
Old 05-08-2001, 07:22 AM

Here's the deal on the discounts.

If you're a AAA member, the price goes down to $225. If you're related to a law enforecement officer (has to be immediate family), the price goes down to $187.50.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put me on the list, and an unexpected AAA discount. Hmm, did you notice Code 3 driving under the Ambulance class...
Old 05-08-2001, 09:37 AM

In this course, what are we going to be driving? Their cars or ours? I assumed their cars, but just wanna be sure. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2001, 10:15 AM

OK everyone,

Here's some more info. I talked with the instructor and here's what he told me.

1) We drive their cars. They have a fleet of Crown Victorias. By the way, the Crown Victorias are all rear wheel drive

2) It's an 8 hour class with 2 hours of class time and 6 hours of drive time.

3) The 6 hours of drive time is where you learn 4 different driving techniques listed below:

a) Skid Pan - The instructor forces you into several differnt skids and they teach you how to recover from them.

b) Accident Avoidance - Basically, they teach you to swerve the car to avoid accidents.

c) Slow Speed Manuevers - They teach you how to manuever the car in very tight spots. Teach you how to park the car (parallel park). They have a narrow street course they take you out on and there's some cones set up very closely.

d) Steer and Brake - Basically a slow speed auto cross course. He told me the purpose of this exercise is to teach you where the right side of your car is.

That is the basic course. The instructor told me that we could modify it slightly if we wanted to, as long as we all agreed. One of the modification he suggested was dropping the Steer and Brake portion and putting in a high speed autocross portion. They would basically teach you how to turn into corners and let you drive fast around their track. He told me that they don't teach this to civilians anymore, since you'd be able to drive as fast as the cops. He's willing to let us do this on the condition that everyone BEHAVES!!! They don't like seeing their cars spin out into the dirt.

For all of this to happen, we need to sign up 20 people. That's the only way he'll be willing to modify the driving course for us.

If you're interested, please respond.

Quick Reply: San Bernardino Driving school