S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Savagegeese made the best s2000 buyers guide video

Old 09-18-2018, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW

Yours is just one example out of thousands. If I’m not mistaken don’t you resort to using the foam wrapped separator device to keep If from getting scratched every time you put the top down?
does using the foam "device" prove your point? I don't find it to be a chore whatsoever, and since the car is never driven in rain or snow, the 50 pounds I save versus a glass window works out better for me.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by captain slowly
does using the foam "device" prove your point? I don't find it to be a chore whatsoever, and since the car is never driven in rain or snow, the 50 pounds I save versus a glass window works out better for me.
Fifty pounds?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CMK
Fifty pounds?
The whole ap2 top with glass is 70lbs. No way that glass is more than 10 lbs, and that's being generous.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by captain slowly
I think that it supports the point that was being made in the video. I've owned a couple of roadsters with plastic rear windows in the past and I'm well aware of their shortcomings. 50 pounds? No.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

I think it was a great video....Of course there will be nitpickers, but I think it covers all bases in terms of a culmination of the knowledge these forums have produced over the years. NVH, road noise, rattles, etc can vary between car to car and how keen someone's perception is. It's purely opinionated but not anything to discredit; it's just the nature of the beast with a car such as this. I really like this guy's no-nonsense, subjective approach. I like it even moreso that he's an S2000 owner/lover himself, admits the shortcomings, but still loves the car. And I'll agree that the seats generally suck. They're very aesthetically nice seats, especially the ones with the hole in the headrest, but the bolstering is weak....I ordered a new foam cushion for my driver's side seat from Honda and I can tell it won't take much to permanently distort the foam. There's tricks around getting in and out of the car, but a regularly enjoyed s2000 will show signs of wear regardless. Of course people will chime in with "perfect" seats, but it's far from the norm with these cars. Also factor in the outrageous cost of the factory leather/vinyl replacement covers and you can really see why someone who prefers to keep a sorted interior will be driven nuts.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

The S2000 was dropped into and competed in a market saturated with Miatas (400,000 "NA" sold before 2000). The Miata model was selling well (even with a plastic rear window) and there was no reason to alter that formula -- and Mazda hasn't yet -- just create a signature car that stood above the Miata pack for we plebeians who couldn't afford an exotic. Price built cars have limitations and it's apparent Honda put the Yens (¥) in the chassis and drive train and not the interior or soft top.

The S2000 was pretty minimalist when released and even more so today. Heck, my truck has "50-way'" (exaggeration) power seats, steering wheel, and pedals and will automatically slide the seat to the rear and down, and move the pedals and steering wheel out of the way when I remove the key to allow porcine drivers easy entry/egress.

-- Chuck
Old 09-23-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I honestly really dislike the video lol. Feels like a grumpy Top Gear host with a bunch of pessimistic views, and not to much aspiring positives.

In fact, I tried a couple more of his videos, and they just aren't for me. Sure they're well edited, but nothing about the video lined up with how the car makes you feel. The video is basically a turn off to prospective buyers.
I concur with your well-stated observations sir. After driving 3 different model years, two of which were in great condition, the other was "OK", I came across the video and wondered why he was so grumpy about the car. I'm looking to buy an S2000 and found most of what he said to be useless and misleading.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Well he's on his fourth S2000 and had already created one very in-depth video more or less devoted to his addiction for these cars. He pretty much serves up his feelings free of any fluff that so many other people tack on in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience. If your looking for the warm & fuzzies then God knows there are plenty of other videos like that to be found out there. I'd be interested to know what content in particular this video contained that was thought to be misleading. The average buyer doesn't want to pick up a car and then immediately proceed to invest hundreds of hours just working on the car like Deckoz has. (Deckoz, I'm impressed with both your energy and your enthusiasm, but you're definitely an outlier as far as the average buyer is concerned.) Overall I think this video is a very positive resource for potential buyers. I would have been glad to have had this one at my disposal when I was shopping for a S2000.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a buyers guide is by definition targeted to those who have already made a decision to buy a certain model.

So a buyers guide shouldn't need to be enthusiastic and 'sell' the car. They've already been sold. Rational, experienced info is what a buyers guide should contain.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Most people on the road(not the forum) aren't buying 17 year old sports cars, let alone a second or third car, that also does their own work, all around. Most of the stuff I've done anyone can do with a service manual and a couple tools, I haven't even done anything serious yet... The majority of hours is just cleaning and detailing the car, that includes neglected areas as well. A clean car is easier to keep clean. I think anybody buying this age of car should be prepared to work, or pay for work.

You've gotta be realistic, old car, things wear out.
I agree. I've also done all of the work on my S2000 on my own. Next year I'll spring for new tires and an alignment — at at that point I'll need to seek outside assistance. But it I were to compare ownership experiences, you've invested far, far more time than I have in the first year of S2000 ownership (and your hours are still accumulating in this regard). From a standpoint of time is money, you've invested more in your car than most anyone else I've seen around here.

Quick Reply: Savagegeese made the best s2000 buyers guide video