S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shifting smoothness & oil changes. Why?

Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find that my cars always seen "happy" after oil changes, as well as basically any maint.

maybe its just in my head
Old 10-18-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just kidding, they are not connected in any way. The 00-03 trans has some notchiness, I drain it every year and put new mtf in.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 AM

I just got my oil changed and a new air filter installed. Now the leather upholstery feels softer and the Silverstone finish is deeper and shinier.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:44 AM

Oh my God, you've been changing the transmission fluid all this time. Get out and get a REAL motor oil change soon.

Just kidding, but seriously it could be...
Old 10-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

All joking aside, I agree with the OP.

I have an 04 Ap2 with 20K on it. Changed the tranny fluid and diff fluid at 15K (honda MTF and Mobil 1 75w90). Sure this made a large difference in the shifter feel, but near 20K the nitchiness came back in the 1-2 shift.

I changed the oil this weekend in the motor (10w30 MObil 1) and the shifter is perfect again.

Nuts, maybe. But I know better than this to be in my head.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 PM

Just a thought, but did you do the work yourself or was it done at your local shop? Could they have topped off or changed the tranny fluid w/o you knowing?
Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by papadoc,Oct 19 2008, 06:30 PM
Just a thought, but did you do the work yourself or was it done at your local shop? Could they have topped off or changed the tranny fluid w/o you knowing?
Mine was done in my garage - which further puts this into the realm of strange coincidences. Unless my wife snuck out there....
Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

after an oil change, which i usuallly do, it seems to run smoother and perhaps has a bit more pick up, i have noticed this as well. far as the trans being different i have not experienced that, only temp changes seem to make a difference, colder is notchier as example.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by RTZX9R,Oct 19 2008, 06:14 PM
All joking aside, I agree with the OP.

I have an 04 Ap2 with 20K on it. Changed the tranny fluid and diff fluid at 15K (honda MTF and Mobil 1 75w90). Sure this made a large difference in the shifter feel, but near 20K the nitchiness came back in the 1-2 shift.

I changed the oil this weekend in the motor (10w30 MObil 1) and the shifter is perfect again.

Nuts, maybe. But I know better than this to be in my head.
Yah yah... You guys and joke all you want, but oil changes seem to have some effect on the shifter feel. Perhaps it's just my car since I got it at 45k, and the previous owner could have been tearing up the tranny.

It's a bit odd. It's smooth in the summer, smooth in the winter, notchy in the summer notchy in the winter. I thought temperature made a difference, but I tend to lean towards the Winter being smoother. Someone in the delval really should try driving my car around. I'd like to driving someone else's delval (just around the block) to see if there's a difference in shifter feel. What is smooth to one may not be to another.

To answer a couple posts:

- I've been doing my own oil changes every 5k. Only went to Honda once.

- I've definitely been draining the motor oil and not doing tranny oil changes. I'm sure the engine oil cap and dipstick would be showing otherwise if I was draining the incorrect oil ;-)

I first learned of GM Syncromesh when I had my VW. The vr6 trans had an issue with 1-2 to shifting and redline, mobile1 didn't do the trick until someone posted something along the lines of "guys at the honda forums swear by this syncromesh stuff" so.. I gave it a go on my VW and shifting became 10x smoother.

Anyway, don't want to turn this into an oil debate as it can get fairly heated about my lube > your lube. From what I've seen, as long as you're regularly changing your oil, your car will be fine despite what oil is used =) But to be the devil's advocate, I have though come into an interesting additive by chance and must say it makes a big difference (take my claim with a grain of salt) and will be trying the additive for the tranny to see if it makes much difference.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 AM

My car feels the same way when I get a fresh oil change.

Quick Reply: Shifting smoothness & oil changes. Why?