S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Service dept. tells me I need a new clutch already!!!! Is it B.S.?

Old 09-25-2002, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service dept. tells me I need a new clutch already!!!! Is it B.S.?

I brought in my 2001 S2K for the spark plug recall a few days ago. While it was in the shop i figured I would have them take care of the buzzing that has been coming from my transmission when i decellerate in 3rd gear. This is a problem I have heard alot about on this website and it seemed pretty common. I had all of the symtoms of the Service Bulletin that is posted on this website titled "Buzzing from engine or transmission while decelerating" I even gave the Honda service shop a print out of the bullentin. My car has no other symptoms then an annoying buzzing sound when I am doing over 4K RPMS and i decelerate in 3rd gear.

They called me today and said that the reason for the buzzing is that I need a new clutch and it is going to cost me $1,200. Is this total B.S.? or can it be possible? My car is only 15months old. I do have alot of miles on it (around 20,000) But I am not hard on the clutch while driving and I am not an agressive driver. Do you think the service place was just trying to make some money off of me by doing uneccassary work? Or is it possible that i have burnt out my clutch already in just over a year of ownership?
Old 09-25-2002, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BS, go to a different dealer quickly. There is a tsb and Honda will pay for the replacement. The dealer is double dipping and Honda should be informed.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:15 PM

It's possible because I just toasted mine at 23K. In your case however since you say your not hard on it, I doubt it's the cause of the buzzing. In my situation, I was very hard on it. I did a lot of clutch slipping for launches in order to reduce the amount of shock to the drivetrain. Get them to do the TSB for free. The buzzing isn't caused from the cluth material being worn down, it's from the springs coming loose and rattling. Your the like third person I've seen post something like this in the past two days. Don't let Honda screw you, get it done for free. Fight it until they do!
Old 09-25-2002, 12:15 PM

FSures is right, my father had the same thing with his and the warranty does cover it, it is a plate that was not made right for the car and it buzzes or vibrates when decelerating in gear, but from what I was told, they have to take your tranny out to get to it so make sure you go to a place you can trust.

I am not totally sure about the tranny thing, but it def will be covered, screw that dealership and go elsewhere or report them to the better business bureau and go from there
Old 09-25-2002, 12:23 PM

Thanks guys!

For curiousity, what would be some signs that I would need a new clutch. Would I notice anything different while driving?
Old 09-25-2002, 12:48 PM

Normally when the clutch is gone it can/will slip in upper gears while driving. Usually manifests itself as an rpm increase with little or no noticeable speed increase.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by FSures
Normally when the clutch is gone it can/will slip in upper gears while driving. Usually manifests itself as an rpm increase with little or no noticeable speed increase.
That has never happened so now i know these guys are BS-ing me.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:36 PM

i would go to another honda dealer and have them check it out and if the clutch is still good have them document it and show the other dealer and tell them your gonna report this issue to honda.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:29 PM

Had my done under TSB 054 at 13500 Miles.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by RedHead
Had my done under TSB 054 at 13500 Miles.
What a joke. How many people with '02s have had to have this done?

Quick Reply: Service dept. tells me I need a new clutch already!!!! Is it B.S.?