S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shipping Advise, Please?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ncaudio
If you had like 2 weeks with someone to do a drive on 2 lane highways and see America, maybe, but alone on interstates, mainly looking to get home, not such a big deal IMHO and no offense to S2000's, but like a lot of sports cars they have a stiff suspension and are noisy, fun for a moderate length drive, but it gets old after about 5 hours and it's not like you are using all that performance and handling on the interstate.
It's a subjective matter and the OP needs to make the call. I've made plenty of long roadtrips in my S to each of the coasts and up north spending many hours in the S in a day and found it comfortable. I flew out and drove mine back when I bought it. I'd definitely do the drive. As with any subjective matter, YMMV.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty
Driving is a good opportunity to get acquainted. On my drive home from Chicago I found that I need to have the wheels aligned and balanced and I can expect to replace the clutch cylinders soon.

Your point is well made about getting acquainted, but I'm already covered in that area. A few very good friends of mine, whom are on the forums, have lent me their cars on occasion and I have discovered just how interesting they can be. It's one of the many reasons I fell head over heals for this car. Besides, there will be plenty of time for road trips later on.

But since informing my parents about the idea of road-tripping it back, they are sending me on an all-expense-paid guilt trip about the possibility of fiery vehicular death, or breakdown, or any other possible catastrophes. LOLZ. They're just parents being parents, I suppose. Shipping it shall be, then.

In any event, thanks to Kyras, another forum member, I've been put in touch with a company called Stateway, which quoted me $1339 for enclosed shipping. I thought this was rather impressive so I'll be giving them a call tomorrow on my lunch break to confirm. If all goes well, I'll have my very first dream car just before my birthday. 2013 is gonna be my best year, yet!!

EDIT: This is what I bought. The seller happens to be one of my very best friends, so I figured, "Why the hell not?"
Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

BBB on Stateway Auto Transport, 127 complaints (reported) in the past few years:

http://www.bbb.org/chicago/business-...829/complaints

Be aware that there are a few suspiciously commercial web sites with transport company reviews. Read the comments and you'll notice things like: "I was offered $250 by Andy, a representative of Stateway Auto Transport Inc., if I promised NOT to write this review."

Bottom line, they are a broker, they don't own trucks, they don't employ drivers. They make a few hundred bucks on your deal and then pass it on to any truck driver willing to pick up your car. If the bid is too low your car will sit there until you offer to pay more. You will be forced to sign away any recourse if your car is damaged in transit. The driver will demand cash payment, if you don't pay you won't get your car, even if they damaged it. Good luck trying to collect for damage after you've paid them cash.

I'd either drive it myself or pay for a real shipping company that owns their own trucks & drivers. Transport brokers are shady.

Ughh http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...s-c374967.html
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM

For a real shipping line, check out Intercity Lines. I just posted some photos in the Norcal forum a couple days ago of my S in their truck. They use a lift rather than a ramp, so perfect for low cars. They were AWESOME! Not single issue - 100% professional. And no, I dont own stock in the company! But hey, Jay Leno uses them.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/105...r-a-year-help/

I can't stand more than 2-3 hours in the S2000, and mine is stock. I shipped mine from Virginia to CA and drove my Toyota Tacoma.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 AM

Not sure if it's too late, but I got my 2007 BB shipped from Cupertino , CA to Syracuse NY (I live in Canada and that was the closest city that they could ship to without delays). I went with magic carpet auto transport and dealt with Jeff Vigue. Paid 900 in total in an open carrier. The car arrived without any damage but was dirty as hell. Took them 7 days from pickup (which was 2 days after I signed up with magic carpet).
Very pleased.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetadad
The car arrived without any damage but was dirty as hell. Took them 7 days from pickup (which was 2 days after I signed up with magic carpet).
Very pleased.
Huh???????????
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by s2ka
BBB on Stateway Auto Transport, 127 complaints (reported) in the past few years:

http://www.bbb.org/c...3829/complaints

Be aware that there are a few suspiciously commercial web sites with transport company reviews. Read the comments and you'll notice things like: "I was offered $250 by Andy, a representative of Stateway Auto Transport Inc., if I promised NOT to write this review."

Bottom line, they are a broker, they don't own trucks, they don't employ drivers. They make a few hundred bucks on your deal and then pass it on to any truck driver willing to pick up your car. If the bid is too low your car will sit there until you offer to pay more. You will be forced to sign away any recourse if your car is damaged in transit. The driver will demand cash payment, if you don't pay you won't get your car, even if they damaged it. Good luck trying to collect for damage after you've paid them cash.

I'd either drive it myself or pay for a real shipping company that owns their own trucks & drivers. Transport brokers are shady.

Ughh http://www.complaint...is-c374967.html
The man I spoke to, Bill, told me that Stateway did have their own truck and drivers and that they were NOT brokers. So now having read some of the complaints, many of which said very similar things, I guess they're out of the picture. Too bad though, $1339 for enclosed shipping seemed like one hell of a deal. But with all that negative feedback, its not looking so good now. Back to square one.

Kaputnik, if you don't mind my asking, what were you charged for shipping your S enclosed? I just remembered that with the ripped soft top, and rainy weather approaching for some parts of the country, out of caution and my own panicky nature, enclosed shipping is now a requisite. The fact that Jay Leno endorses them tells me two things: they paid him for it, or they really are good people to trust your car too. Gotta keep looking.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Kaputnik, if you don't mind my asking, what were you charged for shipping your S enclosed?
I just went through my paperwork, and darn, I can't give you an exact number for only the car. I paid $2888.00 that also included my Harley Davidson (you can see it in front of my S2K in the truck), from Norfolk VA to San Rafael CA. Undoubtably not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for in this business. They have their own fleet, so no brokers. I decided to go with the best - they transport cars for races, collectors etc - since it was covered by my moving expense from my new job here in CA.

What I can tell you was that my driver was incredibly professional and courteous. He called every day with an update. It was a total relief to not have any stress once I saw the way he loaded into the truck, secured it, and the fact that the truck was spotlessly clean!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contemplated this when I bought my S! I ended up flying to Montrose, renting a ridgeline, and driving 2.5 hours through the canyons to Glenwood Springs (just north of aspen) with my dad. I dropped him off at Denver airport since he had to work that night and drove home to Dallas, TX! It was about 1300 miles driving if I remember correctly. Also I drove it "nonstop" only stopping for gas/food/red bull. I loved it, even the long drive through NM and TX.

It was def a learning experience as my 1st manual car to own; I drove my brother's manual civic for about 6 months prior. If you drive it you can use the opportunity to stop or visit places you have always wanted to see and may not have the chance to again!

In 2010 I (and ~350 members from around the country) also drove it to the Homecoming event in LA from Dallas, and again, loved it! I met with about 30 other s owners in Phoenix and we all caravanned out to LA through the desert!

Quick Reply: Shipping Advise, Please?