S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sell or Store?

Old 12-27-2000, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been given an opportunity to work in the UK for 6 months and I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what to do with my beloved stook.

I won't have an apartment here so I would have to put the car in storage. I would also have to maintain my monthly car note and maintain full insurance as I don't own the title.

The other option is to sell, but I've become very attached to this car. I've also put a good deal of cash into modifications and add-ons.

I'm not really sure what to do, so suggestions and insight would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2000, 02:54 PM

I would store the car. I know it's hard to pay for something and not be able to enjoy. Six months is not that long.
Think of our friends back east where they have nasty weather for 3-4 months. Many of them have to store the car until the end of winter.
I don't know about you, but I had the worst purchasing experience with the Honda dealers while I was trying to purchase this car. I would hate to go through it again. Just my 2cents.

Old 12-27-2000, 03:03 PM

First of all, keep paying the notes on your car. That's no big deal because you want to pay the car off anyway. You have a couple of options in terms of insurance.

1. Call your insurance company and explain your situation. As them for a much reduced rate because the car will not be driven, and thus will be at very little risk. If they want to keep you as a customer, they will be able to do something for you.

2. Since your car will be in storage, comprehensive coverage on the storage unit you rent may be good enough to meet the terms or your loan. Check with your lender. Then suspend or drop the insurance on your car, and insure your storage unit. This is probably a good idea since even your car insurance wont cover you if the storage unit burns down.

Good luck, I hope you don't sell your car. Keep us informed what you find out.
Old 12-27-2000, 03:39 PM

I can move the wifes car and you could store it at my house I promise no track days
Old 12-27-2000, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Zoinks:
I've been given an opportunity to work in the UK for 6 months and I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what to do with my beloved stook.

I won't have an apartment here so I would have to put the car in storage. I would also have to maintain my monthly car note and maintain full insurance as I don't own the title.

The other option is to sell, but I've become very attached to this car. I've also put a good deal of cash into modifications and add-ons.

I'm not really sure what to do, so suggestions and insight would be appreciated.

Hey Zoinks, the answer to that one is easy. Do you really want to work in the UK for 6 months? As an ex-englishman, I can tell you that is the last place on earth I would want to spend any time.

Why do you think you see so many Brits living and working everywhere and anywhere else around the world . Keep the Stook and enjoy Texas - I know I did.
Old 12-27-2000, 05:30 PM

Store it if you want to make yourself happy later.
Sell it if you want to make someone else happy.
The choice is yours.
Old 12-27-2000, 06:01 PM

As much as I would want to keep the car for a welcome home party if I were you, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the fiscally right choice is to sell it.

It doesn't make sense to continue making full insurance and storage payments while you're gone, which will essentially be lost. The market for used S2k's is pretty good right now, and you can probably get one a used (or blue!) one when you get back.

Just my opinion. Actually one of my goals is to pay off the S2K (already took care of the house/garage, yeeha) and travel outside the US, then return without having to start over.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-27-2000, 06:25 PM

Store it. As someone else posted, the east coasters and canadians have to store their s2k's for at least 3-4 months. you can reduce your cost by reducing your insurance. explain it to your note holder, adn usually they will let you off with comp and liability. no collision coverage would be necessary as its not gonna hit anything, just store it on blocks. thats my feedback for ya! good luck either way.
Old 12-27-2000, 11:34 PM

My mother took a business trip with my dad to England several years ago and the only thing she really remembered about the country was, "The damned beer was warm!"

I wouldn't go unless they're paying you a sizeable bonus for going; if they are, store the stook, you can afford it.
Old 12-28-2000, 05:07 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'm going to half-ass attempt to sell it (high price, little exposure). I think this should satisfy the bean-counter in my head.

When I leave I'll store it. I spoke to my lender and insurance company. I have to keep comp insurance, but they managed to reduce the fee by $200 per year. I guess it's better than nothing

Quick Reply: Sell or Store?