S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: How does your 1st>2nd shift feel?
1.The shift is as clean and direct as 2nd into 3rd
60.19%
2.I consider this the worst shift on our car and sometimes I can't shift into 1st on a light.
39.81%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Shift from 1st into 2nd is a nightmare

Old 11-25-2005, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the gearbox completely lock me out of second before on a cold morning. It eventually goes in, but only after serious effort on my part.

I am a member of the grind once a week club. There is definitely an issue here. Something is awry with the internals as I can fully engage second gear (or at least the shift lever is fully engaged) but it seems like the I only get a partial gear mesh. The funny thing is, this happens mostly when the car is fully warmed up.

Needless to say, I am big fan of the 1-3 shift now.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:35 AM

In addition to all of the comments already posted about temperature related issues, also keep in mind that there have been defective gear boxes in more than a few cars.

My '05 had trouble with the 1-2 and the 3-2 shifts early on. I brought it to the dealer. He said that there was a "bulletin" from Honda on this problem. They had a new 1st/2nd gear sets in my car in 2 days. ... smooth shifting ever since.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there was also a TSB for early year models about the 1-2 grind. Something had to be replaced.

BTW, the best solutions I could find without doing anything to the gearbox were to raise the clutch pedal engagement point giving you an extra second which might be enough for the gear not to grind, and to switch to GM synchromesh friction modified tranny fluid. I've heard that one makes the biggest difference. It should be available at most GM dealerships. Make sure it says Friction Modified though.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:14 AM

I've never had a problem with this - yes, 1st to 2nd can be a "stiff" shift. A little more resistance than the other gears, but I've never had a grind and I absolutlely love to Vtec. My guess is you are doing speed shifts with out completely disengaging the clutch. In higher gears, you won't find it a big problem, but in the lower gears, your engine is making max rpm's while the tranny is doing "catch up."

This is not a big problem for those "old geezers" that learned to drive in "non-syncromesh" vehicles. Double clutching and matching ratio just becomes second nature to us. Take a a couple of tenths of a second more time in the shift to allow the syncromesh to match speed. You will "feel" the shift point in the handle of the shifter. As a little experiment, try shifting with a "double-clutch" and feel the difference is the ease of the shift.

Speed shifting will cause the syncromesh to ware in the lower gears. As that ware occurs, the ability to shift into that gear will get harder, and you will grind the gears more often as it wares. My "S" is also an 03, with 15,200 mile on it, and no problems, so far.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:38 AM

HA HA HA....YEA TRY SHIFTING FIRST TO SECOND IN AN AWD WITH 300 ponies with 300 torque....YEA TRY IT, I DARE YOU
Old 11-25-2005, 10:38 AM

It's not optimal when cold, but other than that it's fine. To the people tearing up 2nd gear, why the hell do you continue to cause damage when you know what's causing it? If I knew I was going to grind 1-2, I sure as well wouldn't be doing it to the point the gears/synchros need replacing. Retarded IMO.

Edit: typo.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrxrick,Nov 25 2005, 10:38 AM
HA HA HA....YEA TRY SHIFTING FIRST TO SECOND IN AN AWD WITH 300 ponies with 300 torque....YEA TRY IT, I DARE YOU
Did it in my friends Skyline GTR all the time, easy as pie.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:05 PM

When i drove it off the dealer's lot brand new, it was horrible. It's getting better and better each time i drive it. The car now has 41xx miles. This isn't too bad compare to my old car...2000 Audi A4. The A4's 1st->2nd shift is 10x worse.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:53 PM

compared to the s2k? You must be crazy
Old 11-25-2005, 02:12 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I got my S in April of '02 and had (2) 1-2 gear grinds in the first week.

I don't know if it was brains or luck, but I figured out how the tranny wants to be shifted, and I haven't had a 1-2 grind in any situation, since the first week of ownership.

Try this, it won't cost you anything:

1. Hit the clutch earlier in the 1-2 shift sequence.
[Also make sure the clutch is fully depressed. You don't have to hold the pedal down or slow down the motion in any way, just make sure you are fully engaging it.]

2. Hard leftward pressure on the shift lever throughout the 1-2 shift.
[Similar to going from 3-2. Keep the shift lever against the left gate the whole time.]

3. Shift 1-2 "consciously," don't use your natural rhythm. Adjust your timing.

Good luck!
-Pete

Quick Reply: Shift from 1st into 2nd is a nightmare