S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Seat Locks

Old 12-29-2014, 04:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Locks

In looking into possible alternatives to the "hard-to-get" Kodokan locks for my 2007 S2000, I removed one of my rear OEM bolts to check the size. It's a M10 x 1.25 thread size. Anyone know if this is the same for all of the seat bolts and for all years? Somewhere in researching on s2ki I believe I was seeing a thread size of M8 x 1.25. Anyone give me the straight skinny on this?
Old 12-29-2014, 05:46 AM

A bit more research on this site and I've gottem the clear impression that the OEM front seat bolts have the M8x1.25 thread size, and I measured my rear ones to have M10x1.25 threads. This raises a couple of questions, the first being whether this is the same on all model years. And the other for anyone who has the Kodokan bolts: does he supply 4 bolts for each seat, or only two? And what size(s) are they?
I'm hot on the trail of high-strength, 5-point male Torx-head bolts at less than $3 ea.
I have no axe to grind with Peter, and I praise his past willingness to sacrifice his time in sourcing his bolts for the S2000 community. But it sure appears that there's a bunch of us thwarted in our desire and willingness to purchase his seat locks.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

From what I know the seat locks are only for the two front bolts per seat ( or is it the rear bolts ). 4 locks in a set.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM

Just confirmed from my 2007 S2000 factory shop manual that the front bolts have a 8M x 1.25 thread size, and the rears are 10M x 1.25.
And the high-strength, 5-point male Torx-head bolts I was chasing after are the wrong thread size.
Back to square one.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:02 AM

Here we go. I'll keep looking for some Torx machine screws in the M8 x 1.25 thread size, but this beats the OEM bolts-
http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=v8huuy
....click on Metric and then Flanged-
http://www.mcmaster.com/#92235a284/=v8hz5i
and at less than $4.00 (plus shipping) for 5 of them, not bad. My guess is that the local Home Depot, Lowe's or ACE Hardware would have something comparable. I doubt that the thief would cone with prepared Allen wrenches, and a bit of LocTite would make it tougher to remove with Vise Grips.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

The Kodokan (actually made by McGard-same manufacturer of other seat locks) come 4 to a set. 2 bolts for the front of the seat. Nothing for the rear bolts. If you can't remove the front bolts, who cares if you can unbolt the rears? The seats are not going anywhere. The fronts are usually the first to go as they are the easiest to see and access.

The McGard (Kodokan) are not just proper threads, they have been specifically designed and made for the S2000. They are hardened not just for anti-theft but meet standards for anchoring the seats in accidents. The heads are conical to resist a locking type (Vise-grip) tool to loosen them. They are only sold when proof of S2000 ownership is presented to prevent general distribution of the keys.

They are not outragously expensive. By the time you waste time and effort getting the proper stuff for a DIY, you might as well just get the superior product to begin with. McGard is in the business of making this kind of thing and has made these just for our car. Kodokan is the POC and does this for a service to other S owners. He is not getting rich for all the time and effort he puts into this. Hats off to him. :tip wink:

I understand Billman has an alternative but I am unfamiliar with his system.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
They are not outragously expensive. By the time you waste time and effort getting the proper stuff for a DIY, you might as well just get the superior product to begin with. McGard is in the business of making this kind of thing and has made these just for our car. Kodokan is the POC and does this for a service to other S owners. He is not getting rich for all the time and effort he puts into this. Hats off to him. :tip wink:

I understand Billman has an alternative but I am unfamiliar with his system.

As I posted, "I have no axe to grind with Peter, ...... But it sure appears that there's a bunch of us thwarted in our desire and willingness to purchase his seat locks." I've posted to his thread and sent a PM, but he's not been on s2ki since Oct 22nd. And no telling how long till he is again. So in the meantime................
Old 12-30-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in a similar position, got my S 2 years ago and contacted him last year some time and never got a chance to respond to my question so I have been stuck with leaving the seats in but now I really need the key that the previous owner had lost I am removing the soft top and putting in the CR tonneau cover in. I can use strip sockets to get it out but would destroy them in the process and would rather not do that. So if anyone has any leads on a key that I can buy or borrow I would greatly appreciate it
Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by kaptaink2002
I am in a similar position, got my S 2 years ago and contacted him last year some time and never got a chance to respond to my question so I have been stuck with leaving the seats in but now I really need the key that the previous owner had lost I am removing the soft top and putting in the CR tonneau cover in. I can use strip sockets to get it out but would destroy them in the process and would rather not do that. So if anyone has any leads on a key that I can buy or borrow I would greatly appreciate it
I had to wait some time before he responded for my lock request. I know he has had some health issues as well as other real world commitments. He will get to it when he can. He is doing this as a service for us. Just be patient and give him some slack on this.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by kaptaink2002' timestamp='1419959476' post='23451221
I had to wait some time before he responded for my lock request. I know he has had some health issues as well as other real world commitments. He will get to it when he can. He is doing this as a service for us. Just be patient and give him some slack on this.
Oh I am not complaining about him sorry if you had thought that. Just more of in a dilemma and looking for a solution to my lost key situation. I do really appreciate what he is doing and I think it is cool how he has the rights and only he can sell the locks. But if someone could help me I would really appriciate it.

Quick Reply: Seat Locks